Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:31 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bintaasun View Post
Hi, thank you for your comment. Can you explain more on why you classify DFW as a pretty mediocre place to enjoy life?

I have not considered Albuquerque, but California yes, and my biggest concerns were economy and cost of living.
I found DFW to be severely lacking from the outdoor/active lifestyle perspective. It's not at all bike friendly (both missing infrastructure and sprawl), and even though there are hiking trails, weather and lack of scenery are limiting factors.

You can boil what most folks do during the summer into going to the lake/pool, and going to <insert climate-controlled building here> - i.e. malls, restaurants, museums, and anything else indoors.

Sure, there are some hearty folks who don't mind sweating their arses off, but for the most part people in DFW spend a vast majority of their time indoors from early June to mid-September. Obesity and activity statistics back up that generalization, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 06:11 AM

11 posts, read 14,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I found DFW to be severely lacking from the outdoor/active lifestyle perspective. It's not at all bike friendly (both missing infrastructure and sprawl), and even though there are hiking trails, weather and lack of scenery are limiting factors.

You can boil what most folks do during the summer into going to the lake/pool, and going to <insert climate-controlled building here> - i.e. malls, restaurants, museums, and anything else indoors.

Sure, there are some hearty folks who don't mind sweating their arses off, but for the most part people in DFW spend a vast majority of their time indoors from early June to mid-September. Obesity and activity statistics back up that generalization, too.
Thank you for clarifying. In that regard, it makes sense. I remember back to some of my visits to Dallas and how I shocked I was to see roads with no sidewalks or the absence of people jogging up and down the streets even during the cooler days. I don't expect Dallas to be Denver, I'm moving for a change so it is to be expected that I will have to sacrifice certain amenities. On the flip side, it could be an excellent opportunity because as I am also a yoga/fitness instructor.

Although I know that Dallas will be better than Denver in terms of cosmopolitan flair, culture and diversity, which are some of the main reasons why I am moving, based on what I am hearing, I worry that the difference is only marginal. And if I am going to be trading some of these amazing amenities that Denver has to offer, marginal is not good enough. And what I am hearing about Lewisville is even more discouraging, moving into a bland neighborhood is not my goal and neither is a 30-45 minute daily commute. Heck even 15 minutes is pushing it

Urgh decisions decisions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas