U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 PM

9,431 posts, read 11,362,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I wouldn't swim on any of the boating lakes unless it was in a buoyed-off swimming area. Way too many drowning deaths happen in our lakes every summer, even with strong swimmers. Lake Lewisville is basically a death trap.

There are some state parks with a few hours' drive that have natural swimming "holes" which are clean & perfectly safe. Dinosaur Valley in Glen Rose (about 2 hours SW) has several good ones!
Agreed! Dinosaur Valley's swimming hole are really fun. As for lake swimming, we swim up at the beaches at Texoma. I'm not sure I'd swim at Lake Lewisville, I agree. Deaths every week during the summer season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 PM

9,431 posts, read 11,362,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
I think Galveston gets an overly bad rap. It can be a fun town. But, yeah, the beach isn't great. I've not been but some people recommend Port Aransas/Mustang Island for a Texas beachside vacation. It seems to be better than Galveston and not as far as South Padre. Is this true?

Home
Port Aransas is fun, IMO. The beach and water are better than Galveston, and the little town has some good seafood restaurants and places to get ice cream. Best of both worlds.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:18 PM

290 posts, read 311,452 times
Thanks everyone...... lots of places to try this summer

Old 05-29-2014, 06:41 AM

31,663 posts, read 49,132,107 times
If you decide to fly Spirit--PLEASE read the baggage policy--and consider joining the $9 club if you are buying several fares--could save you money enough to pay the fee depending on whether you get a good sale or not--

I have flown Spirit quite a few times since we bought vacation house south of Sarasota FL
So many times I see people who (I guess) buy their tickets from site like Expedia and don't read the info about carry on baggage--just assume it is like other airlines...and wind up paying the heavy fee to bring a carry on bag aboard at last minute...
The limited number of flights and other fees were worth it to me to get decent price for flight at last minute--
on other airlines I would have been paying 2-3X as much ....
You just need to be prepared to fly Spirit on Spirit's terms...

PS--SPI does have a better beach than Galveston but that is like picking which is more attractive--
Rosie O'Donnell or Roseann Barr...

and if you swim in rivers or lakes be aware that water can contain bacteria that can be very bad if it enters through nose into brain--
check out PAM--rare at this juncture--but dought conditions and high temps make it more and more likely to be real menace...

Old 05-29-2014, 08:40 AM

290 posts, read 311,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If you decide to fly Spirit--PLEASE read the baggage policy--and consider joining the $9 club if you are buying several fares--could save you money enough to pay the fee depending on whether you get a good sale or not--

I have flown Spirit quite a few times since we bought vacation house south of Sarasota FL
So many times I see people who (I guess) buy their tickets from site like Expedia and don't read the info about carry on baggage--just assume it is like other airlines...and wind up paying the heavy fee to bring a carry on bag aboard at last minute...
The limited number of flights and other fees were worth it to me to get decent price for flight at last minute--
on other airlines I would have been paying 2-3X as much ....
You just need to be prepared to fly Spirit on Spirit's terms...

PS--SPI does have a better beach than Galveston but that is like picking which is more attractive--
Rosie O'Donnell or Roseann Barr...

and if you swim in rivers or lakes be aware that water can contain bacteria that can be very bad if it enters through nose into brain--
check out PAM--rare at this juncture--but dought conditions and high temps make it more and more likely to be real menace...
Wow - thanks for the heads up, I had no idea Spirit was different than any other airline. I normally fly American.. sometimes Delta. Does Spirit charge for every little thing?

Old 05-29-2014, 09:00 AM

4,179 posts, read 4,345,083 times
Quote:
Does Spirit charge for every little thing?
They do charge for every little thing (carryons larger than a backpack are like $20 or higher), but the trade off is they also have some $9 ROUNDTRIP tickets at certain times of the year, and if you are paying more than $100 per person ROUNDTRIP, you are paying too much for Spirit. So pack light and it's cheaper than driving. Once you are in the air, it's the same as any other domestic airline.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 AM

31,663 posts, read 49,132,107 times
Price for me is always what would I pay to fly on AA--I rarely fly anywhere I would use Delta or even SWA--so even at 200 a ticket Spirit can be a bargain if AA is 700 (and there have been times when I didn't have option about booking ahead for the 9$ fares)...

I think their seats are more uncomfortable--they don't recline like most AA and Delta seats do--and the leg room is sparse--I will pay the extra to get an aisle seat if the plane seems full when I book--

there are bags that are fairly stuffable that will fit under the seat and fly for free but if you are taking a family vacation that might not work for u and all members of the family--

I bought a bag specifically because it was advertised to fit UNDER the Sprit seats and did carry a 3 day supply of clothes and then it wouldn't fit...
The bags i think really work the best have no wheels and are all cloth--like the old-fashioned gym/club bags with handles and zipper down the middle--so there is no hard frame to contend with...

You can pay to put two larger bags each UNDER 40 lbs in the belly for family of 4 say and not have to worry about anything but backpack w/your IPad or Nintendo and some snacks--

check the spirit website--all the info is there-
and from what I have seen at the DFW terminal for Spirit the desk people WILL check your luggage sizes--and same at the Tampa airport--saw a woman get into practically a knock-down arguing with gate attendant about fact that she wasn't going to pay to carry a bag on when she hadn't had to pay at the city she left from -- she was making a connection in Tampa--
stopped anyone from getting on the flight for 10 min or so until they called for supervisor--
couldn't fault the gate agent who was only doing her job--

saw a college girl at DFW terminal last May who was flying home and had a ton of books in big open bag--she had no clue she had to pay to get that on the plane and was distraught when told she did--
could hear her making calls to people about fact she had no money on her debit card to get the 100$ it would take to bring the books...
someone who apparently was flying on same flight offered to help carry her bag because I guess he has Spirit credit card -- which allows a carry on for free I think--

just stupid not to know the rules--

Old 05-29-2014, 11:54 AM

91 posts, read 136,077 times
watch the jelly fish on the texas beaches and in the water. I would do a cost analysis and look at cheap deal type tickets DFW to Key West or similar.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:13 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,696,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJT View Post
watch the jelly fish on the texas beaches and in the water.
Oh yea, that too. My wife and I both got hit by them.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:28 PM

3,402 posts, read 5,378,520 times
Quote:
watch the jelly fish on the texas beaches and in the water. I would do a cost analysis and look at cheap deal type tickets DFW to Key West or similar.
Actual, the beaches in Key West itself aren't that great. Some nice ones on the way down there from Miami, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or