U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2014, 11:59 AM
 
2,676 posts, read 3,837,911 times
Reputation: 1568

Advertisements

Had same issue with St. Augustine. Gave up. Never liked the grass, took forever to green up and went down quickest in the fall. Going with Zoysia.

Did read an interesting article on the 4-grass blend they use at the George W. Bush library which needs less mowing and watering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2014, 05:38 PM
 
Location: North Texas
24,577 posts, read 34,243,351 times
Reputation: 28402
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Had same issue with St. Augustine. Gave up. Never liked the grass, took forever to green up and went down quickest in the fall. Going with Zoysia.

Did read an interesting article on the 4-grass blend they use at the George W. Bush library which needs less mowing and watering
So did I, but it requires full sun (which I don't have) and isn't available as a sod that I can find anyway...and trying to grow a lawn from seed when you live alone and work full time would be a waste of money and an exercise in futility, especially with the stingy watering variances that the city allows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 06:11 PM
 
31,673 posts, read 49,146,674 times
Reputation: 17427
Have you looked at your house on Google maps or Bing to see how accurate the overhead view is--
the guy who quoted us on our fertilizer/weed killer yard service was able to use a satellite view and the TAD map w/dimensions w/o driving in from Burleson just for the estimate...

and I would say that you might be better to hold off now and plan for next May--
I think the heat is going to come out in spades and you might put the yard at risk...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 06:14 PM
 
Location: North Texas
24,577 posts, read 34,243,351 times
Reputation: 28402
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Have you looked at your house on Google maps or Bing to see how accurate the overhead view is--
the guy who quoted us on our fertilizer/weed killer yard service was able to use a satellite view and the TAD map w/dimensions w/o driving in from Burleson just for the estimate...

and I would say that you might be better to hold off now and plan for next May--
I think the heat is going to come out in spades and you might put the yard at risk...
Oh I'm not resodding until at least the fall. Whether I do or not will depend on several factors, most of which I have no control over! I'm playing it by ear.

I really would like to get some recommendations though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2014, 04:58 PM
 
Location: North Texas
24,577 posts, read 34,243,351 times
Reputation: 28402
So I'm guessing not a single person has a landscaper to recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 AM
 
92 posts, read 86,483 times
Reputation: 95
With five mature trees in the front yard, the amount of sunlight might not be enough for zyosia to thrive. St Augustine is generally more shade tolerant than zyosia and it still needs around 4 hours of sunlight a day.

As for contractors for installs, try calling Miller Grass (local sod farm) and see who they recommend and what the pricing is like.
I personally haven't bought anything from Miller Grass but have heard good things about them from a lawn enthusiast forum.
How to plant fresh sod in North Texas | Miller Grass

When the contractor is out, I'd also have him/her look at the shade situation and recommendation for grass varities. The last thing you want to do is spend thousands on re-sodding and only to have it slowly die out a year later because the grass is not getting enough light.

Here's a good document explaining some finer points of growing grass in the shade.
http://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-6140.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 05:47 PM
 
Location: North Texas
24,577 posts, read 34,243,351 times
Reputation: 28402
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2URGSE View Post
With five mature trees in the front yard, the amount of sunlight might not be enough for zyosia to thrive. St Augustine is generally more shade tolerant than zyosia and it still needs around 4 hours of sunlight a day.

As for contractors for installs, try calling Miller Grass (local sod farm) and see who they recommend and what the pricing is like.
I personally haven't bought anything from Miller Grass but have heard good things about them from a lawn enthusiast forum.
How to plant fresh sod in North Texas | Miller Grass

When the contractor is out, I'd also have him/her look at the shade situation and recommendation for grass varities. The last thing you want to do is spend thousands on re-sodding and only to have it slowly die out a year later because the grass is not getting enough light.

Here's a good document explaining some finer points of growing grass in the shade.
http://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-6140.pdf
I know the shade situation makes things tricky but I have neighbors with thriving zoysia lawns in almost full shade, so I guess it's possible...

I plan to install ground cover around the trees too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top