Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 02:25 PM

171 posts, read 358,834 times

Advertisements

I have never been pulled over in my whole life until 3 months ago

The cop gave me a first ticket for driving at 42 in a 35 zone and a second ticket for driving with a driver license that had a restriction which I was not aware of.
Long story short I was driving with a provisional license and not a permanent driver license.

I went to the Plano municipal court, payed the fines and chose the deferred option. Everything was going well and 3 days before the end of my probation, I got pulled over by the same cop!! Driving at 41 in a 30 zone.
He was in a moving vehicle driving on the other side of the road. He recognized me and even pointed out at the fact that I corrected my address on my driver license. I mean what are the chances to be pulled over by the same cop!! It is really bad luck

I went to the Plano court and asked to go in front of a judge. I am scheduled for Mid July.
I still have to figure out what I am going to tell him...

Any advise will be really appreciated.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 02:44 PM

348 posts, read 830,297 times
Were you actually going 41 in a 30? That's pretty bad. I make it a point to obey the laws as much as feasible, but I'd be doubly and triply careful if I were on probation. I'm not trying to judge you, especially since I don't know the circumstances, but after nearly 20 years of driving without a single moving violation, just by obeying the law, I think it's a good course to recommend.

Tell the judge the truth. You'll swear an oath to do so, and maybe the judge will accept your sincerity. Still, 35% over the speed limit is pretty bad, so if you have to pay the fine and get the license points for both violations, consider it a lesson learned and do better in the future.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:48 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but since you got busted during your probationary period for the previous violations odds are high that you'll end up losing your deferred status and will be penalized for all the infractions.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Sorry man...what you did was not prudent. Take your lumps and learn your lesson.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:35 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
I think you should be okay. On probation, they are more worried about being caught with more drugs, dwi, etc. Not really speeding tickets. Depends on the judge. And going 41 in a 30 just depends on the area. Some roads are built for speeds like 40-50 (especially in Plano), but just have artificially low speed limits so cops can get their quota. You just met an ahole cop. I had that happen to me once on Black Friday when I lived in Arlington traveling on pleasant ridge just after Bowen. He was in the median making a uturn, and I guess I looked at him suspiciously, in his opinion. I was going 42 in a 40, as one of my friends in the car even checked my speedometer because he saw him too. Pulled me over for "speeding", checked my license and asked where we were going (said Best Buy) gave me my stuff back and walked away. Perfect case of driving while Black. My two white friends in the car with me even joked they I should be happy they were there with me.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:06 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
I would get an attorney involved. They know how to best handle your unusual situation. Using one is the best way to minimize impacts on your driving record and usually save in fines what they charge too.

Getting the right attorney is more about finding one who works that particular jurisdiction than anything. I have chosen one from the letters sent to me when the ticket happened, although if you know someone who used an attorney with that court that is the best way to select one.

I do not know any in plano to recommend to you. Good luck and give me a buzz if you want to discuss

Old 06-01-2014, 11:34 AM

171 posts, read 358,834 times
In my post I asked for advise not for moral lessons. People who have nothing insightful to say should refrain from replying.

Bluescreen, Trae and John, thanks for the ADVICE

I have already paid for the first 2 fines. My plan is to get an attorney and hope that the judge agrees to keep two of the infractions off my record. Especially the one for driving with a restricted license which was a mistake from the DPS.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
The same thing happened to me. First I got a speeding ticket. Then, there was a stop sign and I did stop but, according to the cop, "not enough time" (...). The difference is that I requested defensive driving and then deferred adj. I do not know if you could request defensive driving in this case because, as other people have already mentioned, you were supposed to avoid any other infractions while on probation.

Well, try with one of those lawyers that mail people after infractions and see if you can do anything about it. Good luck!

And wow, the amount of moral lessons here! :-/

Last edited by DFWgal; 06-02-2014 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 AM

551 posts, read 1,098,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London29 View Post
In my post I asked for advise not for moral lessons. People who have nothing insightful to say should refrain from replying.
You picked the wrong forum then. A lot of people here love to add their high horse no value posts when people ask a question. You just have learn to skim over it.

You could go the attorney route and probably get it reduced to a non insurance impacting violation with a fine. You will also obviously have to pay the attorney. You will pay more upfront but it's probably you best chance of getting out with anything on your record.

Or you could go yourself and plead your case. It's a crap shoot but you would probably be ok. It's not like you were breaking any major laws and the speeding was minor. I assume you corrected the provisional license issue right away? That combined with a 40+ year clean driving record puts you on pretty solid ground if you want to roll the dice.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:09 AM

348 posts, read 830,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London29 View Post
I hope my reply didn't come across as judgemental. I intended for it to be practical advice, not a vague moral lesson. Following the rules is the best way to avoid trouble. Now that you have trouble, tell the judge the truth and be ready for the consequences. It's my hope that, whatever the outcome, you'll learn from the experience.

Consulting a local attorney is obvious. The only thing I can add is that trouble is the logical outcome when breaking rules, and that experiences, even unpleasant ones, are opportunities to learn lessons and for resolutions to do better. I wish you the best, both in court and in your pursuit of peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: