Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM

937 posts, read 2,907,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I was fortunate enough to be born white and middle class and live in north Dallas.

I shudder to think what would have become of me if I had not been. The DISD certainly wouldn't have given a squirt of p*ss for my future.

The DISD's schools are unacceptably bad. Just because Woodrow, Hillcrest, and White still have some local support from middle class families does not mean that DISD schools are not being sucked down the toilet. Let's not be naive, please!
Not being naive...I went to a DISD school other than those 3 and "survived". But yes my school definitely had a lot of kids that didn't give a crap and lots of immigrants that didn't have a chance, no matter what school they went to. Had some great teachers though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 02:24 PM

937 posts, read 2,907,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Perhaps the problem isn't DISD curriculum or DISD staff, but the parents and students in under preforming schools?
It is definitely a huge part of it. I wouldn't say it is all on the parents/students though.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:40 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Geez, a bunch of glass half empty folks I see. I didn't say that DISD doesn't have bad schools, but it's pretty notable when the two best public schools in the country are in one city.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:43 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Geez, a bunch of glass half empty folks I see. I didn't say that DISD doesn't have bad schools, but it's pretty notable when the two best public schools in the country are in one city.
People need to remember that those schools have small student bodies chosen from the creme de la creme of what a massive urban school district has to offer. It's not hard to do well with students like that, and the DISD clearly cares more about its magnet schools than it does about its other high schools, where it seems a lot of the students are just left to rot.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Now nD, you seem to have turned out pretty well...

Old 12-11-2007, 02:52 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
People need to remember that those schools have small student bodies chosen from the creme de la creme of what a massive urban school district has to offer. It's not hard to do well with students like that, and the DISD clearly cares more about its magnet schools than it does about its other high schools, where it seems a lot of the students are just left to rot.
You would know more about the school system than I nD. I haven't been to a Dallas school nor raised a child that went to the DISD. I do know the DISD has some pretty severe problems.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:56 PM

I have remained actively involved in my alma mater and its feeder schools (I'm even on the PTA board) so I am current with my info. I've also had a RE Broker's license for 25 years and own rentals so it's part of my job to know what's going on..

*I do have a 'real' job of 20 years (oil and gas) as well...

Old 12-11-2007, 03:13 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Now nD, you seem to have turned out pretty well...
I think I'd have turned out pretty well no matter where I went to school because I'm intelligent and I have parents who value education. I don't think the DISD had too much of a hand in my success; I think I'd have done just as well if not better in a more challenging environment. High school was too easy.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:14 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Well, I for one, think that it is quite an honor for Dallas. This is no small feat to achieve, especially when most other cities the size of Dallas have thrown up their hands and given up even trying to make any improvements whatsoever in their schools, teaching or curriculums, especially with the exodus to the 'burbs and the loss of money and support that went with it.

It just goes to show you what can happen when people get behind and support the schools and develop programs and environments where students not only are able to learn, but actually excel when doing so.

What has been accomplished needs to be looked upon as a fine example of what can be, not only in DISD, but in all other districts as well. And, unless you're willing to put forth the same efforts as many obviously did to make this happen here, criticism is a mute point. Pointing fingers at what has not been accomplished yet, instead of celebrating what has, serves no positive purpose whatsoever.

As the old saying goes... put your money where your mouth is... it's efforts that make these type things happen... and it takes a community of efforts to set them into action. And, if you're waiting around for "them" to do it, then you've already missed the boat.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:12 PM

This mom's proud to defend DISD | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Columnist James Ragland | Dallas-Fort Worth News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/localnews/columnists/jragland/stories/DN-ragland_08met.ART.North.Edition1.37275bf.html - broken link)

"Their older son, Ben, graduated from W.T. White as a National Merit Finalist, passed 17 Advanced Placement exams and served as a captain on the varsity football and basketball teams, she said.

"And he never had a tutor," she proudly pointed out, adding that he didn't need one because the level of classroom instruction he received was top-notch.

Ben, by the way, is now a sophomore at Yale University – along with several other DISD students from South Oak Cliff, Woodrow Wilson and Hillcrest high schools..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas