U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:05 AM

290 posts, read 311,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I wouldn't swim on any of the boating lakes unless it was in a buoyed-off swimming area. Way too many drowning deaths happen in our lakes every summer, even with strong swimmers. Lake Lewisville is basically a death trap.

There are some state parks with a few hours' drive that have natural swimming "holes" which are clean & perfectly safe. Dinosaur Valley in Glen Rose (about 2 hours SW) has several good ones!
Thanks TurtleCreek! This sounds like a pretty good option.. will check it out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
I think Galveston gets an overly bad rap. It can be a fun town. But, yeah, the beach isn't great. I've not been but some people recommend Port Aransas/Mustang Island for a Texas beachside vacation. It seems to be better than Galveston and not as far as South Padre. Is this true?

Home

The guy who sits behind me at work suggested Port Aransas over South Padre, Galveston, and Corpus Christi

Old 05-28-2014, 11:23 AM

91 posts, read 136,142 times
Best Beaches in the United States - Travelers' Choice Awards - TripAdvisor

Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM

3,402 posts, read 5,382,191 times
We just drive to Destin (11 hours). It's gorgeous--emerald clear water and white sand. Given Galveston is the closest beach at 6 hours away, it's worth it to me to tack on the extra 5 hours and go somewhere really good

Old 05-28-2014, 11:38 AM

4,185 posts, read 4,350,700 times
Quote:
The guy who sits behind me at work suggested Port Aransas over South Padre, Galveston, and Corpus Christi
Port Aransas (really Aransas Pass and Mustang Island) are essentially the same place as Corpus Christi, they are just the islands and Corpus is the mainland. It's not a bad beach, but it's not a 'beach town' like you find in other places and neither is Corpus, doesn't have a boardwalk type area, doesn't have an awesome marina, etc.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Port Aransas (really Aransas Pass and Mustang Island) are essentially the same place as Corpus Christi, they are just the islands and Corpus is the mainland. It's not a bad beach, but it's not a 'beach town' like you find in other places and neither is Corpus, doesn't have a boardwalk type area, doesn't have an awesome marina, etc.
Is the water any better? I dont' want to go to the beach unless I can get in the water lol.. so while I do realize that Galveston for example might be a fun beach town, for me there is no point if I cant set foot into the water.

8 hrs is my driving max.. I start driving myself crazy after that.. so .. flight to FL or somewhere else looks promising lol

Old 05-28-2014, 01:00 PM

4,185 posts, read 4,350,700 times
Quote:
Is the water any better?
I really don't remember, it's been too long since I was last there. If I recall, it's nothing like the east coast of Florida when talking about clear blue water, and the water is warm/very warm like all Texas beaches, but then the water at CA beaches isn't crystal clear either - it's the same murky gray. I remember miles and miles of coastal sand and lots of seaweed from going there as a kid, and getting very sunburned.

I've swam in the water in Galveston, ocean water is ocean water. I don't recall getting a slick of oil on my clothes or anything.

IMO, it's once you get out of the water that Texas beaches don't compare to other states (or 3rd world countries). Gotta get in the car and drive back to town to go get lunch and ice cream. No rollerbladers, bikers, and joggers making the beach into a fun 'scene'. Galveston has a beachfront walmart for god's sake and it's among the best texas does. It's like they took a look at every other nice beach front in the entire world and did the opposite.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:12 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,153,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
We just drive to Destin (11 hours). It's gorgeous--emerald clear water and white sand. Given Galveston is the closest beach at 6 hours away, it's worth it to me to tack on the extra 5 hours and go somewhere really good

This!

The Florida panhandle beaches are breathtaking - nothing else in the U.S. compares. Southwest Airlines flies to Panama City Beach, which is convenient to the "Hwy 30A" area (Grayton Beach, Santa Rosa Beach, etc.). And AA and Delta both fly to Pensacola - which has nice beaches and is also close to the beach towns of Ft. Walton Beach and Destin.

Totally worth it to save for a plane ticket, IMO.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I really don't remember, it's been too long since I was last there. If I recall, it's nothing like the east coast of Florida when talking about clear blue water, and the water is warm/very warm like all Texas beaches, but then the water at CA beaches isn't crystal clear either - it's the same murky gray. I remember miles and miles of coastal sand and lots of seaweed from going there as a kid, and getting very sunburned.

I've swam in the water in Galveston, ocean water is ocean water. I don't recall getting a slick of oil on my clothes or anything.

IMO, it's once you get out of the water that Texas beaches don't compare to other states (or 3rd world countries). Gotta get in the car and drive back to town to go get lunch and ice cream. No rollerbladers, bikers, and joggers making the beach into a fun 'scene'. Galveston has a beachfront walmart for god's sake and it's among the best texas does. It's like they took a look at every other nice beach front in the entire world and did the opposite.
Agreed - this is the best part of being at the beach, the atmosphere. So, if I'm getting murky water AND no fun scene.. I think I'm better off hopping on a plane

Thanks for the input!

Old 05-28-2014, 01:30 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,699,545 times
It had been a LONG time since I had been to a decent beach before the last time I went to Florida. We had a house in Cozumel when I was a pre-teen that we would frequent, but since then I had only visited San Francisco and Galveston(spring break parties). It took a business trip last year in Florida, where I drove from Orlando to Siesta Key to make me realize I was never again visiting Galveston or any other Texas beaches for that matter. From now on it will be Gulf Shores, Siesta Key or a small Caribbean island. I don't like loud crazy packed places for my beach time, but I do want to look at beautiful sand, water and a sun set. Also some fruity cocktails close by never hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or