Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 01:50 PM

8 posts, read 35,485 times

Advertisements

I'm in an apartment complex in Plano where each building has its own huge hot water tank. We've measured the hot water coming out of the kitchen sink at 165*. Is this even legal? If you absentmindedly turn on the hot water with no cold to balance it and go to wash a dish or your hands you get burned.

Also the bathroom shower faucet is just one knob that controls the flow, the hot water, and the cold water. The only problem is that they reversed the hot and cold so that you have to turn the water almost off to get warm water, but then you have no pressure. And even then it fluctuates randomly throughout the shower going from warm to cold, and then if you turn it warmer its okay for 2 minutes then it will get scalding so you have to turn it back down. And the cheap plastic knobs give me blisters from trying to grip and turn the thing so often while the shower is going. Is this something that they've done on purpose or is it worth asking them to fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 03:03 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Hot water at 165 is definitely dangerous. It's not supposed to be more than 130. I would definitely ask your complex to come adjust the thermostat on your hot water heater.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:54 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIM_Darling View Post
I'm in an apartment complex in Plano where each building has its own huge hot water tank. We've measured the hot water coming out of the kitchen sink at 165*. Is this even legal? If you absentmindedly turn on the hot water with no cold to balance it and go to wash a dish or your hands you get burned.

Also the bathroom shower faucet is just one knob that controls the flow, the hot water, and the cold water. The only problem is that they reversed the hot and cold so that you have to turn the water almost off to get warm water, but then you have no pressure. And even then it fluctuates randomly throughout the shower going from warm to cold, and then if you turn it warmer its okay for 2 minutes then it will get scalding so you have to turn it back down. And the cheap plastic knobs give me blisters from trying to grip and turn the thing so often while the shower is going. Is this something that they've done on purpose or is it worth asking them to fix?
1. To be clear to you have a big water heater in your apartment unit that you can access? Or is there a very large water heater that serves several units that you cannot access?

2. 165F is WAY too hot. Water at that temperature can cause a 3rd degree burn in about 1 second.

3. Call apartment staff at 8:00 AM in the morning and demand that they turn the water down to about 120/125F.

4. Have them fix your shower fixture's hot and cold reversal as well.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:31 AM

8 posts, read 35,485 times
Its a large water heater that serves the whole building and we have no access to it. From what I can tell by law they are required to have some sort of anti-scald device installed that prevents the water coming out of the faucets from being more than 120*. Obviously they do not. When you turn the water almost off in the shower its close to if not the exact same temperature as the sink(I haven't taken the thermometer in there to check though.
I will definitely be contacting the office about it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: