U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,913,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nailed it.

Yes, because people on the East Coast are so friendly and welcoming to Texans. Just passing through Boston's airport I was subjected to abusive comments by people unhappy with then-President Bush. Like I singlehandedly put him in office by voting for GORE. When I encountered East Coasters while living abroad, they treated me like some quaint ignorant hick as soon as they found out I was from Texas. Nevermind that I could blend in with locals AND speak the language while they shuffled around like idiots in their size XXXXXL jeans and prison-white sneakers, trying desperately to find someone...anyone...who could speak English well enough to tell them where the nearest toilet was.

Some of us are used to outsiders. That's why we're not polite to some of them. What, do you think just because you're not from around here we're going to become your instant bestie and invite you into our charming little homes and sit in open-mouthed hick-like awe at your sophisticated ways as you sneer at our sweet tea and blackberry cobbler and the requisite giant aged bronze star on the wall or wall of decorative crosses or other "hick" decor stereotype?

And before you think me unsophisticated...I hold several passports, speak several languages fluently, and have lived in several countries. And I'm not a WASP hick either. This Jew can belt out Garth Brooks songs over cheap beer just as easily as she can put on a fancy dress and go to the symphony. And fit my narrow size 4 butt in the seat. And stay awake.

*mike drop*

Sorry, but attitudes like this **** me off. You're glad you moved away? We are too. Believe me. We are too. If you hated it here, you did yourself AND us a favor by moving away. I may hate Dallas, but I'm from here. I've earned it.
Wish I could rep you again!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 05:06 PM

382 posts, read 515,563 times
We have lived in several places (mostly large city suburbs north and south) and can only say that one gets out of a place what they make of it.

One will encounter people with various prejudices in every city/locale be it racial, class, south vs north, American vs other, keeping up with the Jones', etc..

But as long as that is not stopping one from doing what they want in life, those are just annoyances (i.e. not the majority). They should not be the defining aspect of the location.

Does DFW seem more or less prejudice than other areas? Not particularly. Why? The population is so mobile nowadays that it is becoming more uniform particularly in the suburbs where most newcomers from within the US migrate to. In DFW, many (a majority?) seem to be coming from the coasts IRS Tax Migration | How Money Walks | How $2 Trillion Moved between the States - A Book By Travis H. Brown.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:11 PM

19 posts, read 25,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecat1 View Post
Right now, I would rate the elementary schools in the northern part of the metroplex:
1. Frisco
2. Allen
3. McKinney
4. Plano
You would but in reality its Plano>Frisco>Allen>McKinney. Every district has some elementries that are superior to others but McKinney's overall performance is very mediocre. Imagine is a charter school and though better than rest of the Mckinney ISD, it has lots of issues including lack of funding, resources, leadership, space and organization. If you want a real IB school then go to a district that has an established IB program with a track record of excellence.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:15 PM

19 posts, read 25,677 times
International Baccalaureate

Old 07-27-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iParrot View Post
You would but in reality its Plano>Frisco>Allen>McKinney. Every district has some elementries that are superior to others but McKinney's overall performance is very mediocre.
The reality is that unless one is talking about the Park Cities area schools, there is not enough of a statistical difference to distinguish between all those school districts.

One only needs to locate in the chain (elementary/middle/high) that rate in the top quartile or better in each district. The biggest differentiator will be the child's ability, motivation, and parental involvement/support (not to mention several other smaller factors along the way - e.g. proximity to work affecting parental availability).

Each of those ISDs will provide the opportunity for the child who has ample supply of the biggies.

Also, there is more to raising a child to be a successful and happy adult than the belief that one has to move heaven and earth for the (remote) possibility at an extra 1-2% GPA.

If one has the money, they can move to the Park Cities area, or go private, as there might be a difference that money can buy. For the rest of us, the ROI is poor vs what we could be providing our children otherwise. Just picking the top tier chain of public schools in these district will likely give us the best value.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:19 AM

81 posts, read 95,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iParrot View Post
You would but in reality its Plano>Frisco>Allen>McKinney. Every district has some elementries that are superior to others but McKinney's overall performance is very mediocre. Imagine is a charter school and though better than rest of the Mckinney ISD, it has lots of issues including lack of funding, resources, leadership, space and organization. If you want a real IB school then go to a district that has an established IB program with a track record of excellence.

It is very interesting, that despite our differences we both rate McKinneyISD in the bottom half. This is what bothers me as a taxpayer. We have the highest tax rate in the state and we are rated in the bottom half of elementary schools.

Quite honestly, I think elementary is as good as it is going to get for MISD schools, other than the elective courses in high school. Our high school does have some very interesting elective courses, but obviously we're not getting our money's worth out of our schools if our best feature in our high schools is the Aviation program. (Both of my sons are in Aviation and it's great, but you would think they could have something above average from the core curriculum classes)

Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM

718 posts, read 1,181,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecat1 View Post
It is very interesting, that despite our differences we both rate McKinneyISD in the bottom half. This is what bothers me as a taxpayer. We have the highest tax rate in the state and we are rated in the bottom half of elementary schools.

Quite honestly, I think elementary is as good as it is going to get for MISD schools, other than the elective courses in high school. Our high school does have some very interesting elective courses, but obviously we're not getting our money's worth out of our schools if our best feature in our high schools is the Aviation program. (Both of my sons are in Aviation and it's great, but you would think they could have something above average from the core curriculum classes)
Well , I find this piece very interesting , I would not put down MISD yet

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2014 America's Most Challenging High Schools according to The Washington Post

Old 07-28-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
For more info...
"We take the total number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and Advanced International Certificate of Education tests given at a school each year and divide by the number of seniors who graduated in May or June. I call this formula the Challenge Index. With a few exceptions, public schools that achieved a ratio of at least 1.000, meaning they had as many tests in 2012 as they had graduates, were put on the national list at washingtonpost.com/highschoolchallenge. We rank the schools in order of ratio, with the highest (23.571) achieved by the American Indian Public Charter in Oakland, Calif.

I think 1.000 is a modest standard. A school can reach that level if only half of its students take one AP, IB or AICE test in their junior year and one in their senior year. But this year, only 9 percent of the approximately 22,000 U.S. public high schools managed to reach that standard and earn placement on our list." from here... ABC

There are 156 high schools in the metroplex. The list linked by Souleiado contains about 40 of them - the rest did not make the 1.000 cut point. Bottom listed Sachse scores a 1.128, while the top one from DFW - Uplift - scores a 15.696, just to give you an idea of the range. Looking at the raw index scores, I'd rank together the schools as follows:

1) The top 5 are all over 10.000.
2) Another 7 range between 9.999 and 4.000.
3) The biggest group are the next 22 schools that cluster between 3.999 and 2.000.
4) The next 6 are above 1.000.

Getting on the list is respectable for the aspect it is measuring - probably more a demonstration of motivation of the student body.

The top 12 are noticeably higher scoring than the rest.

Most of the mentioned North Dallas suburban high schools (in this thread and elsewhere in this forum) fall within the cluster of 22. Given the tighter range, it is harder to tell if there is really any significant difference within that group on this aspect.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 AM

81 posts, read 95,743 times
Wow, I guess I take it back! My high school, that my sons attend, McKinney North, is rated #421! This is higher than South Lake Carroll, and Plano West, to name two schools.

North was higher than both McKinney High and McKinney Boyd. To give some perspective, the first "normal" high school from the metroplex I noticed was Highland Park, at #94. I put normal in quotes because I am saying the other schools from the metroplex listed higher were magnets, or charters, such as Uplift.

I suspect Uplift pays for the entire cost of the AP exam. Also, charter schools can decide who enrolls in their school, so combine those two factors and bam!

This gets me to part of my problem with McKinney. MISD used to pay the entire cost of the AP exam. All of those years, us taxpayers paid for the cost of exams, and then when my kids got up to high school they pulled the rug out from under us.

btw, my kids have been passing those exams! Very exciting. So far, both boys have credit for 6 hours of World History, and the older child has 3 hours of college English, and 3 hours of American History.

Last edited by orangecat1; 07-29-2014 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or