Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 01:22 PM

263 posts, read 410,641 times

Advertisements

We are interested in a nice 1999 built brick home in a Las Colinas HOA. The property appears very well maintained. Apparently, there has been a hail-related roof replacement.

Couple of related Qs:

1/ Seller's disclosure answers to a Q reg. 'any flooding or water penetration' to the house as:
"2010 - slab leak caused by pin size hole in water line".
Elsewhere, under plumbing repairs, they say: "pinhole plumbing leak - family room".

We have a full home inspection scheduled, and also a free evaluation by a foundation repair company.

Are there any major concerns related to the above disclosure, and any additional inspections that may be warranted? As I mentioned, to a layperson, the home appears very well maintained.

2/ Does Dallas County / DCAD independently obtain square footage info about a home? The seller does not have a home survey to provide to us, but their listed square footage is the same as that shown on the DCAD website, and I am taking this to be independent verification of square footage? We will be doing our own survey a little later in the closing process.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
the listing agent usually pulls square footage from DCAD and DCAD usually has the info from when the house was built, also updated to include permitted property additions.

i wouldn't be overly concerned about a slab leak. did they file an insurance claim?

Old 06-02-2014, 05:11 PM

91 posts, read 150,982 times
I know many picky buyers loosing great properties on silly inspection issues.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
We had a slab leak under the hall in a previous house--
in order to stop it the quickest and less expensive (but not cheap) fix was to cut water to the bathroom that the leaking water line fed and run PEX from the water heater in the attic to an over head access line and reconnect--

I would ask how it was repaired because you might need to know about that in future--
we had them insulate the PEX line in the attic well because it is more susceptible to freezing than others...

Old 06-02-2014, 06:58 PM

They indicated on the SD they filed an insurance claim for roof replacement and other hail related issues - but this is not mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
the listing agent usually pulls square footage from DCAD and DCAD usually has the info from when the house was built, also updated to include permitted property additions.

i wouldn't be overly concerned about a slab leak. did they file an insurance claim?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:05 PM

I take it you mean this may only be a silly inspection (actually in this case, a SD) issue?
That is what I am hoping to hear.

I know v. little about homes, and all these home maintenance terms mostly sound a like a lot of jargon to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renu.Uner View Post
I know many picky buyers loosing great properties on silly inspection issues.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:06 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
A survey does not tell you the sqft of the house. An appraisal tells you the sqft, and even with that, it's one appraiser's measuring technique. You get 3 appraisers, and you'll get 3 numbers. No, DCAD doesn't verify anything. They go off paperwork that was submitted to them for permits. If things changed during the building, they don't have anything updated.

You, the buyer, are the "independent verify-er" on everything for a house you're going to buy. Like suggested above, you better verify how the leak was repaired for future issues that might come up. You should get the receipt so you have the company's information.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:14 PM

Thanks - will definitely ask them for that info.

In the overall scheme of things, is this (slab leak) a trivial, minor or even potentially a major issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
A survey does not tell you the sqft of the house. An appraisal tells you the sqft, and even with that, it's one appraiser's measuring technique. You get 3 appraisers, and you'll get 3 numbers. No, DCAD doesn't verify anything. They go off paperwork that was submitted to them for permits. If things changed during the building, they don't have anything updated.

You, the buyer, are the "independent verify-er" on everything for a house you're going to buy. Like suggested above, you better verify how the leak was repaired for future issues that might come up. You should get the receipt so you have the company's information.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:18 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
In the overall scheme of things, is this (slab leak) a trivial, minor or even potentially a major issue?
It's trivial. They had a small leak 4 years ago and had it repaired. It's not leaked since and probably will not.

Keep in mind we don't sell houses by the footage. As long as it appraises for sales price or higher is what matters.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:41 PM

That is great to know - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's trivial. They had a small leak 4 years ago and had it repaired. It's not leaked since and probably will not.

Keep in mind we don't sell houses by the footage. As long as it appraises for sales price or higher is what matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: