Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:33 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
>> We replaced our 150A panel in our 2600 sq ft home with a 200A panel, but we did so because it was a Fed Pacific panel (they have a reputation of catching on fire).<<

We have a federal pacific panel - who did your work for you? Cost?
we had the work done by C&F Electrical (don't seem to have their card anymore). Pulling the old 150A Fed Pac panel and installing a new 200A Cutler Hammer panel, including a "whole home surge suppressor" (located inside the panel, a little extra piece of mind) cost us a total of $1490, about 14-15 months ago. This included the new panel, surge suppressor, new breakers and installation. I was quite happy with their work.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:09 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf2wake View Post
i do have gas near the range and the clothes dryer, but i dont want to switch those (mainly bc i just purchased an electric dryer)

it is not a fed pacific panel, it's a square d. i actually contacted the original company that did the install on the panel when the house was built 11 years ago. he did load scale ad up w/ the MAX or higher than normal on items in the house and it only added up to 132 amps for him.

i think this company that the home warranty company sent out was just tyring to take me for a ride (because the warranty company said they would not cover it).

i'm going to get a few more opinions on it, as well as check the things the origianl installer said to check.

the original installer said the contractor that was sent out was totally wrong.

Sadly, you have to REALLY watch the companies that the home warranty people send out. We had one come out for our pool heater. The guy tried to charge me MORE than my deductible and this was after an hour of him taking the thing apart and then coming to tell me he did not know a single thing about that model and would have to get someone else. Um, NO!!!!!! I'm not paying you one red cent and NOT over what I'm SUPPOSED to pay. They were a ripoff. I called the warranty comp back and asked for another company to company to come out for the pool. The second guy found the problem in a few minutes and fixed it for less than the deductible. It was like a $5 part that had gone bad. LOL!!! We did have the gas company put in a larger gas meter but we have gas just about everything minus the dryer.

We also have GP&L and we have always had some kind of quick flicker when we switch on something that sucks up the power. We even had that problem when we had other electric companies. By the way, welcome to the neighborhood. I'm betting you live in the same neighborhood as our first home but in the newer section in the back. Have you caught the fireworks yet on Saturday nights at the mall? They do that the entire month of December on Saturday nights at 8:00. There are also choralers and carraige rides at the mall on the weekends.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:34 PM

69 posts, read 289,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Sadly, you have to REALLY watch the companies that the home warranty people send out. We had one come out for our pool heater. The guy tried to charge me MORE than my deductible and this was after an hour of him taking the thing apart and then coming to tell me he did not know a single thing about that model and would have to get someone else. Um, NO!!!!!! I'm not paying you one red cent and NOT over what I'm SUPPOSED to pay. They were a ripoff. I called the warranty comp back and asked for another company to company to come out for the pool. The second guy found the problem in a few minutes and fixed it for less than the deductible. It was like a $5 part that had gone bad. LOL!!! We did have the gas company put in a larger gas meter but we have gas just about everything minus the dryer.

We also have GP&L and we have always had some kind of quick flicker when we switch on something that sucks up the power. We even had that problem when we had other electric companies. By the way, welcome to the neighborhood. I'm betting you live in the same neighborhood as our first home but in the newer section in the back. Have you caught the fireworks yet on Saturday nights at the mall? They do that the entire month of December on Saturday nights at 8:00. There are also choralers and carraige rides at the mall on the weekends.
Thank you for the welcome!!! And yes, we do live in Valley Creek. Just got our hands on a pretty nice foreclosure that just kind of fell in me and my fiance's lap, it was a deal we couldnt pass up. It's actually right on Valley Creek drive, but it is the "newer" part compared to the other part of Valley Creek Dr where the acouldasacs are. The house sat there for about 8 months, but we didnt have to do much fix up, except for cosmetic stuff, paint and stuff.

We saw the fireworks on Saturday night when we were heading over to Hobby Lobby. I thought that was really cool that they do that, I assumed they do it every Saturday, but I didnt know about the carolers and carraige rides. I really LOVE that area. I never thought that I could say I live in Garland, and it be such an amazing area of town!!!!!

The pool equimpent w/ the warranty is another thing we are gonna have to see how good of people they send out when the spring rolls around.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:48 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,338 times
Quote:
The pool equimpent w/ the warranty is another thing we are gonna have to see how good of people they send out when the spring rolls around.
Some warranty providers will allow you to select your service company from their list of "preferred" vendors. If you have the name of a recommended vendor, you can see if they are on the list. I wouldn't hold my breath to get a match, however.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:38 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Hi.

I am a Texas Master and Electrical Engineer. Not looking for work, just speaking to the topic. A 132 amp draw through a 150 amp panel should not be dimming your lights (indicating a voltage drop) unless there is some problem in the feeders (the big wires coming in) or their connections. Voltage drops on individual circuits -- the smaller wires that come out from the small circuit breakers -- may happen if that particular circuit were overloaded.

I would look first for corrosion or damage at the main lugs or the main breaker feeding the panel. A few years back a manufacturing company -- Siemens or ITE, I think it was, had a bunch of bad lugs they shipped out made from bad Aluminum. They did a half-ass public notice, but no one really saw it. Those lugs will heat up and damage the wire causing resistance and more heat causing more resistance . . . on and on.

I have caught those with the insulation on the feeder wires melted all the way back into the pipes (entry conduits). By that point the heat has usually damaged the panel, as well. The first things folks notice are dimming lights, and usually next the Main Breaker starts tripping from the heat in the wire.

While replacing the panel would tend to cure all of that, because generally new Mains, feeders and all the rest are part of a new service change,the panel may not be the problem.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Hi.

I am a Texas Master and Electrical Engineer. Not looking for work, just speaking to the topic. A 132 amp draw through a 150 amp panel should not be dimming your lights (indicating a voltage drop) unless there is some problem in the feeders (the big wires coming in) or their connections. Voltage drops on individual circuits -- the smaller wires that come out from the small circuit breakers -- may happen if that particular circuit were overloaded.

I would look first for corrosion or damage at the main lugs or the main breaker feeding the panel. A few years back a manufacturing company -- Siemens or ITE, I think it was, had a bunch of bad lugs they shipped out made from bad Aluminum. They did a half-ass public notice, but no one really saw it. Those lugs will heat up and damage the wire causing resistance and more heat causing more resistance . . . on and on.

I have caught those with the insulation on the feeder wires melted all the way back into the pipes (entry conduits). By that point the heat has usually damaged the panel, as well. The first things folks notice are dimming lights, and usually next the Main Breaker starts tripping from the heat in the wire.

While replacing the panel would tend to cure all of that, because generally new Mains, feeders and all the rest are part of a new service change,the panel may not be the problem.

i agree, i think replacing the panel is going a little overboard. i'm going to check all the connections this weekend (i wanted to yesterday, but w/ the rain, and that my panel is outside, i decided not to )

Old 12-21-2007, 06:58 AM

Ok. The problem was fixed. It was on GP&L's side. After many hours of trouble shooting and researching the web, I figured out it could be an open circuit/neutral. From what I read, 9 times out of 10, that problem occures on the power company's side. I called GP&L and they were at my house w/ in 30 mins.

AND YES!!!! It was a loose neutral in the box in the back alley. He replaced the bolt to the neutral and tightened it down real good, along w/ the other bolts at the terminal... and the dimming is GONE!!!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM

52 posts, read 119,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
If you purchased "building code changes and permits" from the home warranty as an option they'll cover it, otherwise they'll say it was an existing problem and they won't cover it.

I've run into this where a homeowner had the box upgraded instead of replaced and it cost her about 400. If it's a Federal Pacific panel, they will have to replace it.

Also, the electrician you use could find you a used one and that would cost less.

Naima
I just bought my house back in April and noticed that it has an old Federal Pacific panel. If my home warranty has "building code changes and permits" included would they replace my panel?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester03 View Post
I just bought my house back in April and noticed that it has an old Federal Pacific panel. If my home warranty has "building code changes and permits" included would they replace my panel?
I'm pretty sure they would because of the FP's being very dangerous.

Just call them and ask. Tell them exactly why the FP's are bad. I would gather as much data as possible to help explain to them so maybe they will just do it with out giving you too much flak.

good luck, i hope they take care of it for you, because, from what i've read w/ all of the research i did for my problem, the federal pacific panels are VERY dangerous.. probably why FP is no longer in business.

let us know what happens

Old 12-22-2007, 02:52 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times
Quote:
Ok. The problem was fixed. It was on GP&L's side. After many hours of trouble shooting and researching the web, I figured out it could be an open circuit/neutral. From what I read, 9 times out of 10, that problem occures on the power company's side. I called GP&L and they were at my house w/ in 30 mins.

AND YES!!!! It was a loose neutral in the box in the back alley. He replaced the bolt to the neutral and tightened it down real good, along w/ the other bolts at the terminal... and the dimming is GONE!!!!!!!!
Great to hear you had this remedied without cost to you and that GP&L was finally responsive! Very informative info that should be helpful to a lot of others in the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: