U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 01:43 PM

12,196 posts, read 23,110,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaleh View Post
I was driving around the area yesterday and fell in love with it. The homes that I like are built in the 1930's but have a very high price tag. Should I be concerned about the age of the homes? What should I be looking for when one gets an inspection of the property? Also, my 3 boys currently go to a charter school in Carrollton. My oldest is entering 10th grade and would like to finish high school there so I would have to consider the 35 minute commute into my decision of moving to East Dallas. I have no problem putting my elementary student in Lakewood Elementary. Still up in the air on where to put my middle school son.
As long as a home inspects well, you have nothing to worry about re: age. Our home is 60+ years old and has a perfect foundation. We are not in Lakewood, but our home - like many there- was practically taken to the "studs" and renovated within the past 20 years. We have one original 1950's bathroom that's adorable (beadbord, subway tile bath, great 50's style tilework pattern on the floor). The other 3 baths have all been gutted and remodeled over the last 20 years. Our kitchen is less than 10 years old. Walls have been removed to make it more of an open floorplan that is popular today vs separate kitchen from family room. Our windows are all 10 years old, energy efficient, and soundproof. Our HVAC is less than 5 years old. Our water heaters are ancient but still work and that's an easy fix whenever they die. Our roof is brand new (thanks hail storm!) So basically we get the benefits of a relatively new home with the exterior and architectural charm of yesterday, plus gorgeous 70+ year old trees that canopy our lot. And neighbors that feel like a neighborhood - our next door neighbor is an original owner and is our block's "historian"

For your middle child, I'd recommend visiting Long Middle School. If he has good study habits and can handle an IB or pre-AP workload, I would enroll there (as long as you like the visit!). If he is an average student, I would strongly suggest private school (St John's, Lakehill, and St Thomas Acquinas are good East. Dallas options) as rhe regular classes at Long & Woodrow will be mainly full of economically disadvantaged kids who don't speak English at home, whereas the IB/Honors kids are the Lakewood kids + the academically gifted E/D kids. Gotta consider who the classmates & friends will be.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 AM

993 posts, read 2,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj View Post
What responders haven't mention is most of the homes in this area are significantly older, while they come with a premium price. The area is lovely, and it's very close to White Rock Lake, which is a Dallas landmark and very active during nice weather.
Shopping is somewhat limited. if you looked at this location on Googlemaps or something similar, you'd see Gaston Ave. just to the South a few blocks. Gaston and Garland Rd, just to the East is very old, and there's not much, except for a few mom-pop restaurants and bars. If you go West on Gaston up to Abrams, maybe 1/2 mile, then there's quite a bit going on there, including a Whole Foods grocery store that is very popular. If you go back towards Garland Rd and go North, then you come upon area known as Casa Linda, where there's an Albertson's grocery store, as well as lots of other restaurants and what I call boutique shops. Post office is just East of Garland rd. and Buckner Blvd. As others have mentioned, it is a lovely area, and it is one of the oldest parts of Dallas. The Lakewood area extends North and West. Quite a bit of small shops, banks, restaurants just NW of your position at Abrams Rd. and Mockingbird Ln., and it's a very short hop over to Greenville Ave. that is famous for it's nightlife, consisting of bars, restaurants, and small boutique shops. If you go further West down Gaston Rd, which would eventually lead you to downtown Dallas, you'd come across another area called Deep Ellum, known for an interesting nightlife with numerous small shops, restaurants, bars/nightclubs On the way, you would pass Baylor Hospital, a very good/reputable hospital. Also, Criswell College and Dallas Theological Seminary are in the immediate vicinity of the hospital, and Southern Methodist University is probably within five miles of your mentioned area, just West of Central Expressway/Hwy 75. You'll have to go up to Abrams/NW Hwy to get to any big-box stores, and the closest shopping mall is Northpark Mall, located at Central Expwy and NW Hwy., which is really old, but has been kept up very nice, and maybe somewhat pricey being it's location- this is where the really affluent Dallasites living in this area (Highland Park and University Park) tend to shop. Northpark Mall was it long ago, before the other malls in the suburbs sprung up.

If you were to go South of Gaston Ave from your location, then the area goes "downhill", more so the closer you get to I-30. I would describe Gaston Ave as a natural boundary, separating the upper middle class from the lower middle class, and even less affluent.

The Lakewood area could be considered high-rent district, particularly due to the age of home and no more than what one typically gets in terms of square footage and amenities of the average home there. It's also considered part of Dallas proper, the City of Dallas, and within the Dallas Independent School District. I do not know any specifics on the school you mentioned, but DISD, in general, is probably one of the worse, if not the worse, school district in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. If you can afford it, then you should seriously consider sending your children to a private school, which does exist in this area.

I've lived in Dallas area over 40 years, and while Lakewood is lovely, I find real estate extremely overpriced. You'd definitely be paying for the location, but it's also really an ideal location, putting you fairly close to most of the interesting/popular areas of Dallas proper.
Gaston isn't a boundary to anything. That country club and surrounding homes and neighborhoods are pretty damned nice and pricey and south of Gaston. Munger Place is south of Gaston. Shopping is no further away from people in Lakewood than anywhere else in the burbs. Pretty much anything one would need is within a few miles of you there, include superior places to play. At Gaston and Garland, they are building a new grocery and shopping complex as well. And to dismiss the nicest mall in Dallas as old is funny. Northpark's recent renovation makes it newer than any mall in the metroplex. And yes, some Lakewooders send their kids to privates, but plenty have confidence in their local DISD schools to send their kids their. Sounds like you haven't been to Lakewood or inside of Loop 12 for that matter in about 20 years.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 AM

19 posts, read 22,363 times
In regards to inspections, are plumbing and electrical work a standard part of the inspection process to make sure that they are up to code with today's standards?

Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 AM

1,622 posts, read 4,072,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Gaston isn't a boundary to anything. That country club and surrounding homes and neighborhoods are pretty damned nice and pricey and south of Gaston. Munger Place is south of Gaston. Shopping is no further away from people in Lakewood than anywhere else in the burbs. Pretty much anything one would need is within a few miles of you there, include superior places to play. At Gaston and Garland, they are building a new grocery and shopping complex as well. And to dismiss the nicest mall in Dallas as old is funny. Northpark's recent renovation makes it newer than any mall in the metroplex. And yes, some Lakewooders send their kids to privates, but plenty have confidence in their local DISD schools to send their kids their. Sounds like you haven't been to Lakewood or inside of Loop 12 for that matter in about 20 years.
I was under the impression that the boundary between affluent and working class had historically been the Santa Fe tracks. However, looking at home prices in Hollywood-Santa Monica now it would be difficult to call the area anything other than upper middle class or wealthy. I'm less familiar with the Mount Auburn area, so I don't know if it's still working class or if it's starting to gentry as well.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:29 AM

527 posts, read 861,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Shopping is no further away from people in Lakewood than anywhere else in the burbs. Pretty much anything one would need is within a few miles of you there, include superior places to play. At Gaston and Garland, they are building a new grocery and shopping complex as well. And to dismiss the nicest mall in Dallas as old is funny. Northpark's recent renovation makes it newer than any mall in the metroplex. And yes, some Lakewooders send their kids to privates, but plenty have confidence in their local DISD schools to send their kids their. Sounds like you haven't been to Lakewood or inside of Loop 12 for that matter in about 20 years.
Within 5 miles of my house in Lakewood I have Northpark mall, Sams, Walmart, Central Market, multiple Tom Thumbs, Albertsons's, Mockingbird Station, tons of local restaurants that beat anything y'all find in the burbs, all the standard chains too, various unique nightlife spots, great parks, Uptown, Greenville, Downtown, Lakewood Thearter area, bike trails, Whiterock Lake, one of the best elementary schools in DFW, middle and high schools that are on the rise and the best trees and green spaces in Dallas. That's just the short list.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:33 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,222,760 times
As I once saw in an ad for a Lakewood rental, "within ten minutes of any place worth going".

Old 06-05-2014, 07:42 AM

527 posts, read 861,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
"within ten minutes of any place worth going".
Said much more eloquently.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 AM

4,179 posts, read 4,346,464 times
Quote:
plumbing and electrical work a standard part of the inspection process to make sure that they are up to code with today's standards?
No, not really. Most plumbing and electrical lines are behind walls, and inspectors can't open them up to see if they are up to code or not. They check the fixtures, but that's like examining your skin to see if you have any diseases. Very useful, but not at all complete.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:52 PM

19 posts, read 22,363 times
The home that I had an interest in back in mid 2014 was placed back on the market in February and has not sold. Curious as to why this is??? I plan on viewing the property this week because there is something about the home that draws me to it.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:35 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,198,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaleh View Post
The home that I had an interest in back in mid 2014 was placed back on the market in February and has not sold. Curious as to why this is??? I plan on viewing the property this week because there is something about the home that draws me to it.
I understand your question because that is a long time on the market in LW. Typically, it is price or a structural problem. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or