Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 12:54 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I'll also note that even if you had a gas line coming to your house, unless your kitchen is "plumbed for gas" already running a new gas line into the kitchen is a major PITA if your house is on a slab, as most are in DFW (BigDGeek is fortunate to live in one of the limited areas where pier&beam is more common).
Usually there are gas lines in the attic that be tapped into and run down an exterior wall. By the time you add the cooktop, the labor and the line I've been quoted pricing starting at $2,000.

If the cooktop is on an island... Forget about it. You'd have to tear up the slab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 04:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
(PS to BigDGeek - what would your dream gas range be? Thermador, Wolf, Viking, Dacor?
For my home, probably a Bosch. They're so pretty. My kitchen won't fit a massive gas range unless I want to start tearing more cabinets than I'd have to tear out to install a slide-in, which is what I want. I don't have a range right now, just a cooktop and a wall oven. I'm not going to spend the money to tear out what I'd have to tear out just to put in a crappy builder-grade range.

If money and space were not considerations...Viking.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:46 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
I'll also note that even if you had a gas line coming to your house, unless your kitchen is "plumbed for gas" already running a new gas line into the kitchen is a major PITA if your house is on a slab, as most are in DFW.
The degree of difficulty here depends on the house. My house had gas heat and fireplace, but not in the kitchen. The solution was to run the gas line down the exterior of the house, which was a straight 25 feet from the gas meter. Our plumber did this in an afternoon.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:05 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
The degree of difficulty here depends on the house. My house had gas heat and fireplace, but not in the kitchen. The solution was to run the gas line down the exterior of the house, which was a straight 25 feet from the gas meter. Our plumber did this in an afternoon.
True, although as noted, you need to have your stove/cooktop/whatever along an exterior wall. One of our final home choices had an electric cooktop on an island. Well, so much for that. And DON'T EVEN get me started on the whole "you have a gas dryer and a gas fireplace, why the holy heck couldn't you run the gas line the extra 25 feet to the kitchen" thing. I think I made exactly that comment in my first thread ever on this forum 3 years ago.

And to BigDGeek- I'm a Wolf fan myself. Check them out if you ever win a lottery or find 25 large on the street or whatever. (One day we'll replace our serviceable but unspectacular gas cooktop with a Wolf or Thermador or the like. Sadly it's probably #387 on the list of stuff to fix/change/upgrade with the house)

Old 05-18-2014, 06:11 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzstyle00 View Post
My wife keeps complaining of the 'ever-slow' electric stove and wants to convert to a gas stove which she says heats things up much faster. So I'm asking advice from forum on which is the most cost efficient way to convert to either a gas stove?
I'm assuming a natural gas stove would be a big job since we don't have gas lines coming in to our home. Was wondering if there were ovens that run on propane gas jars(the ones ones we use for barbecuing)?.
Any other ideas are much appreciated.
You do not want propane bottles inside your home which I'm sure is not legal anyway.
If you do not have gas lines to your home already you will have to have those installed first.
Then the gas lines can be run inside the home wherever you want them.
You will have to purchase a new stove that uses gas but get one that will convert from natural gas use to propane use.
I personally would not have a home without gas but I dislike electric stoves or stove tops.
I also would not have a home that has electric heat or water heater, the dryer being electric I can live with. We have an electric dryer which is much more convenient when renting, many landlords do not have a gas line for the dryer even if they have one for the stove.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:06 AM

91 posts, read 162,968 times
Interesting discussion. Can someone tell me if the "older" (built in 1995-2000 range) homes in Grapevine and Coppell have gas stoves or gas in general ?

Thanks

Old 05-19-2014, 07:13 AM

411 posts, read 416,249 times
Gas fumes are really bad for you. Just buy a new electric stove as the elements are brand new and won't take as long to heat up as your old ones.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:59 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJT View Post
Interesting discussion. Can someone tell me if the "older" (built in 1995-2000 range) homes in Grapevine and Coppell have gas stoves or gas in general ?

Thanks
KJST it is hit or miss! I have been looking at houses in Gvine, Cville and Coppell for the better part of 2 years. It's a deal breaker for me too. We don't mind remodeling to add it- but if doing that is an impossibility I would pass on the house.

To the OP, get a gas- certified plumber to come over and quote it for you

Old 05-19-2014, 02:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Have a friend in Coppell whose house is older than that, but he said the gas line was stubbed (built but capped off and not in use) and replacing the electric cooktop with gas was an afternoon project. I'm not sure about 'newer' houses.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:41 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Have a friend in Coppell whose house is older than that, but he said the gas line was stubbed (built but capped off and not in use) and replacing the electric cooktop with gas was an afternoon project. I'm not sure about 'newer' houses.
When we were looking at houses that had a gas line to the kitchen but said kitchen had an electric cooktop, the listing stated it was "plumbed for gas". I assume the type of gas line your friend had would fall into this category.

Very few homes were listed as "plumbed for gas" out of those we looked at (which were primarily Grapevine/Colleyville/Southlake/Flower Mound/Highland Village). YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas