Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 10:40 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyf0818 View Post
Thanks everyone; we have been looking a little in the colony. It's not that walkable, but near the community pool - the neighborhoods seem to have tons of kids riding bikes, parents hanging outside and parks and a pool within walking distance, and definitely not prestigious. So here is my next question:

Hurst/Grapevine or The Colony

Obviously the commute from Grapevine would be easier but what about the air traffic, etc? And, most of our friends live in Denton (too far north)/Flower Mound (out of our price range) and Frisco (too far for my commute). I can't just get another job, I relocated with my work from the North and plan to relocate back with my company, after I build a team down here. We don't care about schools for now because we probably will either buy, or move before our son is in 1st grade.

We would love to live in East Dallas/Oak Cliff but I would hate the drive, I just know it... And, therefore it wouldn't be fun for anyone.

We are still considering the Mockingbird/Love Airport area but, the 100 in tolls a month/ is throwing me off. I'm fine with 30 minute/45(with traffic) drive but I would hate anything over 45 minutes, so it seems like it will have to be The Colony or Hurst/Grapevine; huh?
Between the options given - Grapevine would be my #1. With the Colony, you WILL have a Tollroad commute. Not worth it, IMO. Grapevine is one of the few suburban gems with character in DFW. Since you're looking specifically for that, why not live close by so you can enjoy?

You never answered questions about the Mockingbird/ Love Field area you keep mentioning. 1- there are NO tollroads to Grapevine. You would take Mockingbird to 183 to 114 or Northwest Hwy to 114. None of those are tollroads. But where are you finding houses for $1k/mo there? Give us street names. I'm willing to bet they are in really bad neighborhoods- drugs, crime, poverty, the works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 01:10 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Sure, the new parts of The Colony are nice, but the older parts (the original, cheap Fox & Jacobs houses) have not aged well at all. Most of them are no longer well maintained, and even those that are are definitely showing their age. And as you know, your only option for commuting to Grapevine is a toll road. Even though you don't think you will need schools here, the quality, or lack thereof, of huge school district does affect your resale value. The Colony has some so-so Lewisville ISD schools. Honestly, it would not be my first choice when you have so many other better options.

Do be careful around Love Field. The neighborhoods can change very quickly in that area, and there are indeed some that are just plain bad.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:09 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
They are PLENTY walkable if your home is located near Preston-Royal or Preston-Forest. We have friends who almost never use their car on the weekends because they can walk to 5 grocery stores (Central Market, Sprouts, Whole Foods, and 2 different Tom Thumbs- one being kosher), a ton of good restaurants like Meso Maya and Neighborhood Services, tons of kiddo activities (Preston Royal Library, little gym or whatever those places are called), bike to the North Dallas YMCA, hop on the Northaven bike & jog trail, etc.

Despite your persistent prejudices, everyone who does not live in Lakewood is not automatically a pretentious a-hole.
Well, thanks for taking a shot at me. Sounds like there are a lot of "thrifty lifestyle" choices the poster requested around Preston Royal and Preston Forest in "alternative" in Greater Preston Hollow/North Dallas.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 05-28-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas