U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2006, 04:21 PM

9 posts, read 40,318 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking for a house in the dfw area. We are looking in South Arlington near mansfield. We heard it is a good area because it is in Mansfield ISD. We have driven around and really like the neighborhood. The problem is the houses seem to be priced pretty low and there are lots of them for sale. Is this a dream come true, or is there really something wrong with the area that I haven't found yet. Taxes seem pretty high, but we can deal with that. Thanks for advance for any help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 05:34 PM

1,560 posts, read 6,826,749 times
My dad lives in north Mansfield, just south of Debbie lane. There are a lot of new neighborhoods being built in the Mansfield/south Arlington area. From what I understand it's a safe area with low crime (but I'd recommend you verify that yourself.) I don't know what the foreclosure rate is, (you can check by looking at the name of the property owner at the Tarrant Appraisal District (www.tad.org) (broken link), if it's owned by a bank, it's most likely a foreclosure.

I wasn't too impressed with Mansfield's TAKS scores. (http://www.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/reporting/taksagg/yr0506/index.html (broken link) you can check for yourself along with other districts.) They weren't horrid (see Dallas ISD), but they weren't on par with many of the northern suburbs. (see Plano ISD)

As far as the city goes, Mansfield is growing. They have most of the major "big box" stores, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, etc, but no mall. For that you'll have to go the Parks in Arlington. There are plenty of dining options, but not my favorite (Carrabba's). That requires a trip to Addison.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:48 PM

14,864 posts, read 39,861,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurav View Post
My family and I are looking for a house in the dfw area. We are looking in South Arlington near mansfield. We heard it is a good area because it is in Mansfield ISD. We have driven around and really like the neighborhood. The problem is the houses seem to be priced pretty low and there are lots of them for sale. Is this a dream come true, or is there really something wrong with the area that I haven't found yet. Taxes seem pretty high, but we can deal with that. Thanks for advance for any help.
If it is a new or newer neighborhood and there are LOTS of homes for sale, I would check to see how many or foreclosures (can bring the market way down and they are not kept up either). In that case I would find another neighborhood. You can look on the tax roles and it is sometimes on the MSL information if it is a foreclosure. If the "owner" listed is a bank or mortgage company then it is a foreclosure. You have to look at why those homes were priced the way they were when built and the builders target market. Where they enticing the homebuyer that was trying to get as big of a new house as they could no matter the quality for as little as possible. Then were the buyers given all kinds of different financing options to get them the biggest house they wanted, not afford but wanted. These are the areas that have been getting hit the hardest w/ high numbers of foreclosures. If your worried about it find a little bit older neighborhood that is a little more established and drive around and see how the homes & yards are kept up (something hard to know in a new development). If you have kids look for lots of signs of kids (bikes out and such). Drive thru the neighborhood right after school gets out for a good idea also about the number of kids in the neighborhood.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 PM

12 posts, read 86,364 times
One problem with the Mansfield ISD is that the zones for schools change almost every year! Because Mansfield is rapidly growing, the schools can either A) overpopulate or B) open a new one when needed. I have many friends who started high school in one school, and are now in a different high school but still living in the same house. As for the education, Mansfield ISD has great academics, along with pretty good athletics.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:07 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,454,228 times
I lived in South Arlington in teh 80s, when it was very nice and safe-i hear it isnt any more. I went to Sam Houston High and it was great, i loved it.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:45 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,982,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
There are plenty of dining options, but not my favorite (Carrabba's). That requires a trip to Addison.
A Carrabba's. I know the owner of this store (my sister's friends dad). The real Carrabba's is in Houston close to Downtown. Every other one is a chain.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:21 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,826,749 times
Chain or not, I love the food. Not that I'm opposed to visiting the original one when I'm in Houston.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,627 times
South Arlington is a great area if it is in the Mansfield ISD. I would not recommend South Arlington in the Arlington school district. I have heard horror stories about the school district and the surrounding neighborhoods. I would try to get as close as possible to the neighborhoods surrounding Mansfield Webb. Basically any neighborhood serviced by the Mansfield ISD. My son is in the Mansfield ISD and basically we pay higher taxes so the schools can have more money to furnish our children with a better education. Mansfield may not have a mall (and hopefully that is not a deciding factor regarding where you want to raise your children) but Arlington Highlands and the Parks are 4 miles away. There are alot of homes for sale because people were getting homes they could not afford and if you think about it that equals savings for you. I have never seen a foreclosed home in my neighborhood that has not been kept up.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 AM

99 posts, read 262,404 times
There's a Carrabba's at Northeast Mall. Still a drive, but a bit closer than Addisson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas