U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:28 PM

41 posts, read 56,144 times

Advertisements

Under contract 1 year old home, inspection report found
- 1 door jammed (master bedroom closet)
- 1 door swinging 45 degree open, does not stay in place (master bedroom main door)
- 1 door not latching (room above master)
- several other minor things

Inspector didn't find any cracks etc.

Seller is getting these issues fixed by calling the builder.

However my friends/colleagues are telling me the combination of above issues are sure signs of foundation issue. Reputed builder in Frisco, 1 year old home, foundation drip part of the sprinkler system, so hard to swallow it could be a foundation issue.

However, afraid to close the deal with these issues, as the seller can get them fixed easily, but afraid they might be superficial fixes, with the foundation issue continuing to propagate.

I know the builder gives 1,2,10 year warranty, but it has caveats. Also heard in Dallas area, foundation issues are common, but thought technology has improved so this should be non-issue in new build homes.

How do I know if it's just a settling issue or foundation issue? INspector doesn't say anything and points me to a bunch of fine print disclaimer. Don't want to knowingly buy a lemon.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 11:42 PM

24,576 posts, read 34,249,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar12 View Post
Under contract 1 year old home, inspection report found
- 1 door jammed (master bedroom closet)
- 1 door swinging 45 degree open, does not stay in place (master bedroom main door)
- 1 door not latching (room above master)
- several other minor things

Inspector didn't find any cracks etc.

Seller is getting these issues fixed by calling the builder.

However my friends/colleagues are telling me the combination of above issues are sure signs of foundation issue. Reputed builder in Frisco, 1 year old home, foundation drip part of the sprinkler system, so hard to swallow it could be a foundation issue.

However, afraid to close the deal with these issues, as the seller can get them fixed easily, but afraid they might be superficial fixes, with the foundation issue continuing to propagate.

I know the builder gives 1,2,10 year warranty, but it has caveats. Also heard in Dallas area, foundation issues are common, but thought technology has improved so this should be non-issue in new build homes.

How do I know if it's just a settling issue or foundation issue? INspector doesn't say anything and points me to a bunch of fine print disclaimer. Don't want to knowingly buy a lemon.

Thanks in advance!
If you're worried, Google "foundation inspector DFW" and you'll see page after page of companies you can call. It's a few hundred bucks, but it beats the thousands it would cost to have a foundation fixed if you buy it anyway and it turns out there really is a problem. Or get the builder to pay for it. You shouldn't be seeing a problem like this in a house that's only one year old.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:18 AM

954 posts, read 1,533,532 times
Highly recommend a structural engineer. You shouldn't be seeing those problems but sometimes the wood might not have set in and it is just expanding in its first summer season... Not all door jam problems are related to foundation and this is why they cover workmanship in the warranty.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:46 AM

Firstly thank you guys for the quick responses.

Question - should I call foundation inspector or structural engineer?

The home is about 13 months old, so this is the second summer season, as it experienced the first summer season in 2013.

The sellers said this problem was not with the doors earlier, which makes me more worried as to how this problem developed on it's own. The builder is coming to take a look at the doors tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see what their repairmen have to say on this.

By the way, there are also signs of water leak at the drywall near the master bathroom vent. Anything to worry about there.

Just worried as a first time home buyer...I understand no house is perfect and it might be just all fine, but wondering if I go forward with this transaction and something does turn out to be a problem with the foundation, my mistake of accepting a potential known issue.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:02 AM

35,344 posts, read 38,782,700 times
If you want to get a free opinion call Arch Foundation or Structured Foundation Repair. Both are honest and will evaluate the house.
If you want a paid expert opinion call a Foundation engineer.

I would go with option 1 above if there is no visible signs of cracking. The doors may just not be installed level.

Curious.. Do you have a crappy RE agent that cannot provide these answers and give you recommendations ?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:23 AM

MY RE agent is giving me suggestions on who to get checked from, but I wanted to double-check and poll a wider community hence the call for help. BTW can't appreciate enough for the quick responses.

Also even with foundation engineers or structural engineers, the evaluation will be with caveats, ultimately the decision and implications rest with me.

The worrying thing for me is that the door was installed properly to begin with as the seller is saying they didn't notice this probelm earlier, so how come the door jam developed on it's own.

All warning signs are prompting me to walk away from the deal, but we do like the house so are doing all the due diligence.

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:48 AM

277 posts, read 554,570 times
Sounds like a settling issue on where the MBR suite is. I'd say let the builder inspect the foundation drip system in that area to be sure its functional when activated. Issues doesn't sound too major but I bet it will correct itself when watered properly. The issues can also result recent rains producing too much water. Have the builder look at the gutter downspouts in that area too to make sure they are draining away from the foundation. Texas foundation upkeep is a PITA.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 AM

21,530 posts, read 12,196,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar12 View Post
This is unfortunately not true. It appears to be totally a cost issue, but it appears to me that unless someone insists on it in a custom home, the technology that everyone knows "fixes" the problem is never used in new construction to prevent the problem from occurring.

A certified, independent engineer will map the height variations across the foundation and show you graphically where it dips, bulges, ripples, et cetera, and determine some of the possible causes. For instance, a swell in the kitchen area of an older building might be the result of a plumbing leak under the foundation.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:06 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,913,059 times
I have foundation issues in a 9 y/o home but I knew that before I bought it and got a discount. I had a structural engineer look at it and do a Level B (I think it's called) report. He went around with a gadget that measured the altitude of the house compared to a central point. He said they don't recommend piering until the high-low difference is 2" b/c you can cause more problems than you fix (like cracked pipes). DM me if you want their name - cost $300 in AUg 2012.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:14 AM

21,530 posts, read 12,196,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
He said they don't recommend piering until the high-low difference is 2" b/c you can cause more problems than you fix (like cracked pipes).
Seems to me that if you wait to fix the problem until the relocation will be that great, you're guaranteeing plumbing problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or