U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:57 AM

3,352 posts, read 4,193,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
It's not always the distance that saves you gas, its miles per gallon. A vehicle that gets 28 mpg on highway can easily be down to 20 mpg or less in stop and go traffic with lights.
True but so far, everywhere I've traveled is by highway/freeway. I'm never in stop-and-go traffic on surface roads sitting at lights with my GPS. The alternate routes my GPS gives me still manages to keep me on highways/freeways while avoiding tolls and heavy traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 06:05 AM

3,927 posts, read 5,072,566 times
Routinely use PGBT and North Tollway. Traffic is a real PITA. Time is valuable and traffic backups can really cost time.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:11 AM

504 posts, read 672,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Routinely use PGBT and North Tollway. Traffic is a real PITA. Time is valuable and traffic backups can really cost time.
Absolutely. The poster above has no idea because he has nothing to compare.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 AM

21,550 posts, read 12,227,043 times
Quote:
What scares me about the tollways is that which such things happen, there are few if any quick alternates to take.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:23 PM

989 posts, read 1,555,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
True but so far, everywhere I've traveled is by highway/freeway. I'm never in stop-and-go traffic on surface roads sitting at lights with my GPS. The alternate routes my GPS gives me still manages to keep me on highways/freeways while avoiding tolls and heavy traffic.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Absolutely. The poster above has no idea because he has nothing to compare.
I agree in the basic argument that "time is money", there is a price for convenience, and you may use more gas on city streets. However, it seems it's being suggested (whether intended or not) that Atlanta is being silly in choosing to not use toll roads just because it works for others. That seems a bit unfair. Atlanta's choices seem to work well enough for him/her so why a comment like "the poster above has no idea..."?

Old 06-03-2014, 01:38 AM

318 posts, read 649,549 times
"Time is money," but only if that time is time that could be converted to money. Most people don't pay tolls to save time that could be used earning money, they pay tolls to spend time that could be used doing something else.

Let us excuse whether it's unfortunate that so many roads are tolled, and focus on practical matters. If the time you save by using toll roads could be spent with family or with enjoyable activities, then it very well may be worth paying for. If you're paying money in tolls in order to have a few more minutes watching television or reading stupid things online, then you might be better off saving that money.

Paying tolls is somewhat like buying a new(er) car. It's often cheaper to keep your old car, but people spend more money for the sake of having something newer, because of personal preference. Likewise, it's often cheaper to avoid toll roads, but people pay tolls for the sake of spending less time in traffic. Whether that's a worthwhile investment depends entirely on the comparison of routes and the values of the driver. You can compare yourself with averages, but that comparison is in no way useful. The only thing that matters is your individual circumstances and priorities.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:20 AM

504 posts, read 672,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
I agree in the basic argument that "time is money", there is a price for convenience, and you may use more gas on city streets. However, it seems it's being suggested (whether intended or not) that Atlanta is being silly in choosing to not use toll roads just because it works for others. That seems a bit unfair. Atlanta's choices seem to work well enough for him/her so why a comment like "the poster above has no idea..."?
I never suggested that and I'm sorry if it came across like that. All toll roads must have free alternatives, that is 1 of the criteria before they get approved. Tolls are never mandatory and its one's prerogative to pay tolls. I was rebutting his refusal to accept time and money saved in addition to convenience because he has never used toll roads in DFW, according to his own admission.

A new proposal will lift the ban on States to toll interstate freeways. The interstates are not free and highway trust fund will dry up in September. Something has got to give if you don't want to raise fuel taxes and you don't want to implement VMT either.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:34 AM

311 posts, read 371,995 times
I've had some conversations with coworkers regarding toll roads especially the DNT. It's totally dependent on preference. A couple live in Frisco and I would agree that they have no choice. I work in downtown, currently live in Plano. Sometimes it's about equivalent going down Coit (almost no traffic north of 635) and 75 (with traffic) versus DNT (traffic north of 635 but eases south of 635). I check traffic on my phone before leaving home/work and almost always avoid the toll road the past few months due to lack of desire to pay tolls and daily traffic patterns. There was a stretch of time (half a year) that I took the DNT exclusively, but it only saves about 10 minutes for a 20 mile trip (e.g. 45 minutes vs. 55 minutes door to door). I did the math for my vehicle; tolls are $2.40 for the Frankford + downtown gates one way, and gas per day is about $5. I essentially have to double my gas usage on the local roads + 75 to reach the equivalent of the tolls, and gas usage on local is negligible when you account for the stop/go on DNT too. Unless gas prices rise significantly, I don't see how the $4.80 of daily tolls save a significant amount of time for me personally and view it as an unnecessary cost versus the alternatives. Now I'm happy going toll-less and saving $100/month (started doing this year). Of course, I know plenty of others happy using DNT, but after doing both ways, I find the money saved (offset by time spent) worthwhile. Anyway, my $0.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or