U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 03:25 PM

170 posts, read 202,889 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your suggestions. One member sent me the inspection engineer details and I will be contacting him. I really appreciate all your suggestions. city-data forum is the best forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renu.Uner View Post
Resale of a $500k Pulte build in DFW can be tough, regardless of the quality of communication between you and your construction supervisor but if lot is more important to you vs location, builder, school, commute, resale etc etc then of course its the most important thing. I recommend getting an experienced realtor/negotiator (e.g. Naima or Rankin) and a home inspector who can oversee construction quality.
Mine is not exactly 500k, before design center it is 471k and I almost added every thing that I might add in design center(levels of upgrades). I completed my 1st design center meeting and I didn't have more than 5k upgrades additionally. After closing I have another 5k cost as I need to extend my patio or nook to make sure it is at the same level as the other side(some vastu restriction) and need to see if that passes HOA. So its closly 480k. As you said, it is difficult to sell 500k house in that area, but I was looking for the house from past 1.5 years and the prices are really going up and a house in starcreek went to pending in 5 days which is 2009 built and that was listed for 469k. Ofcourse that builder is highland and mine is pulte. I hope I won't sell my house in next 5 to 7 years and if people are keep on moving to dallas, prices may be around 460 to 480k for my sq ft(4240) house. I am prepared for a 20 to 30k loss. I will see how wrong I am after few years

Old 06-06-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Yes. Gripewater we know you will never get it so if you don't have anything to add to a discussion then stay away from it.

@OP - Few people I know built with Pulte. As with any builder, stay on top of the "construction manager" you will be assigned. Be prepared with questions for your first construction meeting. Be prepared to hold back on 'add-on" you will be recommended or will itch to do during your design meeting. Ask yourself whether any add-on will really make your life that better (for example, granite level 5 over 3, etc?) You can get most cosmetic stuff done later on if you go with the default. Also, hire a structural engineer for pre- and post-pour. Get a regular inspector for mid-period (HVAC, electrical, duct work, etc.) and for full closing inspection. If you do all this and keep communicating (nicely) to your construction manager, you will be alright.
Sure. Thanks for all the detailed information. I really don't know all these and will do more research and ask our friend google.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:16 AM

216 posts, read 502,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestUser1 View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. One member sent me the inspection engineer details and I will be contacting him. I really appreciate all your suggestions. city-data forum is the best forum.
Could you send me that info as well? I am about to begin a new build as well, and find this information quite useful. About how much should I expect to spend for having an engineer come out during these various phases? Thanks!

Old 06-07-2014, 08:15 PM

262 posts, read 394,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasmu View Post
Could you send me that info as well? I am about to begin a new build as well, and find this information quite useful. About how much should I expect to spend for having an engineer come out during these various phases? Thanks!

You only need the engineer for pre/post foundation pour. All other inspections can be done by a licensed home inspector.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 PM

294 posts, read 181,985 times
I agree with the posts recommending a custom quality home builder rather than a mass builder. That is if it is going to be a home you want to stay in for many years. With a budget of $500,000 that should be possible although in the mass build burbs that might be more of a issue finding a nice lot. Inside 635 where there are not as many mass builds more custom builders can be found but lot prices inside the loop are more of a challenge. I currently own property next to an unnamed mass builder where they had to work with me with some trees and other adjoining property issues. I was very surprised how nice and easy they were to deal with. However in watching the build I kept noticing new and different crews from one build to the next in areas like framing, plumbing, brick and stucco work. When I visited with one framer they said they use whoever they can get at their price they want to pay which in this market is harder and harder to do. I would strongly recommend to see insurance certificates from subs dealing with the framing, roofing, electrical and exterior walls whether brick stucco or wood. Good independent custom builders use the same subs over and over and you have a better chance of having a house built without "issues" after the build.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:41 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,818,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseball123 View Post
You only need the engineer for pre/post foundation pour. All other inspections can be done by a licensed home inspector.
Um, no. A home inspector license is about a month of someone's time at best and they know that a good report may get them much more work from the volume builder/agent than any one off buyer.

Get an industry specific contractor to perform an inspection on the major systems (foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing, HVAC) and let the home inspector tell you what needs to be caulked at the end.

The builder can wrinkle their nose all they want. Don't forget that this is your money and they work for you.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,363,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Um, no. A home inspector license is about a month of someone's time at best and they know that a good report may get them much more work from the volume builder/agent than any one off buyer.

Get an industry specific contractor to perform an inspection on the major systems (foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing, HVAC) and let the home inspector tell you what needs to be caulked at the end.

The builder can wrinkle their nose all they want. Don't forget that this is your money and they work for you.
Sounds like you had a bad experience with a Home Inspector? Would you like to share this with others?

Old 09-05-2014, 02:44 PM

155 posts, read 594,790 times
I built and am currently living in a Pulte home (cheaper side, was $170k 12 years ago) and I thought the experience was ok. I felt Pulte was hard to get ahold of post move-in, but they did come out and respray the ceiling that had a crack.

I will say I like the layout of our current home, but I will also state, at least 12 years ago, they weren't very picky on how they poured the slab and many people in my neighborhood are having foundation issues, just outside the 10 year warranty. We had cracks in many places that had to be repaired, but 3 houses down, had to have foundation repair due to the slab having a huge crack that was 2 inches higher on one side.

Definitely have the foundation inspected, but in 12 years I am sure improvements have been made. Also be very picky on the final walk thru. Don't let some "minor" thing slide because it's not that big of a deal. You are paying for it to be right, get it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas