Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycool1111 View Post
It also depends on whether you have pets/kids and risk of dropping liquid on the floor. Won't most wood types rot/go bad if there is liquid dropped on it?
If it sits for long or you don't regularly clean/buff/etc your floors. We've had wood floors in all 4 houses growing up. We've only had two issues. Once when I was young and left a wet towel on the floors for days(someone got in trouble) and secondly when some tenants decided to paint the original hardwoods black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 02:30 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maanu View Post
Hi All,

I had received excellent inputs from the members for master up or down question. Now, I am coming with another one. Looking forward to all your guidance and inputs.

We prefer to go in for tile flooring the entire ground floor except the master - which will be carpet.

Now, from my friends I hear,

* Tile is not good for re-sale.

* I am not leaning towards wood as for 1. It is expensive 2. I do not want to go throguh the yearly maintenance hazzle. Want to have a carefree maintenance - that only a tile floor can offer. But, I get strong suggestions that wooden floowing is what will be appealing for resale. It it is such a deal breaker/maker, I am double minded about it now.

* Instead of piling the money on wood and tile, I also think of just having a good carpet and leaving it there. That way, in future, if I need I can always upgrade to tile or wood - but for the time being I can be done with the carpet. Personally, I do not like carpet - the only plus point is, the least expensive.

Need guidance and suggestion on Carpet vs Tile Vs Wooden flooring.

Between, I have kids 9 & 5.
I think the wood maintenance concern may be overblown. We don't maintain our wood floors really and they look good. About every 5-10 years you have to get them sanded. Not that big of deal.

Tile stinks for resale. People want wood floors.

That being said, I would do what makes you happy. It is floor covering- which is a fairly easy fix if the buyer has a different preference.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:52 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,661,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
This is not true. Most builders are putting tile on the entire 1st floor for their spec homes. They save a little money by not always doing wood, and most put it on a diagonal so it looks nice. Buyers love it.

To the OP, tile is not maintenance free, specially when you have kids. You need to seal and reseal the grout every so often. Some brands are every 6 months, some are yearly. Some, you can mop the sealer on, but others, you actually have to have a tool that rolls only onto the grout as it's not good for the tile.
Tile is all we put in our specs on first floor. It does safe money for us and people seem to like it especially if they have small children.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:02 PM

140 posts, read 232,817 times
We have all tile downstairs (kitchen, living room, bedroom) except for library and dining room (hard wood). It looks great, but it's cold in winter, hard on the feet (my feet hurt for the first week, until I got used to it), gets your feet dirtier than carpet, shows dirt more than carpet, and is a pain in the butt to clean and maintain compared to carpet. Frankly, I'd have preferred carpet, but the house we wanted (for other reasons) came with tile, and I'm not going to carpet over it, because I'm pretty sure the "look" will make it re-sell better, practicalities aside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas