Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:47 AM

170 posts, read 262,430 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I signed the contract on a spec home. Downstairs has 2 bed and 2 bath but no study room, instead it has a 2nd living on entry next to the 3rd garage. I am planning to change this to study where I spend most of my day time. This can be easily converted to study by adding some glasses and a french door. Can you please suggest me any professionals that can change the living area to study in dallas area. Also does this effect any resale value as there is no 2nd living in the house downstairs?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 10:27 AM

any one did the study room changes? Please give me the sites or contact details that I can check for this change.

Thanks,

Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 PM

101 posts, read 170,840 times
Any trim carpenter should be able to do the job, you may want to check one of the multiple websites out there (AL for example) for a reputable carpenter. You may also want to add some design elements such as built in bookshelves, cabinets or a coffered ceiling, which will set your office/study apart from simply being a room with french doors.

From my personal experience, I don't get the second living on the main floor - esp. if the home is open concept. I don't find the usefulness, it only serves a purpose to have additional seating & conversation space if hosting a party. Personally, I find way more value in a nicely appointed study. I can't quantitate the impact on resale, but I'd rather have it over a second living or a second dining.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTexasBound View Post
Any trim carpenter should be able to do the job, you may want to check one of the multiple websites out there (AL for example) for a reputable carpenter. You may also want to add some design elements such as built in bookshelves, cabinets or a coffered ceiling, which will set your office/study apart from simply being a room with french doors.

From my personal experience, I don't get the second living on the main floor - esp. if the home is open concept. I don't find the usefulness, it only serves a purpose to have additional seating & conversation space if hosting a party. Personally, I find way more value in a nicely appointed study. I can't quantitate the impact on resale, but I'd rather have it over a second living or a second dining.
I agree. I'd rather have a room with a purpose, even if I may not really use it as such, than more formal living/dining space that I never use anyway. My house has a formal living and dining room and it's a waste of space for me and for a lot of people in my neighborhood. I keep wanting to investigate having the wall torn down and making it open plan but the cost keeps putting me off.

But yeah...extra "living room" or "dining room" vs study? Uh...study.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the input. I thought the same as I may have to use upstairs room for study otherwise. I don't see any use of that living and that may cost me additional furniture there and will be used only when we have guests at a party . Thanks for suggesting to put the built in bookshelves. I will check with the interior design people who can do that. When I was checking the office desk I see big bookshelves for around 1K which look nice. Do you think built in will be nice?

Hooker Furniture Cherry Creek 32" Wall Storage Cabinet Bookcase - 258-70-446

Again thanks for the suggestions and will update once done

Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Can you please give me the website names. I searched in google and that is pointing me to Houzz website only. What is AL?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree. I'd rather have a room with a purpose, even if I may not really use it as such, than more formal living/dining space that I never use anyway. My house has a formal living and dining room and it's a waste of space for me and for a lot of people in my neighborhood. I keep wanting to investigate having the wall torn down and making it open plan but the cost keeps putting me off.

But yeah...extra "living room" or "dining room" vs study? Uh...study.

I work from home so I use that daily so wanted the study room. We liked the house very much and I was thinking about the study and I saw the space and wanted to use that as study by converting that. Now I am really excited about that room as it has good space and nice windows

Old 05-20-2014, 06:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestUser1 View Post
I work from home so I use that daily so wanted the study room. We liked the house very much and I was thinking about the study and I saw the space and wanted to use that as study by converting that. Now I am really excited about that room as it has good space and nice windows
Sounds like a good idea. Telecommuting is getting more and more common, too. At my current job, about 80% of my department is working from home on any given day. On Friday, that jumps to about 98%. Seriously...for several hours, I was the only person in that part of the building.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Spec house???
why didn't you ask the builder to do it for minimal cost?
or go by the house during construction and check the trim carpenters--
the guys doing the kitchen/bath cabinets and trim around doors and baseboards--
ask for the lead carpenter and negotiate a price with them to turn it into a study
they know what they are doing for the woodwork so can make sure any doors/framing/cabinets are done to look like the other work in the house...

also check out the Houzz site for items like "barn doors"
that is hot design trend now that you might could use vs French doors which I think look kind of dated...just depends on space in the front hall

also==you can add trim to Ikea cabinets for lot less than 1K and get some nice shelving that looks built in--
Google for Ikea hacks + built in bookcases

Old 05-20-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Spec house???
why didn't you ask the builder to do it for minimal cost?
or go by the house during construction and check the trim carpenters--
the guys doing the kitchen/bath cabinets and trim around doors and baseboards--
ask for the lead carpenter and negotiate a price with them to turn it into a study
they know what they are doing for the woodwork so can make sure any doors/framing/cabinets are done to look like the other work in the house...

also check out the Houzz site for items like "barn doors"
that is hot design trend now that you might could use vs French doors which I think look kind of dated...just depends on space in the front hall

also==you can add trim to Ikea cabinets for lot less than 1K and get some nice shelving that looks built in--
Google for Ikea hacks + built in bookcases
Thanks for the information and search words to search. This is the info that I am looking for. The spec house is completed and ready for move in by the time I found this house. I requested the builder to do the changes now and they don't do that at this time as that doesn't give them much profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas