U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2014, 08:40 AM
 
63 posts, read 86,203 times
Reputation: 43

Advertisements

We have been looking at a few homes in the area and they seem to be much more affordable than Allen and Mckinney. (in the $100-110/ sq ft range). The location in my opinion is much better than Mckinney with the shops and retail just a mile down 75. The lots are quite sizeable as well. Any ideas on the pricing difference?

Mckinney seems to have great elementary schools, but middle and HS are a bit scary. I read that MHS's 'academically acceptable' rating is now an improvement! Are we going down a slippery slope here by looking in Fairville or Mckinney ISD in general?

We have a little one and another one on the way and schools are important!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,828 posts, read 3,702,071 times
Reputation: 1821
I would push to go towards Allen or Plano before McKinney ISD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 09:46 AM
 
1,789 posts, read 2,087,491 times
Reputation: 1719
Boyd in McKinney scores higher than Allen. McKinney high is close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Wylie, Texas
2,028 posts, read 2,687,967 times
Reputation: 3432
Fairville??? I assume you mean Fairview. Fairview is split between McKinney ISD and Lovejoy ISD which is a more affluent/expensive district. My guess is that most would take Lovejoy over McKinney, although Lovejoy has had its problems, just look through the threads on the Dallas forum.

On the "Collin County scale", McKinney is perceived as being the lowest of the "BIG 4" Plano first, Frisco second, Allen third and McKinney bringing up the rear. If you really like McKinney, there are parts zoned to Frisco ISD, and probably within your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 01:32 PM
 
63 posts, read 86,203 times
Reputation: 43
lol . YES Fairview!! Excuse me, I have really bad preggo brain today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 01:56 PM
 
1,283 posts, read 3,142,891 times
Reputation: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
On the "Collin County scale", McKinney is perceived as being the lowest of the "BIG 4" Plano first, Frisco second, Allen third and McKinney bringing up the rear.
I understand that this may be the perception, but it's a false one IMO.

No doubt Plano is #1. No arguing that. They are the top dog by a long shot for a variety of reasons, and I don't expect that to change in the near future.

But I would put the other three (Allen, Mckinney, Frisco) on pretty even ground. When you look at college-prep measures (SAT, AP results, NMSF, etc), Mckinney ISD performs just as well as FISD and AISD, and in some school-by-school cases even better.

Then factor in that MISD's population is 26% economically disadvantaged, as compared to Allen's 16% and Frisco's 13%, and I'd be inclined to give the nod to Mckinney over the other two.

Plano still takes the cake, of course, but Mckinney is definitely holding it's own compared to the other CoCo schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Port Charlotte
3,927 posts, read 5,070,220 times
Reputation: 3415
Best HS in McKinney is Boyd, but McKinney is actively re zoning to reduce school size issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 10:06 PM
 
Location: New York
65 posts, read 96,130 times
Reputation: 26
According to US News, McKinney High and McKinney Boyd are both Gold,while McKinney North is Silver. Plano and Allen...for whatever reasons are not rated for 2014.

Mckinney Independent School District | Texas | Best High Schools | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,059 posts, read 10,544,052 times
Reputation: 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Boyd in McKinney scores higher than Allen. McKinney high is close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
I understand that this may be the perception, but it's a false one IMO.

No doubt Plano is #1. No arguing that. They are the top dog by a long shot for a variety of reasons, and I don't expect that to change in the near future.

But I would put the other three (Allen, Mckinney, Frisco) on pretty even ground. When you look at college-prep measures (SAT, AP results, NMSF, etc), Mckinney ISD performs just as well as FISD and AISD, and in some school-by-school cases even better.

Then factor in that MISD's population is 26% economically disadvantaged, as compared to Allen's 16% and Frisco's 13%, and I'd be inclined to give the nod to Mckinney over the other two.

Plano still takes the cake, of course, but Mckinney is definitely holding it's own compared to the other CoCo schools.
Please, OP, please listen to these two. First hand knowledge, long time contributors to this site that have proven themselves to be well informed. McKinney ISD is as good as any in the area in my book. Plano might have some higher statistics, but I don't regret my children having been a product of McKinney schools.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some people's rating of McKinney lower than the other "big 3" is code for "don't send your kid to a school where there are too many blacks or Hispanics. Asians are better, so stick with the other three...." Anybody mind if I am so blunt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 12:41 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,059 posts, read 10,544,052 times
Reputation: 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Fairville??? I assume you mean Fairview. Fairview is split between McKinney ISD and Lovejoy ISD which is a more affluent/expensive district. My guess is that most would take Lovejoy over McKinney, although Lovejoy has had its problems, just look through the threads on the Dallas forum.

On the "Collin County scale", McKinney is perceived as being the lowest of the "BIG 4" Plano first, Frisco second, Allen third and McKinney bringing up the rear. If you really like McKinney, there are parts zoned to Frisco ISD, and probably within your price range.
These areas abut the parts of McKinney that have the best schools for those that have to be at the highest rated to feel good about themselves. I would put McKinney Boyd above Frisco Liberty any day of the week. And this is the part of Frisco ISD that gets moved around everytime Frisco builds a new HS (which is like one every year or two). A good chunk of McKinney that falls into Frisco ISD (Craig Ranch and other neighborhoods nearby) has been zoned for Centennial then Liberty and now will switch to the new Frisco Independence HS. The Frisco ISD is fine, mind you, but they won't build a HS in the McKinney part of the ISD, just elementary and middle.

If I would give any advice about these school districts, I would recommend living in the part of the city that has the same name as the ISD. If you are in one city but in another ISD, you are sort of in a no man's land. MHO of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top