Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:28 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times

Advertisements

There's a gigantic H-E-B in Burleson. It's not like DFW residents have to travel a vast distance to find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 06:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
There's a gigantic H-E-B in Burleson. It's not like DFW residents have to travel a vast distance to find one.
Yeah, because Richardson to Burleson is a reasonable distance to drive to go grocery shopping.

It's 58 miles from my house. Uhhhh no.

There's also one in Waxahachie that's only 40 miles away. Let's go!

Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
I think it's because the grocery market in DFW has so much competition, Walmart and Kroger dominate the market. HEB would have to put up a good fight to compete against these retailers. Since Albertsons and Safeway (which owns Tom Thumb) merged, it gave Albertsons an even larger presence in North Texas. So, now they have to compete against Albertsons aswell.....

BTW Kroger and Walmart are adding even more stores in North Texas.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I think it's because the grocery market in DFW has so much competition, Walmart and Kroger dominate the market. HEB would have to put up a good fight to compete against those retailers. Since Albertsons and Safeway (which owns Tom Thumb) merged, it gave Albertsons an even larger presence in North Texas. BTW Kroger and Walmart are both expanding in the North Texas market....
Kroger is a great store. I shop there regularly, even though mine needs a facelift and some people think it's "ghetto." It's the Belt Line/Coit location in Richardson. I like it just fine. It's not as fancy as some of the newer ones, but...eh. It doesn't have to be fancy. It's good enough. If they wanted to make it more fancy, I'd be OK with that.

Wal-Mart is amazing for frozen food but stinks for a lot of other things. It'd be nice if there really was one store where I could buy everything on my list, but so far that doesn't exist. I doubt HEB would manage it. But I'd welcome one in Richardson anyway. More competition = win for us consumers.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:02 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
Wait, haven't we figured out that all of Richardson is ghetto, just like East Plano which is dragging down West Plano?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
Tom Thumb pulling out with the Albertson's acquisition? Aww no! I wonder if Randall's will do the same in Houston. Our Safeway brand out here is Von's/Pavillion's and some are located right near Albertson's so there is talk of what this buyout will mean for those. We already have a severe lack of competition in the grocery market in LA (Kroger's is here but is called Ralphs and Walmart hasn't made much of an inroad into LA proper).

HEB could mean a major shakeup for the DFW market. They're good on price, but even better on building die-hard customer loyalty. I never go home to Houston without bringing back some coffee and other items I only found at HEB.

Howard E Butts knows what he's doing.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:40 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Tom Thumb pulling out with the Albertson's acquisition? Aww no! I wonder if Randall's will do the same in Houston. Our Safeway brand out here is Von's/Pavillion's and some are located right near Albertson's so there is talk of what this buyout will mean for those. We already have a severe lack of competition in the grocery market in LA (Kroger's is here but is called Ralphs and Walmart hasn't made much of an inroad into LA proper).

HEB could mean a major shakeup for the DFW market. They're good on price, but even better on building die-hard customer loyalty. I never go home to Houston without bringing back some coffee and other items I only found at HEB.

Howard E Butts knows what he's doing.
Tom Thumb's name isn't changing....just the ownership. None of the Safeway brands will change names.

If a Safeway branded store is near a Albertsons store....one of those stores will close.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastrian2 View Post
"News" to add to the fodder. Article from 5/22/14:

"The Supermarket News story notes that Albertsons could sell out once the merger closes, and quotes an anonymous insider who believes “San Antonio-based HEB could be interested in expanding further in the market, and that Cerberus [the firm that owns Albertsons] could be interested in exiting the market once the deal closes.”

See the full article at: Will HEB, Market Street replace Albertsons, Tom Thumb? » Lake Highlands

There are a lot of moving parts with Tom Thumb/Albertsons merger.

Even if HEB doesn't deal with Cerebrus, they would want to see who buys them out. HEB could do a smaller side deal with the new owners for some locations in their plans, if they don't want all the store locations. That's a lot of real estate in play, until the merger is complete.

Last edited by move4ward; 06-03-2014 at 08:34 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Good; I wouldn't miss Tom Thumb.
Me either! Give me Kroger any day over Tom Thumb. Would love to see a true HEB store since I'm fond of that brand at Central Market.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:30 PM

290 posts, read 387,937 times
Back in DC there is Safeway all over the place, never really cared for it myself, never thought the deals were that great and their produced wasn't anything to rave about. I like the Kroger in Frisco where my aunt lives and I go there if I'm up that way. The Kroger closest to me is a Signature store (not from here, so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that supposed to their nicer stores or something?) - and its on Belt Line and Marsh.. very ghetto in my opinion. I avoid going there, same thing with the Target next door to it.
I go to the Walmart on Belt Line and Montfort now for frozen things and toiletries, water,etc.. then across the street to Whole Foods for a few things I love there, and finally to Sprouts to get fruits/veggies. Haven't found a place I love for meat - any suggestions? I'm at across the street from the Galleria.

I might drive down to HEB this weekend......I have to see what all the hype is about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas