U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 AM

290 posts, read 311,901 times

Advertisements

Probably the thing I am missing most about the east coast is the beach .... now that summer is in full swing, I am really longing for the Outer Banks, Ocean City, Virginia Beach, Rehobeth, Long Island... etc etc.

I have heard that there is Galveston down South, but nearly everyone I've talked to says it's really not that great, and that the water is very sketchy. I keep seeing South Padre advertisements on TV, but same thing .. everyone in my office says its really no better than Galveston.

Does anyone know a good place to go? I miss the boardwalk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 09:51 AM

14,637 posts, read 31,812,166 times
Growing up, I spent half my years on the east coast and the other half on the west. Both coasts have some pretty awesome beaches. The only thing close to them that I have been to in Texas is going to be South Padre. Corpus Christi doesn't work for me, Galveston is only marginally better than Corpus. ...and those are my opinions. I would just get a plane ticket and head to Virginia Beach or OBX. If you head west, Avila Beach is my favorite. Or Pismo.

Last edited by sapphire; 05-28-2014 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 09:56 AM

170 posts, read 230,940 times
I have not been to South Padre, but agree with what you've heard about Galveston. We went last summer and the water is brown. The beach is also brown/black and my kids swimsuits were ruined with sludge or something. I expect it might even be worse since the recent oil spill in the bay. We were on one of the cruise ships stuck for several hours in the bay after the spill. Coming into port, you could see how bad the spill was.

I grew up going to the Gulf and Atlantic beaches in Alabama and Florida. Galveston does not even compare. I'm skipping the beach this year, but next time we go it will be back to Orange Beach/Gulf Shores AL. Even the beaches on the Mississippi Gulf Coast are cleaner than Galveston. Gulf Shores is driveable (a very long drive), but you can get to other nice East Coast beaches by air. I also like Clearwater/St. Pete in Florida and Southwest is reasonable to Tampa. You can also easily get to the Atlantic Coast beaches in Florida by flying to either Jacksonville or Orlando. I also like the islands near Charleston SC. One of my next beach trips will hopefully be to the Outer Banks, I've never been.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:09 AM

6,210 posts, read 4,995,945 times
It's a pretty cheap airplane ticket to San Diego or Florida if you watch for good fares. If you need some beach time and live in NTX it means planning ahead and catching some great fares to real beaches.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaintex View Post
I have not been to South Padre, but agree with what you've heard about Galveston. We went last summer and the water is brown. The beach is also brown/black and my kids swimsuits were ruined with sludge or something. I expect it might even be worse since the recent oil spill in the bay. We were on one of the cruise ships stuck for several hours in the bay after the spill. Coming into port, you could see how bad the spill was.

I grew up going to the Gulf and Atlantic beaches in Alabama and Florida. Galveston does not even compare. I'm skipping the beach this year, but next time we go it will be back to Orange Beach/Gulf Shores AL. Even the beaches on the Mississippi Gulf Coast are cleaner than Galveston. Gulf Shores is driveable (a very long drive), but you can get to other nice East Coast beaches by air. I also like Clearwater/St. Pete in Florida and Southwest is reasonable to Tampa. You can also easily get to the Atlantic Coast beaches in Florida by flying to either Jacksonville or Orlando. I also like the islands near Charleston SC. One of my next beach trips will hopefully be to the Outer Banks, I've never been.
Yeah I will not be going to Galveston, ever. lol

I actually did hear someone suggest Orange Beach to me, in Alabama. I looked it up and it actually looks pretty nice. Not sure how far that is.. for all that I might as well hope on a Jet Blue flight to Clearwater, FL where my uncle lives.

Definitely check out the Outer Banks, especially since you have kids. It is a beautiful, family oriented beach with majority beach homes for rent, rather than commercial hotels. It is hands down my fave beach on the east coast (outside of Florida).

Old 05-28-2014, 10:16 AM

170 posts, read 230,940 times
I've been to Orange Beach probably close to 20 times, but not since the Horizon spill. I think that is all cleaned up now though. Google maps says it's 11.5 hours which is my upper limit max of driving. If I had family in Clearwater, that is where I would go!

Old 05-28-2014, 10:21 AM

4,191 posts, read 4,356,685 times
Spirit Airlines to Florida. Tickets are cheap.

South Padre is way better than Galveston, but it's a difficult flight or drive, as it borders Mexico. It's easier to fly to Florida. I think Galveston is actually an ok place to visit as long as you don't step into the ocean.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Spirit Airlines to Florida. Tickets are cheap.

South Padre is way better than Galveston, but it's a difficult flight or drive, as it borders Mexico. It's easier to fly to Florida. I think Galveston is actually an ok place to visit as long as you don't step into the ocean.
I've seen Spirit come up a lot lately.. and yes you're right, pretty cheap. Looks like I may be better off watching for a cheap flight than driving endless hours to a just ok beach.

Sidebar: Are there any clean Lakes for swimming around DFW or even a little further? I've heard Lake Ray Hubbard is nice, though I haven't been out to Rockwall yet. Grapevine Lake I hear is pretty nice, and I've been to Lake Lewisville once.. but briefly. Not sure if you can swim in any of those places.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:55 AM

12,210 posts, read 23,139,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
I've seen Spirit come up a lot lately.. and yes you're right, pretty cheap. Looks like I may be better off watching for a cheap flight than driving endless hours to a just ok beach.

Sidebar: Are there any clean Lakes for swimming around DFW or even a little further? I've heard Lake Ray Hubbard is nice, though I haven't been out to Rockwall yet. Grapevine Lake I hear is pretty nice, and I've been to Lake Lewisville once.. but briefly. Not sure if you can swim in any of those places.
I wouldn't swim on any of the boating lakes unless it was in a buoyed-off swimming area. Way too many drowning deaths happen in our lakes every summer, even with strong swimmers. Lake Lewisville is basically a death trap.

There are some state parks with a few hours' drive that have natural swimming "holes" which are clean & perfectly safe. Dinosaur Valley in Glen Rose (about 2 hours SW) has several good ones!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:01 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,519,462 times
I think Galveston gets an overly bad rap. It can be a fun town. But, yeah, the beach isn't great. I've not been but some people recommend Port Aransas/Mustang Island for a Texas beachside vacation. It seems to be better than Galveston and not as far as South Padre. Is this true?

Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or