U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:57 AM

30 posts, read 33,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Or Lower Greenville which is right down the street, but that crowd tends to be younger (SMU students) mixed with a younger rough & tumble crowd. Uptown is more "glossy."
I've heard that Dallas folks like to show off their money and glitz and glam .. i.e. a smaller hollywood in some areas? That's definitely not my thing. I do like nice things, and going to nice places sometimes, but I'm very down to earth and love quaint cafes and laid back bars as opposed to places that I need to wear stripper heels all the time. So if this is the Uptown scene, and these are the type of people I might find there, it's probably not going to be a place I enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:20 AM

4,740 posts, read 2,643,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesGirl View Post
I've heard that Dallas folks like to show off their money and glitz and glam .. i.e. a smaller hollywood in some areas? That's definitely not my thing. I do like nice things, and going to nice places sometimes, but I'm very down to earth and love quaint cafes and laid back bars as opposed to places that I need to wear stripper heels all the time. So if this is the Uptown scene, and these are the type of people I might find there, it's probably not going to be a place I enjoy.
I wouldn't say that wearing heels is mandatory for a night out in Uptown. I've been out in Uptown many nights and see plenty of women not wearing heels. The Uptown scene is not uniform, and would vary from bar to bar, though I would say that Uptown would represent the "Image is Everything" slogan from this old school TV ad

(
Andre Agassi Image Is Everything, Canon (1990) - YouTube).

The "glossy" term that BigDGeek uses is a pretty good assessment of what things are.

I would say that Dallas is more LA like than like New York or Philadelphia on the East Coast.

Laid back bars can be found in all parts of the city. You can find them in both Uptown and Addison, as well as Lower Greenville and Knox Henderson.

There are ways to meet singles other than bars and online, which are probably the two worst means to meet singles. In terms of in person venues, bars offer the biggest quantity of choices, which is why most singles will at least find themselves in bars at some point as the quantity and immediacy of feedback (no incessant texting/email from dating sites/apps) is something that is difficult to replicate in other venues. But I would think that most singles find other venues to be more fruitful for something more meaningful. It all depends on what is important to you.

Quaint cafes are less likely to be found in suburbia though.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 AM

4,740 posts, read 2,643,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesGirl View Post
I tried to reply to your direct message, says I can't until tomorrow lol. I do plan on visiting before hand, yes.

I wouldn't say bars/clubs are my priority, at all. I do like going to Happy Hour on Friday after work, maybe grab a drink Saturday night .. but clubbing and staying out till 3am were my college days, definitely not now. Can't hang like that lol.

I do like fitness, but I'm not a gym rat.. I'd say being close to jogging trails is more important than being so close to bars and clubs.
The Village is probably the best option south of 635 then. So many options. 15+ complexes surround The Village and there are a few different price points.

Be aware of this when you check out The Village though (Lincoln Property is planning total redevelopment of the Village apartment community in Northeast Dallas | Dallas Morning News).

The plan outlined in that article would probably take years to come to fruition.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I wouldn't say that wearing heels is mandatory for a night out in Uptown. I've been out in Uptown many nights and see plenty of women not wearing heels. The Uptown scene is not uniform, and would vary from bar to bar, though I would say that Uptown would represent the "Image is Everything" slogan from this old school TV ad

(
Andre Agassi Image Is Everything, Canon (1990) - YouTube).

The "glossy" term that BigDGeek uses is a pretty good assessment of what things are.

I would say that Dallas is more LA like than like New York or Philadelphia on the East Coast.

Laid back bars can be found in all parts of the city. You can find them in both Uptown and Addison, as well as Lower Greenville and Knox Henderson.

There are ways to meet singles other than bars and online, which are probably the two worst means to meet singles. In terms of in person venues, bars offer the biggest quantity of choices, which is why most singles will at least find themselves in bars at some point as the quantity and immediacy of feedback (no incessant texting/email from dating sites/apps) is something that is difficult to replicate in other venues. But I would think that most singles find other venues to be more fruitful for something more meaningful. It all depends on what is important to you.

Quaint cafes are less likely to be found in suburbia though.

Thanks for this. I am hoping that I meet a decent amount of people at work, as I'm not always too impressed with bar folks. I've met a few friends that way.. but generally no. I just looked up Addison. Looks like a busy strip of strip malls with lots of restaurants. Not sure that this is anything different than every other suburb. Some apartments I did see in Addison Circle that look pretty nice. Doesn't look really walkable to anything interesting though.

I'm going to look into the Village area that some of you mentioned. I suppose no area in Dallas is going to give me that Philly/NY feel.. so looks like I'll have to brace myself for a change The lower cost of living though, is a pretty good selling point!

Old 06-01-2014, 01:18 PM

989 posts, read 1,554,197 times
FWIW, I am currently living in Addison (Circle area to be exact), though I'm a few years over you so perhaps somewhat different interests.

Post Addison apartments are comfortable, but overpriced IMO (which is why I'm not renewing my lease. It worked my first year here to learn about Dallas while being close enough to work to walk - which made it more palatable to pay too much in rent). I think your assessment of Addison is probably pretty close. It is a lot of strip malls and chain or big box stores/restaurants. That's not inherently bad, but doesn't sound quite what you're looking for. There are a few smaller restaurants/shops on the first floors of the buildings in Post, but I'm not sure that is a dealmaking argument to move here if you're seeking a larger amount of diversity. There is the park area, however, so that helps a bit.

While Addison is probably more diverse and will have more younger single people than say Frisco, I'd still classify it as suburban.

Based on what I read above, I'd probably steer you towards the Village. Uptown is just a few miles away if you want to experience that on occasion.

And, you're right...it won't be NY/Philly but what a great opportunity to try something different while saving a few bucks. Absolute worst case scenario is you decide Dallas isn't for you and you move on to something else...pretty much nothing is permanent unless you make it such...

Last edited by GBCommenter; 06-01-2014 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: grammar error

Old 06-01-2014, 01:32 PM

12,202 posts, read 23,119,026 times
You will probably hate Addison- as you figured out from google view, it is a bunch of strip centers on mega busy roads. Full of cheesy people and traveling salesmen.

I don't think you'd like the Village apartments either. It is a huge cluster of apartment complexes. - big complexes each with 100's of apartments and the requisite apartment pool scene. It's not walkable to anything unless you live in the complexes closest to Lovers Lane or Greenville. It is a nice safe affordable place south of 635 though.

My guess is that a few of the neighborhoods that will appeal to you are Lower Greenville (Greenville Ave between Mockingbird & Ross). It's an indepenent area - very few chains and almost no corporate manager apartments. Charming little area with mom & pop restaurants and cool places to hangout like the Truck Yard. There are some small apartment complexes (<30 units), duplexes, four plexes, and mostly single family houses built in the 1920-1940's (Tudor cottages, Craftsman bungalows, etc). Kind of a sucky commute to Addison (30-40 min) because cutting cross town is awful in Dallas but I do think it would fit you well!

North Oak Cliff - a gorgeous funky neighborhood southwest of downtown Dallas. Neighborhoods there range from gorgeous historic mansions (Kessler Park) to little Mexico to everything in between. Again, very anti-chain area and like lower Greenville , a little more liberal area of Dallas. The Bishop Arts District is a fun place to hang out, as is the Belmont Hotel. Nearby is the new Trinty Groves area which is home to some of Dallas' best new restaurants. Good Space is a landlord in this area that has some cool properties.

Overall, don't expect to recreate Philly in Dallas, but you certainly don't have to settle for dull life in suburbia either. Come ready to embrace Dallas and keep looking for your peeps & your hood until you find something you like!

Old 06-01-2014, 01:38 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,682,440 times
I don't think Addison is a very good fit at all. As mentioned it's pretty much just strip malls on Belt Line with bars in-between chain restaurants. Plus, Addison has a very high crime rate.

The Village is in your price range, but it's not very walkable IMO. Pretty standard cluster of older garden style apartments. Good location, but not great.

I would save yourself the disappointment and try out an inner Dallas neighborhood.

Your budget can get you a nice place near the tollway in the Design District (75207). The demographic there mostly ranges from the mid 20's to the mid 30's. It is very close to Uptown, has very good restaurants and shops, and you can easily walk to Victory park and the Katy Trail (recently featured in the New York Times). Also the design district is less than a 30 min commute to Addison, and a much more interesting part of town, your within a very close driving distance to the best neighborhoods in Dallas.

I would also check out Oak Lawn(75219) and the Medical District(75235). Both have lots of apartments near the tollway that are within your budget.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You will probably hate Addison- as you figured out from google view, it is a bunch of strip centers on mega busy roads. Full of cheesy people and traveling salesmen.

I don't think you'd like the Village apartments either. It is a huge cluster of apartment complexes. - big complexes each with 100's of apartments and the requisite apartment pool scene. It's not walkable to anything unless you live in the complexes closest to Lovers Lane or Greenville. It is a nice safe affordable place south of 635 though.

My guess is that a few of the neighborhoods that will appeal to you are Lower Greenville (Greenville Ave between Mockingbird & Ross). It's an indepenent area - very few chains and almost no corporate manager apartments. Charming little area with mom & pop restaurants and cool places to hangout like the Truck Yard. There are some small apartment complexes (<30 units), duplexes, four plexes, and mostly single family houses built in the 1920-1940's (Tudor cottages, Craftsman bungalows, etc). Kind of a sucky commute to Addison (30-40 min) because cutting cross town is awful in Dallas but I do think it would fit you well!

North Oak Cliff - a gorgeous funky neighborhood southwest of downtown Dallas. Neighborhoods there range from gorgeous historic mansions (Kessler Park) to little Mexico to everything in between. Again, very anti-chain area and like lower Greenville , a little more liberal area of Dallas. The Bishop Arts District is a fun place to hang out, as is the Belmont Hotel. Nearby is the new Trinty Groves area which is home to some of Dallas' best new restaurants. Good Space is a landlord in this area that has some cool properties.

Overall, don't expect to recreate Philly in Dallas, but you certainly don't have to settle for dull life in suburbia either. Come ready to embrace Dallas and keep looking for your peeps & your hood until you find something you like!
That REALLY sounds like my type of area, you're good! 30-40 minutes in rush hour I am assuming/hope? For a neighborhood that I love, I'd be ok with a 40 minute commute. Is it the same time frame from North Oak Cliff?

Also - both of the areas that you mention, are they both within my budget, safe areas? I could go slightly higher, but I do love to travel a lot and I like to keep $$ aside for that sort of thing. Since these areas do not have a lot of corporate managed apartments, is there a good way to see what is available?

I see what looks like a very walkable area called Katy Trail on Google - is that near either of these neighborhoods you mentioned, if not is there a neighborhood that borders it that may be an option for me? Sorry for the million questions here! Thank for your insight!

Last edited by PhilliesGirl; 06-01-2014 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
FWIW, I am currently living in Addison (Circle area to be exact), though I'm a few years over you so perhaps somewhat different interests.

Post Addison apartments are comfortable, but overpriced IMO (which is why I'm not renewing my lease. It worked my first year here to learn about Dallas while being close enough to work to walk - which made it more palatable to pay too much in rent). I think your assessment of Addison is probably pretty close. It is a lot of strip malls and chain or big box stores/restaurants. That's not inherently bad, but doesn't sound quite what you're looking for. There are a few smaller restaurants/shops on the first floors of the buildings in Post, but I'm not sure that is a dealmaking argument to move here if you're seeking a larger amount of diversity. There is the park area, however, so that helps a bit.

While Addison is probably more diverse and will have more younger single people than say Frisco, I'd still classify it as suburban.

Based on what I read above, I'd probably steer you towards the Village. Uptown is just a few miles away if you want to experience that on occasion.

And, you're right...it won't be NY/Philly but what a great opportunity to try something different while saving a few bucks. Absolute worst case scenario is you decide Dallas isn't for you and you move on to something else...pretty much nothing is permanent unless you make it such...
Where did you relocate to Dallas from?

I agree that it is a good selling point to be close to work for sure. In my current job.. I am literally down the street and walk everyday, so driving far will be an adjustment. Just not sure I'll love living in suburbia even if it means walking to work :/

Old 06-01-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I don't think Addison is a very good fit at all. As mentioned it's pretty much just strip malls on Belt Line with bars in-between chain restaurants. Plus, Addison has a very high crime rate.

The Village is in your price range, but it's not very walkable IMO. Pretty standard cluster of older garden style apartments. Good location, but not great.

I would save yourself the disappointment and try out an inner Dallas neighborhood.

Your budget can get you a nice place near the tollway in the Design District (75207). The demographic there mostly ranges from the mid 20's to the mid 30's. It is very close to Uptown, has very good restaurants and shops, and you can easily walk to Victory park and the Katy Trail (recently featured in the New York Times). Also the design district is less than a 30 min commute to Addison, and a much more interesting part of town, your within a very close driving distance to the best neighborhoods in Dallas.

I would also check out Oak Lawn(75219) and the Medical District(75235). Both have lots of apartments near the tollway that are within your budget.
Ah, I just asked about the Katy Trail This is the first time I hear about the Design District, I will look to see some apartments there. What would the commute to Addison be like? From Google Maps, looks like staying near the Dallas North Tollway is a good idea, IF I want to minimize commute time, but be in Dallas.

Oh, and I have cancelled out The Village area for my search, I am not interested in old garden style apartments that may give me popcorn ceilings :/

How is the crime rate near Oak Lawn and the Medical District?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or