U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:48 PM

2,676 posts, read 3,841,378 times

Advertisements

I would go with an independent structural engineer for a real report. Foundation companies have a vested interest in fixing foundations. Engineers- if not tied to a foundation company- are certified and qualified to give options and informed opinions.

Pier and Beam is superior in only that it's easier to access for repairs and the depth of the piers provide more resistance than a slab. Downside is some feel a slab feels more 'solid' underneath the foot.

Last edited by GreyDay; 06-01-2014 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 06:49 PM

24,576 posts, read 34,285,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
I would go with an independent structural engineer for a real report. Foundation companies have a vested interest in fixing foundations. Engineers- if not tied to a foundation company- are certified and qualified to give options and informend opinions.

Pier and Beam is superior in only that it's easier to access for repairs and the depth of the piers provide more resistance than a slab. Downside is some feel a slab feels more 'solid' underneath the foot.
And for people with back or foot problems, pier and beams can be a godsend. I've had back and foot problems almost my entire life and my house's foundation helps out with those a lot. When I visit homes on slabs and spend a lot of time on my feet, I can definitely feel it the next day. It hurts a LOT.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:36 AM

153 posts, read 182,792 times
Bought this foreclosure house in 1996 when it was already 20 years old. I knew it was crooked, and that several doors didn't latch properly and also that there was a prominent 3/4" sag over two 24" door casings. This was due to ineffective pier/beam support in one section plus years of settling.

After another 17 years, I finally got around to having a house mover install a couple of new 18' four-ply lapped 2x10 girders which are supported upon sixteen new 24"x18"x8" poured-concrete pads. Three guys worked 5 whole days in a cramped and dusty 24" high crawl space to build the girders, cut them to fit around existing pipes and ducts, dig holes, pour the concrete, place the blocks, jack and shim the joists. Every day, I provided Bud Lite refreshments at "beer-thirty".

The cost was $4400 + beer.

In the ensuing year, I have fully renovated a Jack & Jill bath sitting directly over the newly shored-up area. I have installed over 100 square feet of PEI 6 ceramic floor tile, fixed the cracked sheet rock, installed new doors, installed two granite counter tops. Nothing has sagged any more in a year.

In sum, the foundation work was relatively SIMPLE and cost less than the bath renovation.

Note: if you have pier/beam and you have some leveling work done, tell the contractor you want them to use leveling shims. If future leveling tweaks are needed, it's a simple, fast and inexepensive matter to adjust the shims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or