U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 06:16 AM

13 posts, read 11,432 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for any help and information shared here.

My name is Alan and I've been relocated to US, from Brazil, due an internal company transferring. I get wife and two kids, a 6yod boy and 1yod girl. We decided to live in Dallas suburbs such as Frisco, Plano, Allen, etc.

We decided to move to an apartment instead a home to start a very low profile life in US, once we have no idea about which standard of life my salary will allow us to have there. The second reason why we decided to rent an apartment is that is easier to rent when you have no credit story in US.

I'm pretty concerned about how much money I can afford this time to rent an apartment. My net value, after taxes, is about $7,000.00 mo. I found some nice 03 and 04 bedrooms apartments varying from $1,500 to $2,300. I will work from home, so I must have an quiet space to setup my home office. If that values were in Brazil, I'd know if I was able to afford them. But in US, I have no idea about the real value for that monthly income

Any help here will be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Alan Cota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 AM

140 posts, read 195,881 times
$7,000/mo after taxes is sufficient to afford a decent standard of living in the DFW area. This will put you at about the median family income in many suburbs. Financial advisors typically suggest you keep your rent to under 30% of your take-home pay, which would be under $2,100 in your case.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:36 AM

Thanks @Ralyks. I've read about "American budget" where they said about 30 to 35% planned value for housing, which includes rent, maintenance, insurances and so forth. Good to know I will be able to provide great life to my family and mainly my two kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyks View Post
$7,000/mo after taxes is sufficient to afford a decent standard of living in the DFW area. This will put you at about the median family income in many suburbs. Financial advisors typically suggest you keep your rent to under 30% of your take-home pay, which would be under $2,100 in your case.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:54 AM

6,257 posts, read 13,489,487 times
7k a month leaves you quite a bit for housing. Frankly, unless you really want to live in an apt, I'd be looking for houses to rent, in an area where you might like to end up living permanently. My wife is Brazilian, from Belo Horizonte, has a lot of family there and some in Rio. If you find you're missing a taste of home, Braza Dancante in Allen/Fairview is a very good steakhouse that does everything right, and can even serve things that are not actually on the menu (call ahead and ask for what you want, they speak Portuguese as well.)

Welcome to Dallas!

Old 06-02-2014, 11:52 AM

3,402 posts, read 5,380,485 times
I'd rent a house vs an apartment. You'll get so much more space and $2100 will get you a nice place.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:22 PM

@MckinneyOwnr and @mSooner thank you so much for jumping in and help me out by giving your thoughts. I couldn't appreciate more.

The biggest problem on rent a house is my credit score, which I don't have yet. I also don't know exactly what kind of maintenance, such as garden for instance, a rented home will require. Another cons on rent a house is that most of them don't have all the appliances and I don't want to spend extra money during this life start.

Since I'm new in the country I don't want to create more stress than I've already got with all the movement . That's why I'm thinking on rent an apartment rather than a house.

Thanks guys! Any contribution to this topic is very welcome.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:56 PM

10,113 posts, read 21,343,827 times
Some rental homes include appliances. By law, they all have to include a stove/range. Many others also include the refrigerator.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:05 PM

262 posts, read 394,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alancota View Post
@MckinneyOwnr and @mSooner thank you so much for jumping in and help me out by giving your thoughts. I couldn't appreciate more.

The biggest problem on rent a house is my credit score, which I don't have yet. I also don't know exactly what kind of maintenance, such as garden for instance, a rented home will require. Another cons on rent a house is that most of them don't have all the appliances and I don't want to spend extra money during this life start.

Since I'm new in the country I don't want to create more stress than I've already got with all the movement . That's why I'm thinking on rent an apartment rather than a house.

Thanks guys! Any contribution to this topic is very welcome.
Just a thought, you should really hire a local real estate agent to help you with your search....He/She will be a lot of help with answering basic questions for renting apt vs home based on your personal needs and thus easing your anxiety of relocating from another country....I am sure you will get a lot of realtor recommendations from members if you are open to that option....

Old 06-02-2014, 01:12 PM

@ChristieP I appreciate your information.

@roseball123 thanks for the tips. Yes, that would be great! I'm totally opened to get some recommendations. I found a guy, at craiglist, who sent me some house information but at that time I fell he was kind of upset about my "stupid" questions. Guys I'm from another country and of course I will have tons of stupid questions, since I didn't born there . That kind of behavior is quite naive, cause the today's tenant is the home owner of tomorrow.

Please, fell free to get in touch and give me some recommendations about realtors. My first day is July 7th. I'm planning to leave Brazil by June 30. It would be great if I already have a house leased while I'm here in Brazil. And to do that I must have someone there who I trust.

Thanks again guys!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,198,852 times
Welcome to Texas! I hope you enjoy it.

I have some friends who relocated from South America. They found it much easier to rent an apartment due to the lack of US-based-credit and to make the move easier. They also made new friends for their children at the apartment pool and the gym. That might be easier than moving into a house where you are more separated. Of course, you are living "near" others in an apartment and I think only you can weigh what will work for your family.

Best of luck in your relocation.

(PS - be wary of Craigslist. There are a lot of scams)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas