U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:26 PM

993 posts, read 2,010,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Irving actually has quite a few IT headquarters there. I believe Avaya, Cisco, and some smaller ERP consultancy outfits are there. What specifically in IT are you? I work as Linux Systems Engineer with a bit of Cisco switch and router configurations but no mass network planning. Been looking for a gig in the DFW for a while without much luck. I find it strange as Houston is booming with jobs in the IT sector with GOOD pay as I have now but the fiance wants to be closure to family
Houston had very little of it before. I think some don't get that this is the white collar boom for Houston, which is why you see so much office space u/c there. DFW has a lot more office space, and has a much more established IT community. So you might not see as many entry positions., but overall there should be a lot more opportunity in DFW in that sector. Make sure you cast your net wide over the area and look at each city as a seperate entity when looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 01:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,154,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikity View Post
Thanks for the reply everyone. Murphy has also caught my attention since it tends to have a larger lot. Does anyone know the commute time from Murphy (area near Plano) to either Irving or West Plano near the Legacy area? I've done Google maps but they're not always accurate. I would like feed back from people who actually live and make know these drives.

Murphy is a nice community within the Plano ISD. Depending on where you live, your probable commute time to West Plano/Legacy corridor would be *around* 25-30 mins, depending on traffic.

Murphy is also convenient to the Bush Turnpike, which you would take to commute to the Irving/Las Colinas area. I'm guessing it would take 30-45 minutes since traffic on the Bush can get very sluggish.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:17 PM

4,195 posts, read 5,731,282 times
Look at President George Bush Turnpike. Create a border 7-8 miles to the South and North of PGBT. Start at 75 in Plano and follow it to 114 in Irving. It is the highest concentration of corporate offices, east of DFW airport. You have Las Colinas(Microsoft, Fluor), West Plano(FedEx, Toyota, JC Penney), Richardson(State Farm, Texas Instruments).

The other major employment hub is Downtown Dallas.

Wikipedia has a great list of the biggest guys.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...orth_metroplex

Last edited by move4ward; 05-28-2014 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 06:49 PM

31,722 posts, read 49,222,313 times
check the Texas Workforce Commission--
those are real jobs vs lot of listings on Monster and other sites that just troll for resumes lot of times...
and Dice I think is IT site

Old 05-29-2014, 07:32 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,703,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
check the Texas Workforce Commission--
those are real jobs vs lot of listings on Monster and other sites that just troll for resumes lot of times...
and Dice I think is IT site
Correct, Dice.com is focused on the IT sector. You may also want to reach out to a recruiter on linkedin.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:49 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,486,463 times
I would stay along the central part of plano/frisco and throw allen and mckinney in the mix. All offer great subdivisions, schools, amenities, shopping....etc etc etc. I really like the area along the Dallas North tollway and the 121...below the 121 is plano and above is frisco.

Growing up in so cal....Collin county is like orange county!! And we have lived in NY. If you have the chance to move within the same salary and to plano...I would go for it! Its not a cheap as people think..but I can assure you that you will not be living in a shoebox!

I am south Asian and there is plenty of diversity and you can mix it up as you see fit...if you want to mingle, you can, if you don't...no harm no fowl.

I don't see any issues with mixed kids...its pretty chilled out! If you do want "new"..then I would lean towards frisco and southern McKinney. There are some really great resales though..so don't leave them out!

Old 05-30-2014, 10:40 AM

91 posts, read 126,651 times
Coppell, West Plano, Richardson and North Dallas(pocket with Plano Schools) would offer you excellent schools, nice homes withinyour budget, diversity and short commute to most major employers and airports. A good location can make you flexible to change jobs without worrying about moving homes or schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas