U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 02:01 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,581,866 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, I'm currently in the Atlanta area and I currently work as a freelance writer for a few magazines and blog for a tech company here. I'm curious about what the market is like for writers in the Metroplex and what fields are best to target. I know that IT and Telecom have a strong presence in the area and there are several major corporations headquartered in the area. I wanted to know about how competitive the market is and what are some of the better resources for writers to network? I'm looking for full-time or contract/1099 opportunities. I'm in the process of building my savings and wanted to know what the market was like and how quick can writers get hired in the area. Most writing jobs - whether copywriting, web content, or blogging are usually super competitive, and I'm sure there are plenty of local writers in the area competing for jobs, so my main concern is how open companies are to hiring out-of-state writers or people who plan to move there.

I've been considering moving from Atlanta for quite awhile now and Dallas is one area that I am interested in. I work from home for the most part, but I'd be interested in co-working spaces or virtual offices in the area as well. I know that if I were to move, that I'd have to hit the ground running to network and make important contacts so people can view my portfolio and website. I don't want to move to another city without a job, so I've been very careful about what to do for my next move.

Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated and if you have any questions for me, I'll be happy to answer them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:30 PM

31,722 posts, read 49,222,313 times
Isn't there a writers' forum on line where you could get some more factual info?
not necessarily on city data
I think your need is more specialized than most people asking about job/employment suggestions/info for DFW

my son and his wife work for educational tutoring/testing company and both are editors/writers but I wouldn't recommend anyone work there--
pay is low for their contribution to product success and they have to be endlessly creative--

Old 05-29-2014, 07:46 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,154,860 times
Veeeeeeery competitive here. There's a strong IT sector, so there are technical writing jobs. But they mostly require some kind of engineering or computer background along with writing skills.

Most of the "creative" writing jobs are within the marketing sector, and many are lumped into "social media management" or "content management." Not that many jobs and again, it's very competitive and the pay is low.

Corporate communications is probably your best bet if you need to move to DFW. Those jobs pay well at least. But again - 50 applicants for every position.

The best market for writers by far is in the Washington DC area. Have you considered that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas