Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:28 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
As a Californian, I have to agree with FivePercenter. The freeways here are ridiculous and very hard to navigate. It seems like new off ramps and interchanges are just added with no forethought. Many just don't make sense.
I'll take driving in downtown LA over Dallas anytime.
I think some of that may contribute to you being a Californian though. I can navigate the heck out of the DFW area as I've lived her to so long. Plop me down in another large city with great signs or not, and I'm going to have more difficulty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 01:33 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyks View Post
I don't like the tolls (I was used to none), but without astate income tax, there's not much else you can do. The signage is a major problem here in my opinion. Before Imoved (from the DC metro area), I was used to lots of signs – they'd tell you north, west, south east atevery entrance, every exit, and on the highway itself every couple of miles orso in case you missed it. You were warned *repeatedly* of upcoming exits or roads *miles* in advance. If an exit was beingclosed, you would be told by electronic bill board miles in advance – here, I'vesometimes come up on an exit and found it suddenly closed for construction.

I don't think drivers are actually BAD here, Ithink they're just CONFUSED. They just found out the exit is closed or they got on the highway the wrong direction orthey got on the wrong street because the signage was confusing or hard to reador nonexistent, or their GPS barely functions on these roads.

I'm actually used to much more aggressive drivers, so I don't find that to be a problem here. When there wasn't a traffic jam (rare enough), people routinely went 75 (in a 55) in the DC metro area. People do tend to want to drive slowly in the middle lane here for some reason.

The quality of the roads (pavement) is fine.
Well, I found DC drivers to by more than agressive--many of them are suicidal psychopaths: "Oh, no you didn't change lanes in front of me! Now we're all gonna burn!"

Old 05-19-2014, 02:25 PM

290 posts, read 387,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
I do not understand. What is the complaint? The drivers, the singe or the road?

Anyone who an complain about the road itself has obviously never lived on the east coast. TX roads are amazing...when I first got here I felt like I was driving on streets of gold.
Agreed... the OP has never driven in NY, DC, or Philly.. ever.. in his/her life. I love Texas highways, streets, roads, overpasses, thruways, byways.. ETC.. and ETC

Old 05-19-2014, 02:36 PM

290 posts, read 387,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, I found DC drivers to by more than agressive--many of them are suicidal psychopaths: "Oh, no you didn't change lanes in front of me! Now we're all gonna burn!"

Hey I'm a former DC driver.. LOL. However, I do not take offense at all, because I completely agree with you .. sometimes. Try driving in NJ near the NYC area .. they will drive you right into the Hudson

Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
Hey I'm a former DC driver.. LOL. However, I do not take offense at all, because I completely agree with you .. sometimes. Try driving in NJ near the NYC area .. they will drive you right into the Hudson
And talk about acceleration at stop lights. Almost every cabbie put his foot to the floor leaving red lights.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:43 PM

249 posts, read 330,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
As a Californian, I have to agree with FivePercenter. The freeways here are ridiculous and very hard to navigate. It seems like new off ramps and interchanges are just added with no forethought. Many just don't make sense.
I'll take driving in downtown LA over Dallas anytime.
I grew up in LA and I call BS on this. I would rather loop around 635 everyday, all day long than going back to LA to drive. I do not miss those massive traffic jams at 11pm

Old 05-19-2014, 02:44 PM

249 posts, read 330,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My favorite sign was always at North Dallas Tollroad at 635. It read:

North Dallas Tollroad North >
North Dallas Tolltoad South <

Try reading that at 65 MPH
lol! This has happened to me before...

Old 05-19-2014, 02:57 PM

504 posts, read 801,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyks View Post
I don't like the tolls (I was used to none), but without astate income tax, there's not much else you can do. The signage is a major problem here in my opinion. Before Imoved (from the DC metro area), I was used to lots of signs – they'd tell you north, west, south east atevery entrance, every exit, and on the highway itself every couple of miles orso in case you missed it. You were warned *repeatedly* of upcoming exits or roads *miles* in advance. If an exit was beingclosed, you would be told by electronic bill board miles in advance – here, I'vesometimes come up on an exit and found it suddenly closed for construction.

I don't think drivers are actually BAD here, Ithink they're just CONFUSED. They just found out the exit is closed or they got on the highway the wrong direction orthey got on the wrong street because the signage was confusing or hard to reador nonexistent, or their GPS barely functions on these roads.

I'm actually used to much more aggressive drivers, so I don't find that to be a problem here. When there wasn't a traffic jam (rare enough), people routinely went 75 (in a 55) in the DC metro area. People do tend to want to drive slowly in the middle lane here for some reason.

The quality of the roads (pavement) is fine.
it has nothing to do with no state income tax. Federal and state fuel tax pay for freeways and the last time it was raised was 1993. It has been 18.4 c/gallon since then.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:01 PM

504 posts, read 801,030 times
You can only imagine in the last 20 years since the federal fuel tax was raised, how much more fuel efficient pit cars have been

Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
The highways problems in other cities have nothing to do with the here and now in DFW. I hope the OP is upset enough to contact the powers that be and makes them better aware of the bad road conditions on several area highways.

Example; I-35 northbound between I-635 & 121 towards Lewisville is awful! Pits and potholes everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas