U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:50 AM

467 posts, read 1,032,594 times

Advertisements

If the larger lot is a common 'Variable' for any location and the OP has a strong personal preference to have it, it wouldn't reduce the property tax for any location except for the property tax difference between the cities. Homestead exemption is not much and generally a fixed value depending on the claim criteria and I usually consider it as a reduction of property tax on my overall tax paid, will not matter much matter if its house or land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:38 AM

3,402 posts, read 5,387,713 times
Quote:
I guess OP wants to pay high property taxes in order to have a huge backyard that he has to mow and water all summer...?
Oh come on now, lots of people want a large lot and I totally understand why the flat treeless lots you tend to find on the eastern side of the metro aren't a draw.

I see why the OP likes Flower Mound--there are some beautiful wooded, hilly areas out there. You leave most of the lot natural and you get lots of privacy and a beautiful view. It's completely different than 1.5-2 acres of flat nothingness.

As for the OP's question, yes the commute will be a beating. Getting out of Flower Mound takes forever and the short stint you have to do on 35 to get to the George Bush is awful as well. Worse coming home. I did it for awhile (to Plano, so I didn't even have to fight traffic on 75) and it was AWFUL.

I'd encourage you to look further in the areas Turtle Creek mentioned and see if you can find something that is closer to what you are looking for.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 AM

714 posts, read 665,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why do you have to have so much land anyway?
Lol. To keep the neighbors away. I just moved from Denver and I used to live in a quiet nice suburb right next to Buckley AFB except the fact that my neighbor on rightside was a 'douche bag' cop with an annoying German Sheppard and left side was his best buddy with 2 annoying dogs plus 3 more right behind for the 3rd neighbor. I couldn't step out to my backyard, these creatures will start barking non stop until 15 minutes after I walk back in. Then the cop's new gf moved in shortly with a second annoying one (basset hound) which was louder than the German Sheppard. The moron left the dogs in the backyard while he was away and those creatures were bored/ignored and it took out the frustrations on the neighbors. I had the smallest backyard(6500 sq ft) in the neighborhood since our house was bigger compared to our neighbors for the same lot size. I wanted to report him but I chose to keep my TX license plate when I moved to CO in 09 (to save money since registration fees were ridiculous - $400) and didn't wanted to **** off the cop while driving on out of state plates. I had to deal with this for 5 years, and finally when I had my property on market, clients complained about the same and cost me many good offers. Their feedback literally included the statement 'Kill the dogs'. Lesson learned...

Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 PM

24,576 posts, read 34,290,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Lol. To keep the neighbors away. I just moved from Denver and I used to live in a quiet nice suburb right next to Buckley AFB except the fact that my neighbor on rightside was a 'douche bag' cop with an annoying German Sheppard and left side was his best buddy with 2 annoying dogs plus 3 more right behind for the 3rd neighbor. I couldn't step out to my backyard, these creatures will start barking non stop until 15 minutes after I walk back in. Then the cop's new gf moved in shortly with a second annoying one (basset hound) which was louder than the German Sheppard. The moron left the dogs in the backyard while he was away and those creatures were bored/ignored and it took out the frustrations on the neighbors. I had the smallest backyard(6500 sq ft) in the neighborhood since our house was bigger compared to our neighbors for the same lot size. I wanted to report him but I chose to keep my TX license plate when I moved to CO in 09 (to save money since registration fees were ridiculous - $400) and didn't wanted to **** off the cop while driving on out of state plates. I had to deal with this for 5 years, and finally when I had my property on market, clients complained about the same and cost me many good offers. Their feedback literally included the statement 'Kill the dogs'. Lesson learned...
Ummmm you realize you'll need a yard far larger than 1-2 acres if you want to be away from barking dog noise, right?

I can hear peoples' dogs many houses down with a lot more stuff in between us than simply land. Fences, trees, houses, garages, etc. The sound carries through air. You'll need a lot more air if you want complete quiet. What you want is unrealistic. What are you going to do if you buy that precious 1-2 acre lot and someone with five dogs moves in next door? It could happen.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:23 AM

714 posts, read 665,027 times
Quote:
Ummmm you realize you'll need a yard far larger than 1-2 acres if you want to be away from barking dog noise, right?

I can hear peoples' dogs many houses down with a lot more stuff in between us than simply land. Fences, trees, houses, garages, etc. The sound carries through air. You'll need a lot more air if you want complete quiet. What you want is unrealistic. What are you going to do if you buy that precious 1-2 acre lot and someone with five dogs moves in next door? It could happen.
I dont need 1-2 acre. Just enough space so the neighbor is not right up my face. The previous house we had, the neighbors patio door was facing ours and we could never leave the blinds open since I could see every single thing going on in their house and vice versa. And the dogs were just an additional bonus. I don't mind neighbors with dogs. My entire lot was around 6500 sq ft with .18 acre backyard. That makes big difference with dogs barking.

I been looking around for 6 months now but can't find one I liked (location,school district etc.)Thinking about new build homes, but they have like $1200 + annual HOA. Does it worth paying that price in the long run?I wouldn't be using their pool, tennis court etc. But I see the new house comes with media room which I really liked and not available with most of the old houses I have seen so far. Do you guys really use the media room? Unlike in CO, the master bed is in main floor which I felt like could be an issue if you are watching movies at night without a media room. Other than that I don't see the point of buying 'touch your neighbors window' style new homes.

Last edited by nitynity; 06-07-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
I dont need 1-2 acre. Just enough space so the neighbor is not right up my face. The previous house we had, the neighbors patio door was facing ours and we could never leave the blinds open since I could see every single thing going on in their house and vice versa. And the dogs were just an additional bonus. I don't mind neighbors with dogs. My entire lot was around 6500 sq ft with .18 acre backyard. That makes big difference with dogs barking.

I been looking around for 6 months now but can't find one I liked (location,school district etc.)Thinking about new build homes, but they have like $1200 + annual HOA. Does it worth paying that price in the long run?I wouldn't be using their pool, tennis court etc. But I see the new house comes with media room which I really liked and not available with most of the old houses I have seen so far. Do you guys really use the media room? Unlike in CO, the master bed is in main floor which I felt like could be an issue if you are watching movies at night without a media room. Other than that I don't see the point of buying 'touch your neighbors window' style new homes.
I think you're being too picky.

I can hear other peoples' dogs and sometimes they aggravate me, but that's life in the suburbs. You deal.

You do realize that you can put up curtains, blinds, etc., right? My house sits on an 80 x 115 lot and I can't see into any of my neighbors' yards from my backyard. From the front, all I see is other front yards. I can hear them and I can smell their barbecues, but again...that's life in the suburbs. It doesn't bother me.

Try living in a 600 sq ft studio in a major European city sometime (or New York for that matter). The noise never stops. Ever. Not only can you hear everything going on in the street below you, you hear your neighbors' footfalls, their fights, their dogs barking, doors slamming as they come and go, people having loud conversations in corridors and stairwells, etc. No amount of soundproofing will keep it all out. It's not like it was a hellish cacophony of noise everywhere, but you could hear them. You knew they were there. And you didn't have a flippin' YARD. I rented one in Paris for a while that was on Line 6 of the Metro. The elevated portion. "Noisy" doesn't even begin to describe it. Alas, somehow, I managed.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:43 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,690,633 times
Quote:
I think you're being too picky.

I can hear other peoples' dogs and sometimes they aggravate me, but that's life in the suburbs. You deal.

You do realize that you can put up curtains, blinds, etc., right? My house sits on an 80 x 115 lot and I can't see into any of my neighbors' yards from my backyard. From the front, all I see is other front yards. I can hear them and I can smell their barbecues, but again...that's life in the suburbs. It doesn't bother me.

Try living in a 600 sq ft studio in a major European city sometime (or New York for that matter). The noise never stops. Ever. Not only can you hear everything going on in the street below you, you hear your neighbors' footfalls, their fights, their dogs barking, doors slamming as they come and go, people having loud conversations in corridors and stairwells, etc. No amount of soundproofing will keep it all out. It's not like it was a hellish cacophony of noise everywhere, but you could hear them. You knew they were there. And you didn't have a flippin' YARD. I rented one in Paris for a while that was on Line 6 of the Metro. The elevated portion. "Noisy" doesn't even begin to describe it. Alas, somehow, I managed.

Sorry but I'm with the OP on this one. I currently live in suburbia with the neighbors back yard fence less than 10 ft away from my bedroom window. They let their two dogs out in the yard at night. So I get to hear the seemingly non stop howling and barking. At night. Good times. No amount of curtains or anything else can reduce the sound. If I had the option of an acre or two, no it wouldnt eliminate the sound but it would be a whole lot further away than right next to my window. So OP if you can swing it, get it.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Sorry but I'm with the OP on this one. I currently live in suburbia with the neighbors back yard fence less than 10 ft away from my bedroom window. They let their two dogs out in the yard at night. So I get to hear the seemingly non stop howling and barking. At night. Good times. No amount of curtains or anything else can reduce the sound. If I had the option of an acre or two, no it wouldnt eliminate the sound but it would be a whole lot further away than right next to my window. So OP if you can swing it, get it.
Yet people think alleys are stupid and trashy...well, I'll tell you what my alley provides: a buffer between my backyard and my neighbors' backyard. They have giant dogs that are out all day long and bark REALLY loudly from time to time. They're horrible.

But there's my whole backyard, landscaping, a fence, an alley, more landscaping, and another fence between me and them.

Also...you do realize that dogs barking all night is almost certainly violating some noise ordinance where you live, right? It's a definite violation where I live. If there's a dog out there barking nonstop at 3am for hours on end, I don't use the app to file a complaint. Nope. I call the cops. RPD has a non-emergency number just for non-emergencies like this.

File complaints. Do it over and over, as long as it takes. I don't know about where you live, but where I live you'd rack up fines PDQ. Over the few years I've had my dog, I've gotten notice of two noise complaints about "my" dog, neither of which were legitimate since the behavior they were describing made it impossible for it to have been my dog since he is indoors during the day when I'm not here and is never outdoors unsupervised in the middle of the night. But you get my point. Complaint filed, letter sent, fine threatened. Had the problem actually been with my dog, I'd have been fined if I had failed to remedy the problem.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:19 AM

480 posts, read 822,206 times
I know you are set on Flower Mound, but I encourage you to drive around Richardson. It is one of the older, but more affluent suburbs of the DFW. Bigger lots and homes with character. Lot's of trees. I can't remember the name of the road I used to take to UTD, but there are a lot of hidden gems. Also look at Preston Road in North Dallas/Addison area. Lots of nice homes with large lots...the drive though, I think you would do 121 to 190 then 75 or something.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:43 AM

170 posts, read 345,862 times
If you like new builds and large lots - look into Bella Strada with First Texas Homes in Flower Mound. Large size homes / Large Lots and within your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or