Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:51 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not to derail the thread - do you know how many months your hubby will work at the VA and is this 4th year type work or is he done with that and instead working into a UTSW residency?
4th year work is done. Actually, he somehow avoided the VA, but it was a fluke. Most med students spend at least a month there.

Dunno how much he will be doing in residency. Don't have the schedule yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:04 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonakki View Post
I highly doubt any of the medical staff at the va in their right mind would pay to live in the hood. The va is situated in a run down ghetto of south dallas and the city or whoever invested in those luxury apartments probably are targeting a different demographic for future tenants.
Op can look into uptown. It is a easy reverse commute 75 south onto 45 south and exit 279 west (15 to 20 mins tops)
The VA is absolutely not in South Dallas. It's in the Lisbon area of South Oak Cliff. South Dallas is on the other side of the Trinity and several miles northeast.

Th nicest neighborhoods reasonably close are in North Oak Cliff. The public middle schools aren't terrible by Dallas ISD standards, but they aren't great. You'd want to look at charter schools, DISD magnet schools, or Bishop Dunne, which isn't the greatest private school but is the best in that area.

You could also look at the Best Southwest area (Cedar Hill in particular). Lakewood would also be a pretty good fit, with one of DISD's strongest middle schools and high school. It's also pretty convenient for the train.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
This man's a Veteran. I'm sure he (0r she) can handle themselves.
Can I pick three boys from the Allen Varsity Football team to go toe to toe with you for a minute? Can you take them?

LOL.

Veteran beaten to death.

Delbert Belton, WWII Vet, Beaten To Death By Teens

I am a Vet in my 40s. I can bench twice my weight and deadlift over 400 pounds.

However, I am not a spring chicken anymore. Going H2H with a group of determined young men is a losing proposition.

And most other vets are not this fit.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:58 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
OP has a child in middle school so Uptown won't work for this family.

However, since OP has yet to return with budget and desired commute times, it's hard to offer up any suggestions at all.
The OP needs to answer this question as well as the one on residency.

The VA hospital NEEDS some help so let's focus on helping the OP!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 7,727 times
Ok, I am sorry in my late reply. I just got the email letting me know there were replies to my question. I am a single mom, that works as a nurse practitioner. I was thinking of renting first and rent would be around 1500 a month. I would prefer to rent a house with a garage. Also I would consider the DART rail. I would prefer to keep my commute under 30 minutes. But I really want a great school more than my desires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas