U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 04:01 PM

262 posts, read 394,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renu.Uner View Post
Allen commute +Pulte build+ Allen Schools + Service center neighborhood for nearly $500k? YMMV but I don't get it.
I would agree with the Pulte build + Service Center and $500k part.....Though I like the build quality of my home, if I was buying a 500k home, I wouldn't have considered Pulte for sure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 08:30 PM

170 posts, read 202,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseball123 View Post
I live in a Pulte home in Waterford Parks which is right next to the community (Landings) you are looking into. Pulte builds nice/quality homes in their higher end series. They also have a good warranty customer service from my experience. If you like their floor plans as it is, good for you....What I don't like about them is that they don't make any changes at all to the floor plans no matter how minor they are.....When spending half a million, I would want to make atleast some minor adjustments to suite my personal needs....This was 3 years ago so maybe they allow changes now.....Also, make sure you are involved in the construction process (keep checking progress every week) and highly recommend hiring an engineer for slab inspection (pre/post pour) and an inspector for staged inspections (pre-drywall at the minimum) through out the building process.....This applies to all new home buyers regardless of the builder....Also, good that none of the current Pulte lots are close to the Allen ISD's service center..:-)....You don't want your backyard sharing the service center's boundary....
Thanks for the information. Yes, this lot is far away from the community center and not very close to Stacy. I will hire the inspection engineer.

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:39 PM

170 posts, read 202,966 times
Quote:
Allen commute +Pulte build+ Allen Schools + Service center neighborhood for nearly $500k? YMMV but I don't get it.
My budget was around 400K initially. I was keep on searching and the prices increased rapidly. Due to my restrictions on lot facing and no extensions to the lot, house facing and so many other restriction inside the house, I don't have any other communities left in allen. Starcreek, cumberland, Ridgeview etc were ruled out and landings only matching for my restrictions. Most of the Frisco new constructions with medium builders are around 500+ and good builders is 600+ for my requirement. Prices are keep on increasing and not getting the required lots. Now after reading your posts, for pulte this might be a more budget, but the house that I am getting is having all the things that I required. Need to see how it will be in future

Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 PM

4,153 posts, read 13,731,501 times
When pulte purchased Centex, they got rid of the Fox and Jacobs name. So what you see Centex today is what used to be F&J. What you see as Pulte is a combination of what used to be Centex and Pulte. A "meh" product IMO for anywhere close to 500K.

Glad you walked from the G home, it could be a blessing in disguise at times.

There is a new community in Frisco that just opened up that has lots east and north facing (if those are the directions are you're looking at) and in your price range. Have your Realtor check into it.

Naima

Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,182,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseball123 View Post
I live in a Pulte home in Waterford Parks which is right next to the community (Landings) you are looking into. Pulte builds nice/quality homes in their higher end series. They also have a good warranty customer service from my experience. If you like their floor plans as it is, good for you....What I don't like about them is that they don't make any changes at all to the floor plans no matter how minor they are.....When spending half a million, I would want to make atleast some minor adjustments to suite my personal needs....This was 3 years ago so maybe they allow changes now.....Also, make sure you are involved in the construction process (keep checking progress every week) and highly recommend hiring an engineer for slab inspection (pre/post pour) and an inspector for staged inspections (pre-drywall at the minimum) through out the building process.....This applies to all new home buyers regardless of the builder....Also, good that none of the current Pulte lots are close to the Allen ISD's service center..:-)....You don't want your backyard sharing the service center's boundary....
Many builders even at higher price ranges dont make any structural changes. It keeps costs and problems way down. I sold for a custom builder years ago. Let me say,90% of the people that made changes to the plans, didnt like how they turned out. The average joe is not a architect. Things that look good on a piece of paper dont always look good once built. NOT to mention, the price between a true custom builder and pulte in the same area will be a big difference.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 AM

262 posts, read 394,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
Many builders even at higher price ranges dont make any structural changes. It keeps costs and problems way down. I sold for a custom builder years ago. Let me say,90% of the people that made changes to the plans, didnt like how they turned out. The average joe is not a architect. Things that look good on a piece of paper dont always look good once built. NOT to mention, the price between a true custom builder and pulte in the same area will be a big difference.
I was referring to minor changes, not structural changes which btw are not minor. They even wouldn't expand an interior closet, for example, even if there is empty space behind the wall. Its not worth it to spend money after closing to get that type of work done....

Old 06-05-2014, 02:36 PM

954 posts, read 1,533,532 times
Quote:
Yes. Gripewater we know you will never get it so if you don't have anything to add to a discussion then stay away from it.

@OP - Few people I know built with Pulte. As with any builder, stay on top of the "construction manager" you will be assigned. Be prepared with questions for your first construction meeting. Be prepared to hold back on 'add-on" you will be recommended or will itch to do during your design meeting. Ask yourself whether any add-on will really make your life that better (for example, granite level 5 over 3, etc?) You can get most cosmetic stuff done later on if you go with the default. Also, hire a structural engineer for pre- and post-pour. Get a regular inspector for mid-period (HVAC, electrical, duct work, etc.) and for full closing inspection. If you do all this and keep communicating (nicely) to your construction manager, you will be alright.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 PM

236 posts, read 418,703 times
As Frenzyrider said, staying on top of your superintendent and watchng the build closely yourself is the best answer.

The truth is that the same illegals that are laboring on the low end jobs are the same ones doing the high end custom builders.

The trade I work for is one of the two largest of its kind in DFW. In ten years of working directly with builders, there is one thing I've learned and that is that I'd never build a new house. I'd buy existing homes exclusively.
The way builders lie, cut corners, and talk about and behind customers backs ranks them with used car dealers to me.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:39 PM

91 posts, read 126,539 times
Resale of a $500k Pulte build in DFW can be tough, regardless of the quality of communication between you and your construction supervisor but if lot is more important to you vs location, builder, school, commute, resale etc etc then of course its the most important thing. I recommend getting an experienced realtor/negotiator (e.g. Naima or Rankin) and a home inspector who can oversee construction quality.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:03 AM

4,153 posts, read 13,731,501 times
They will frown big time when you get your own inspector but don't let them intimidate you. They'll throw things at you like, there are several inspections through the city, they may use an independent company plus our QA dept. pfffff...

Right now is a very difficult market for building because of shortage of trade people. Whatever time they quoted you, add about 4-6 weeks to that timeline.

Document as much as possible through video the progress and what's behind the walls. You will not be privy to the blueprints. This comes in handy later if you wanted to add anything, drop a cable somewhere, hang something heavy etc.

Many more suggestions, I'll add as I remember when my mind is clearer, right now, it's 3am and I need to get some zzzzs. Night Ya'll

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas