U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:48 PM

335 posts, read 340,175 times

Advertisements

Thanks for any feedabacks on this issue. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 01:55 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,706,243 times
It's a good one, but it's kind of hard to say it's the best. Depends on the industry.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 PM

290 posts, read 312,382 times
What field are you in? IT, Finance, Mortgage .. yes good job market. Not sure about other career fields. I work finance sector, but started in Mortgage. I was interviewed and hired within 2 weeks of relocating, and have moved up quite quickly since. For me.. the job market has been great.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:03 AM

139 posts, read 169,748 times
Depends on how you define "best". Dallas job market atleast in IT is booming and the salaries have risen over the last few months, and there is no state income tax. Housing is still fairly affordable but also on the rise. There are sevaral neighbourhoods with good schools and most of these are very diverse.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:21 AM

24,576 posts, read 34,315,234 times
If you like contracting forever, sure, the I.T. job market here is great.

Also, a lot of companies rotate their contractors so you'll finish a 12 to 18-month contract at company A, then company A refuses to employ you for 6-12 months so you have to find another contract at company B, then rotate back to company A if you want to because company B won't re-hire you for another 6-12 months, etc.

The company I work for is ending all of its long-term contracts; some contractors have been on contract 7-8 years. They're trying to convert some of them to perm. Some are refusing because they make more money as contractors and have a spouse with good health insurance; others are converting. But most jobs these days seem to be either contract or contract-to-hire. Not many direct hire positions out there. There are a bit more than there used to be, but still. I.T. is a race to the bottom. You'll be competing with Indian contractors everywhere you go, and some consulting firms like TCS and Wipro have some shops completely monopolized Moderator cut: unnecessary; a lot of them won't even call or e-mail you. If they do, expect them to immediately ask you for intrusive personal information, lowball you on the hourly rate, and be impossible to contact once they claim to have submitted you. OR, on the other hand, they might submit you for a job (without your consent or knowledge) for which you've already been submitted by another firm, ruining your chances of being considered for that position since double submission is basically the kiss of death when it comes to job-hunting in this field. If you think it can't happen to you, think again. It can, and probably will at some point.

Just stating facts. Sorry.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 05-30-2014 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Not needed

Old 05-30-2014, 11:54 AM

I think it also has to do with what field you're in for IT as well. I've been in the Dallas area and IT for almost 10 years now and I've never had a contract position. All of mine were direct hires with either AT&T, school districts, MSPs or Consulting Firms. I do know some people that have worked contract to contract, but usually after a few years and making some what of a name for yourself, you can pick and choose what you would rather do. Yes there is some foreign competition, as we even see it at the consulting firm. But I will say most of our clients don't care as much about the bottom line as they do about high end service, support, equipment and technology. You just have to find that market and compete well.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:22 PM

96 posts, read 127,335 times
When you guys talk about the contracting position in IT, are you referring to mostly programmers and developers? I'm in CA and looking to relocated to Texas so this topic really interests me. From here, most of the Indian people in IT that I know are some sort of programmers or developers. I'm in the network system and infrastructure side of things and am curious if the contracting situation is applies for my IT background as well.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:25 PM

24,576 posts, read 34,315,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikity View Post
When you guys talk about the contracting position in IT, are you referring to mostly programmers and developers? I'm in CA and looking to relocated to Texas so this topic really interests me. I'm in the network system and infrastructure side of things and am curious if the contracting situation is applies for my IT background as well.
It's especially bad for developers, though it's pretty much industry-wide at this point. Expect long hours too, though if you're in the field already you should be used to that! Most of the network/infrastructure people I've worked with have been perms, though. So you've got that on your side.

FWIW, my boss is Indian and he's a kick-ass, stand-up dude.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:10 PM

Agreed with geek above. The only networking people I've known in contract are fresh out of ccna testing with no or little experience.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:03 PM

989 posts, read 1,556,463 times
Interesting OP never came back to tell us if they were looking for IT or asking more generally.

FWIW, I am not IT, but came here for a job. The company I work for (which chose Dallas/Addison as one of their larger corporate offices), in my department is hiring left and right and it appears such will continue for a while. Our situation might be a bit more specific to the company and its vision as opposed to "Dallas is a great place to get a job and any job".

It might be a little hype about the "Texas Miracle" and booming economy, but stereotypes are generally based on some nugget of reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas