U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:59 PM

6 posts, read 12,174 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking to purchase near tollway and 121 and our budget is 400-500k and we really like the Richwood neighborhood due to its location and the planning. We went for a drive today and few days ago and noticed that the demographics of the neighborhood is very uneven. We did speak with few of the sales rep and they stated that about 50-70% of the neighborhood is owned by non-native english speakers. While I have nothing against it and do not mind at all however I do have 2 kids who are in elementary schools and I am wondering about the competitiveness of the school and also the home value down the road since I am looking at this as an investment.

Advises ?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:16 PM

954 posts, read 1,532,758 times
Here we go again **popcorns**

By the way, just keeping it PC just like you did on the post, last 11 of the 15 spelling bees have been won by kids of non-native english speakers.
Also many NMSFs in this area are kids of non-native english speakers.
Just curious, where did you move from? I have a good guess on it...

Also what does "advises" mean?

Last edited by frenzyrider; 05-30-2014 at 09:25 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 09:35 PM

99 posts, read 118,237 times
You will likely have a negative ROI on your investment no matter the neighborhood.

Schools should be good as frenzyrider has pointed out. However, I don't think the favorable performance of non-native english speakers being the fact that they are children of recent immigrants, but rather but more highly correlated to parental involvement and reduced sense of entitlement.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTexasBound View Post
You will likely have a negative ROI on your investment no matter the neighborhood.

Schools should be good as frenzyrider has pointed out. However, I don't think the favorable performance of non-native english speakers being the fact that they are children of recent immigrants, but rather but more highly correlated to parental involvement and reduced sense of entitlement.
Not necessarily negative ROI if u r close to 121 and can wait 5 years when there will be nothing left in this part of frisco. Home prices are crazy right now and expected to go up 8% in 75035. I don't know whether it will be that quick

Old 05-30-2014, 10:41 PM

718 posts, read 1,180,851 times
The demographic of Richwoods is not uneven , it is mainly upper class and highly educated Asian but especially Indian families. The demographic that any school district would be glad to welcome. Those families are very involved in schools.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:06 AM

6 posts, read 12,174 times
Thanks for the replies. I am not trying to be negative at all as I am also first generation immigrant. I am just trying to look out for competitiveness in schools since I do hear that many Indian families are starting to avoid other Indian families since the competition at schools are so great that it puts too much stress on the kids so they are moving out to parts of town that has less Indian population. I did look up on CAD and picked a few streets and found that close to 80% owners were Indians. I was just hoping that the neighborhood had more diversity thats all.

I am from Dallas and currently my neighborhood has a very good mixture of races and its great.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torres9399 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am not trying to be negative at all as I am also first generation immigrant. I am just trying to look out for competitiveness in schools since I do hear that many Indian families are starting to avoid other Indian families since the competition at schools are so great that it puts too much stress on the kids so they are moving out to parts of town that has less Indian population. I did look up on CAD and picked a few streets and found that close to 80% owners were Indians. I was just hoping that the neighborhood had more diversity thats all.

I am from Dallas and currently my neighborhood has a very good mixture of races and its great.
If it is your main reason , then frankly you should be ok. A lot of families are moving in the area to avoid the craziness and stressful environment of places like Plano ISD. This is always a subject that is avoid in this forum since here most people have the tendency to glorify the best of the best when it comes to things like SAT scores and only look at numbers .Yet nobody talks about that many parents are fed up with a system that push their kids to the maximum , forgetting that they are first , children. That feeling is very present even in the Asian community. This is my area , and while we are glad that the schools are getting better , we are also glad that we can avoid the craziness. Most parents here are very involved in their children life and are very educated , and want the best , yet we also understand that each child needs to go to their own speed and this is one of the few ISD that offers equality in founds and options at all levels. Now , Richwoods is not the only developpment that feeds into the area schools. Schools like Liberty high school is extremely diversified , many Europeans live here ( I'm one of them) as well as Libanese , Jordanian, Israelians, etc.....many Californians have also moved and keep moving in the area. A good portion of those high schoolers will be leaving next year for the new Independance high school.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:34 AM

91 posts, read 126,488 times
If you want to avoid competitive schools and predominantly Asian/South Asian neighborhoods then you should look into Prosper and Lucas. By the way there is too much emphasis on "We" here ... which makes it sound like that all Frisco parents or all Plano parents think alike and that's not the case.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 AM

You should consider Lawler Park next to Richwoods. Way better diversity in my opinion...

Old 05-31-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
You should consider Lawler Park next to Richwoods. Way better diversity in my opinion...
Totally agree, this is a wonderful neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas