U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 03:18 PM

114 posts, read 107,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
The principal at one of the elementary schools told my friend that there are no special needs students in LJISD; never mind that her son is autistic.
Does your friend have an autistic child or the Lovejoy ISD elementary principal? Lovejoy only has three elementary schools and two of the principals have grown children.

Of course Lovejoy has special needs kids. I see the special needs students at school and Lovejoy hosts a Special Olympics Banquet for these athletes and I've seen them honored at school events (pep rallies, football games, etc.)

I don't know where you got your info but I can tell you first hand it is not accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 04:07 PM

2,316 posts, read 3,099,291 times
My friend has a special needs child and is in the LJISD. MY FRIEND TOLD ME that the principal said there were no special needs students in the district and that her son would receive no special accommodations.

My friend had no reason to lie to me, so I guess the principal must have not been accurate in talking with her about her child and his lack of wanting to implement an IEP.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
My friend has a special needs child and is in the LJISD. MY FRIEND TOLD ME that the principal said there were no special needs students in the district and that her son would receive no special accommodations.

My friend had no reason to lie to me, so I guess the principal must have not been accurate in talking with her about her child and his lack of wanting to implement an IEP.
Why would your friend not want to implement an IEP (Individualized Education Plan)?

Old 06-23-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovejoy_family View Post
Why would your friend not want to implement an IEP (Individualized Education Plan)?
THE PRINCIPAL DID NOT WANT TO IMPLEMENT AN IEP. My friend was trying to get an IEP for her son.

The principal was not wanting an autistic child in his school.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
THE PRINCIPAL DID NOT WANT TO IMPLEMENT AN IEP. My friend was trying to get an IEP for her son.

The principal was not wanting an autistic child in his school.
No need to get upset. But this doesn't make sense or it is outdated information. You wrote "he" didn't want a IEP and now you are writing "his school". The problem with this and my confusion is because Lovejoy ISD hasn't had a male Elementary Principal for at least six years.

If any parent has concerns about Lovejoys special needs program and don't feel comfortable with the answers received by the campus administrative team I highly recommend contacting the district administration.

All this second hand knowledge is pretty ridiculous.
(Ferris Buller movie quote) "Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious"

Old 06-23-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
No need to get upset. But this doesn't make sense or it is outdated information. You wrote "he" didn't want a IEP and now you are writing "his school". The problem with this and my confusion is because Lovejoy ISD hasn't had a male Elementary Principal for at least six years.

If any parent has concerns about Lovejoys special needs program and don't feel comfortable with the answers received by the campus administrative team I highly recommend contacting the district administration.

All this second hand knowledge is pretty ridiculous.
(Ferris Buller movie quote) "Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious"
Quote:
My friend did end up going to the administration. So, the district isn't all roses.

Any info you give us becomes second hand info when we talk about it to anyone else. Pretty ridiculous. I know my friend and you are an anonymous poster on an internet forum. Whom do you think I trust more?

If one states that they choose to live in a rich, white district and not have their student exposed to racial and economic diversity and admits that their student is not competitive academically, then I can make my choices as well.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
My friend did end up going to the administration. So, the district isn't all roses.

Any info you give us becomes second hand info when we talk about it to anyone else. Pretty ridiculous. I know my friend and you are an anonymous poster on an internet forum. Whom do you think I trust more?

If one states that they choose to live in a rich, white district and not have their student exposed to racial and economic diversity and admits that their student is not competitive academically, then I can make my choices as well.
You don't know the racial or economic makeup of my household. When have I ever admitted that my children are not competitive academically?

I'm not relaying anything second hand, I've seen the special needs students at Lovejoy schools. There is another thread where the poster praised Lovejoy for their special education program.

I'm hard pressed to find a thread where you have said anything positive about Lovejoy. ..

Old 06-23-2014, 10:03 PM

44 posts, read 37,402 times
Quote:
The principal at one of the elementary schools told my friend that there are no special needs students in LJISD; never mind that her son is autistic.
DitsyD, my guess is that if you really peeled back that onion, there is more to the story. It is a pretty derogatory comment to just throw out there without more. You said in a later post that the parent contacted the administration. What was the outcome, if you know?

And let me balance that out with my own second-hand anecdotes. My neighbors also have an autistic child, and they specifically moved to the district for the special needs program years ago. Further, they went out of their way to tell me that LISD has been great for them and that if they ever had a concern, they were able to call the superintendent directly and he was always responsive. I also have another neighbor with a physically disabled child, and I know that the kids at Lovejoy Elementary recently raised money to redo the playground for other physically disabled children at the school. What you said doesn't seem consistent with my experiences. At all.

Before I moved to the area, I read some passionate posts here bashing LISD (and some that sounded like they drank a little too much of the kool-aid) and it gave me pause. I recognize that some may have had bad personal experiences (bureaucracy anyone?). It's one thing to debate the rigor of the academics or argue over fiscal decisions, but I think one should back up comments like yours with more than hit-and-run tactics, especially since your implication (stated more bluntly in a later post) is that the district is hostile to such children.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:37 PM

Back on topic, I think that McKinney has a good district.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,011 times
I have 6 children all in McKinney ISD, 2 at McGowan Elementary, 1at Evans Middle School & now 3 at McKinney High. I love all of them. High offers some great classes that you will not find anywhere else. My oldest is a senior now and he's stoked to have been accepted in the Sports Medicine program. They offer wonderful opportunities here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or