U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:42 AM

5 posts, read 7,993 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

Husband and I with a 3 year old recently moved to Dallas. We are searching for a place to buy in the next 3-4 months. We really like the Allen area particularly West Allen which has Mary Evans elementary. Have not really explored Frisco yet. Which area do you think would be better.

We are looking to stay in the house for the next 7 years so a good elementary school is essential.

Our other dilemma is whether we should go for a brand new house or older(2000 plus). What are the pro's or cons of each. With a new house, the houses that we saw still had empty lots nearby and I do not want to be near a construction area with all the noise.

Our budget being 450,000

TIA for your input and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 10:14 AM

170 posts, read 230,832 times
I looked in Allen and Frisco and ended up buying in Allen. I liked Frisco, but Allen won out mainly because I didn't want to have to pay tolls on my way to work. Traffic is bad in both areas, but the city streets feel more congested to me in Frisco. They are probably not that much worse, but that was my perception. I live off probably one of the busier streets in Allen (Stacey Rd.) and would still drive on it any day before Preston Rd. in Frisco.

I bought a house built in 2007 because it was a better value at the time. They are still building in my neighborhood, so I could have bought new but it would have been slightly smaller with fewer upgrades. Any of the schools in West Allen near Mary Evans Ele. are going to be comparable, so you might expand your search. There are new houses also being built that are zoned to Kerr and existing houses zoned to Boon and Green which are also excellent elementary schools. Most of the new construction in that area is $400+.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,437,147 times
Where is your job?

Old 05-28-2014, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 6,642 times
We moved to Allen last year after looking hard at Frisco and West Plano. We bought a 2008 house as we wanted to avoid new build hassles. My daughter loves Mary Evans and we are very happy with the Twin Creeks neighborhood. Good Luck

Old 05-29-2014, 10:03 AM

420 posts, read 411,549 times
I dont know where in Frisco you are looking so it's hard to compare one neighborhood in Allen to an entire City. We just bought in Allen (after looking in Plano, Frisco, Allen, and Richardson for the last 3 years) and my kids will eventually attend Evans. They are in an excellent Montessori right now that is 5 minutes away. I love the neighborhood. Everyone is very friendly and I love the access. I can get to Watters Creek, the Villages at Fairview/Allen, Stonebriar, and Legacy all in under 15 minutes. I looked in Frisco but for the money, we got a 2009 home built with much better quality (in my opinion) than the new construction in Frisco for the same price.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:15 AM

705 posts, read 883,671 times
I think you'll be really happy with Allen. The city is close to build-out, so the total city population is significantly less than the projected build-out population in Frisco.

Allen is a little more established, but still offers the newer homes & amenities with that smaller town feel. Frisco is re-zoning schools more often than Allen due to explosive growth, and you're also contending with the infrastructure development to keep pace with the growth.

You have Watters Creek, Village at Allen/Fairview and shopping and retail along McDermott all within close proximity to your house.

I think Allen's master plan & the developments they've allowed on the west side will keep property values stable in the city, especially being South of 121 but offering new homes.
West Allen subdivisions/master-planned communities:

Twin Creeks
Suncreek
Watters Crossing
Beacon Hill
Custer Hill Estates
Montgomery Farm
Star Creek
Saddleridge
The Preserve
Custer Meadow
Waterford Parks

...& many more

Old 05-29-2014, 10:19 AM

91 posts, read 126,583 times
Allen is a nice town and Twin Creek is a lovely area but Evans is a very mediocre school. I have several friends there and though they like the environment but not the academics. Two of them moved their kids to privates. With all new construction going on, Evans is predicted to be overcrowded and rezoning may happen. You can look at Allen High school's performance and rankings as well, doesn't compliment their demographics at all. I wonder how are they going to deal with their increasing enrollment, it's already most populated school in Texas and overly focused on football.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:41 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,484,850 times
Allen is Beautiful. The location is fantastic, and I have heard nothing but good things about the school system. If I had to pick one thing that people have said (the locals--what little are left)--is that the high school is big. But have never heard anything negative about the schools themselves. If you are looking in allen...take a quick look about a mile north and look at McKinney, frisco...and even over the 75 in Fairview (I think that is pisd east schools). For some reason, I feel that allen and McKinney are a bit more greener and the lots are little bigger..it may be just the way the roads are done though.

You cannot go wrong in either town. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2014, 10:10 AM

170 posts, read 230,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Allen is Beautiful. The location is fantastic, and I have heard nothing but good things about the school system. If I had to pick one thing that people have said (the locals--what little are left)--is that the high school is big. But have never heard anything negative about the schools themselves. If you are looking in allen...take a quick look about a mile north and look at McKinney, frisco...and even over the 75 in Fairview (I think that is pisd east schools). For some reason, I feel that allen and McKinney are a bit more greener and the lots are little bigger..it may be just the way the roads are done though.

You cannot go wrong in either town. Good luck!

Just a correction to this. Fairview is served by both Lovejoy and McKinney ISD depending on location. Most of Fairview is Lovejoy and the western part of Fairview is McKinney. Lucas is south of there and is Lovejoy ISD. If you are thinking of an area east of 75 in Plano ISD, it is Murphy which is further south than Lucas.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:43 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,484,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaintex View Post
Just a correction to this. Fairview is served by both Lovejoy and McKinney ISD depending on location. Most of Fairview is Lovejoy and the western part of Fairview is McKinney. Lucas is south of there and is Lovejoy ISD. If you are thinking of an area east of 75 in Plano ISD, it is Murphy which is further south than Lucas.

Oh wow, I didn't know that, thank you for correcting me...I didn't realize that McKinney reached that far..but I forget that school boundary lines can be all over the place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or