U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:15 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,086,997 times

Advertisements

McKinney is a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:18 PM

24,576 posts, read 34,266,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzanoletti View Post
We are definitely not set on McKinney it is just the city we've heard good things about (Publicity 2nd best city to live on etc). Being from CA we are concern about the weather (heat snow and tornadoes). We've never been to Texas aside from a flight layover and of course we will first take a few trips to see what it is like to see if we continue exploring the idea.
The heat is the only realistic concern. It doesn't snow often here. Ice is a bigger concern, but if the roads are icy you can just take the day off...assuming your office is even open. Or you could work from home if your job allows it. Most companies have contingency plans for inclement weather. If you're not worried about earthquakes or wildfires, which are as destructive as tornados but affect much larger areas, then you should not fret about tornados either.

Get jobs first, then figure out where to live. Rent first. You never know; you might hate McKinney. Don't marry yourself to the idea of living there when it's only one far-flung suburb in a massive urban area bigger than some small European countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Coming from the SFV, you will love McKinney, a quick drive into North Dallas will have everything you love about living in LA including restaurants, culture, people, and shopping. North Dallas is like if LA got its act together and cleaned things up and redid everything more than 30 years old. You'll hate the heat though, but you can afford to run the AC at max through the summer and still get off cheaper than your DWP bill.
Guess it depends on how you define "quick."

Old 05-30-2014, 10:55 PM

15,439 posts, read 22,673,635 times
I would search through several neighborhoods. We chose Allen, next to McKinney. A few people mentioned it so we jumped. We are very happy here. However as we start to explore more of texas there are many beautiful areas. I am glad we chose where we are, but think we could have chosen many other areas and would be happy. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2014, 09:20 AM

8,059 posts, read 10,540,428 times
The one thing that separates McKinney apart for its Collin County neighbors is the historic district and old courthouse square. McKinney is the county seat and was the only town of note pre-Dallas suburban spillover. The charm of the city center NOT being 80s and later suburban development sets it apart IMO and the reason I chose it over the neighboring towns.

But I will chime in with the others, if your place of employment is further south than the Bush Tollway (also known as PGBT or Texas 190) or further west than the Dallas North Tollway, would consider other areas.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:25 PM

6,257 posts, read 13,496,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The one thing that separates McKinney apart for its Collin County neighbors is the historic district and old courthouse square. McKinney is the county seat and was the only town of note pre-Dallas suburban spillover. The charm of the city center NOT being 80s and later suburban development sets it apart IMO and the reason I chose it over the neighboring towns.

But I will chime in with the others, if your place of employment is further south than the Bush Tollway (also known as PGBT or Texas 190) or further west than the Dallas North Tollway, would consider other areas.
This. I also live in McKinney, and have lived in Plano for 20 years or so as well. However, when looking for homes we also shopped Plano, Allen, and to a lesser extent, Frisco. They are all very similar places, but each has something to set them apart a bit from the others. Plano has the best school district and the most shopping/dining of the 4. Frisco would rank second for shopping/dining, but probably has the worst school district of the 4 (though Allen, McKinney, and Frisco are all pretty similar, Plano is above the rest.) Allen has a closer proximity to Dallas than Frisco and McKinney, with a decent amount of retail/dining. McKinney has a revived downtown area and is known for its topography which is much better than any of the other 3, hills and trees are more prevalent here.

Figure out where you'll be working first, and if it's within an acceptable distance for a commute from McKinney, then I'd start my search in the Custer/121 area. That is where McKinney, Allen, Frisco, and Plano all intersect. Within a 4-5 mile radius of that location, you can find some great homes in the 300-600k range.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
McKinney is a great place to live.
I'll add a bit to this now that I have more time.

From our house, after Trader Joe's gets finished, we will be able to get to Sprouts, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's in 12 minutes or less. Whole Foods being the furthest. I'm not counting the stores like Kroger and Albertsons since I don't shop there.

In the same time frame listed above there are 3 Target locations we can get to. Two Home Depot and Lowes stores. Other stores typically available around these brands are there too, but I'm not going to list them.

Thats some of the big box story. Here are some of the more local products.

There is a great new dog park along and associated with nice bike/walking paths that cover a lot of distance. (Bike/Walking Trail Map)

The downtown square has many locally owned shops and restraunts. Local Yocal(Local Yocal Farm To Market McKinney Texas) and Emporium Pies(Emporium Pies • Fine Pies for Fine Folk • Bishop Arts, Dallas, Texas) are two of our favorites. The Saturday Farmers Market is highly regarded too.

Some folks like to call it just some "far-flung" burb, but for day to day things you don't have to travel far at all. Depending on where you work it can be a great place to live.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:27 PM

1,637 posts, read 3,700,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Coming from the SFV, you will love McKinney, a quick drive into North Dallas will have everything you love about living in LA including restaurants, culture, people, and shopping. North Dallas is like if LA got its act together and cleaned things up and redid everything more than 30 years old. You'll hate the heat though, but you can afford to run the AC at max through the summer and still get off cheaper than your DWP bill.
I disagree with most of this statement. That said, a family moving from SFV to McKinney should not have a difficult time adjusting. Though, it'll be more like living in Santa Clarita due to the master planned communities and whatnot. Good luck. The weather in summer will be similar.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:14 PM

57 posts, read 74,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I disagree with most of this statement. That said, a family moving from SFV to McKinney should not have a difficult time adjusting. Though, it'll be more like living in Santa Clarita due to the master planned communities and whatnot. Good luck. The weather in summer will be similar.
This.

I'm not sure what the original poster means by "improved lifestyle" in moving to McKinney. That said, As an Angeleno who has lived in North Dallas/Richardson for three years, I personally not found my lifestyle has improved. Because of the weather, traffic, and crime rates, I've given up road cycling and recreational running, which were two of my biggest pasttimes in Los Angeles. I've found "the average" here to be sexist, racist, and more than a bit xenophobic. I really think positive, intangible qualities more valuable than living in a bigger, fully air-conditioned house, but YMMV. I personally would not want to raise children, especially girls, in this kind of environment, but people value different things.

I have not found many local Texans to live up to the "nice" reputation that I've heard from several people, and most of the friends I've made here are from somewhere else. There are lots of fun activities to take your children to, including large amusement parks, large sporting stadiums, the Aquarium, and the new Perot Museum (natural history).

I've found healthcare here to be not as good as it is in Los Angeles; many dentists seem to be very drill happy in order to justify all their new equipment. I've found it difficult to find a dermotologist and general practitioner that I like. I have found a fantastic eye doctor in Garland and he happens to be the only medical professional here that I will give a ringing endorsement for.

If you, your spouse, or your children suffer from seasonal allergies, they will be much worse in Dallas. There are quite a few air quality 'ozone' days in the summer and fall, and this spring my husband and I have resorted to taking allergy medication daily, which is highly unusual for both of us.

If you like football, the state practically worships the sport. I would suggest not moving to Allen until they can figure out how they are going to pay for the structural repairs of its brand new high school football stadium. It wouldn't surprise me if the project ends up costing $200 million in the end.

There are many, many churches in the area, but I've found the mega-church is a bit of a weird experience and you may or may not like it. If anything I've become less religious/spiritual since moving here because of the giant church experience.

I would suggest considering Richardson, particularly the Canyon Creek neighborhood. It's not necessarily a "hot" city to move to, but the traffic is marginally better (at least until State Farm moves in) and the schools are theoretically just as good.

Even though you have a "selection" of power companies to pick from, your power is still delivered to you by OnCor. Are you ready to pay 2, 3, or 4x what you are paying now for power? Especially in the summer?

I would recommend looking up a report called "Texas on the Brink", which is a state-Congress-compiled comparison of Texas to the rest of the nation and Puerto Rico. I think one would find it an objective view (as best as one can get) of living in Texas and some of the problems one may find (on a macro level) here.

There are lots of jobs here, but it doesn't mean it will necessarily be easy to get a job here. I recently changed jobs within the Metroplex and it still took over six months and a friend's help to land an interview at my new firm, even though I am in a theoretically-valued STEM field.

My thoughts on traffic here have been thoroughly documented. Let's say I have not found the average Dallasite driver to be particularly energy conscious in their vehicle selection or driving methodologies and leave it at that.

Overall I have to say I've been deeply disappointed with how my adventure to Texas has turned out. I did get a very loving husband out of the deal, but there are definitely days that I would trade him and all my yuck experiences so I could be back in LA again.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAstris View Post
This.

I'm not sure what the original poster means by "improved lifestyle" in moving to McKinney. That said, As an Angeleno who has lived in North Dallas/Richardson for three years, I personally not found my lifestyle has improved. Because of the weather, traffic, and crime rates, I've given up road cycling and recreational running, which were two of my biggest pasttimes in Los Angeles. I've found "the average" here to be sexist, racist, and more than a bit xenophobic. I really think positive, intangible qualities more valuable than living in a bigger, fully air-conditioned house, but YMMV. I personally would not want to raise children, especially girls, in this kind of environment, but people value different things.

I have not found many local Texans to live up to the "nice" reputation that I've heard from several people, and most of the friends I've made here are from somewhere else. There are lots of fun activities to take your children to, including large amusement parks, large sporting stadiums, the Aquarium, and the new Perot Museum (natural history).

I've found healthcare here to be not as good as it is in Los Angeles; many dentists seem to be very drill happy in order to justify all their new equipment. I've found it difficult to find a dermotologist and general practitioner that I like. I have found a fantastic eye doctor in Garland and he happens to be the only medical professional here that I will give a ringing endorsement for.

If you, your spouse, or your children suffer from seasonal allergies, they will be much worse in Dallas. There are quite a few air quality 'ozone' days in the summer and fall, and this spring my husband and I have resorted to taking allergy medication daily, which is highly unusual for both of us.

If you like football, the state practically worships the sport. I would suggest not moving to Allen until they can figure out how they are going to pay for the structural repairs of its brand new high school football stadium. It wouldn't surprise me if the project ends up costing $200 million in the end.

There are many, many churches in the area, but I've found the mega-church is a bit of a weird experience and you may or may not like it. If anything I've become less religious/spiritual since moving here because of the giant church experience.

I would suggest considering Richardson, particularly the Canyon Creek neighborhood. It's not necessarily a "hot" city to move to, but the traffic is marginally better (at least until State Farm moves in) and the schools are theoretically just as good.

Even though you have a "selection" of power companies to pick from, your power is still delivered to you by OnCor. Are you ready to pay 2, 3, or 4x what you are paying now for power? Especially in the summer?

I would recommend looking up a report called "Texas on the Brink", which is a state-Congress-compiled comparison of Texas to the rest of the nation and Puerto Rico. I think one would find it an objective view (as best as one can get) of living in Texas and some of the problems one may find (on a macro level) here.

There are lots of jobs here, but it doesn't mean it will necessarily be easy to get a job here. I recently changed jobs within the Metroplex and it still took over six months and a friend's help to land an interview at my new firm, even though I am in a theoretically-valued STEM field.

My thoughts on traffic here have been thoroughly documented. Let's say I have not found the average Dallasite driver to be particularly energy conscious in their vehicle selection or driving methodologies and leave it at that.

Overall I have to say I've been deeply disappointed with how my adventure to Texas has turned out. I did get a very loving husband out of the deal, but there are definitely days that I would trade him and all my yuck experiences so I could be back in LA again.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:42 PM

24,576 posts, read 34,266,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAstris View Post
I have not found many local Texans to live up to the "nice" reputation that I've heard from several people, and most of the friends I've made here are from somewhere else.

*snip*

I'm in Richardson too. I can help you pack. Seriously...you're free to leave if you hate it that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or