U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 7,287 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving out to Dallas in a few months- he has a job opportunity to work on a ranch southwest of Kemp, TX near Gun Barrel City. I will work somewhere in Dallas- possibly at Copart (North Dallas- 14185 Dallas Pkwy Ste 300) or possibly try to find a job elsewhere in Dallas.

We are looking for a place to live somewhere in between Kemp and Dallas. What are the best places to live in that area? We don't need nightlife or anything- just a nice, safe area, good to start a family. Also... how is the traffic getting from that side of Dallas to North Dallas during commuter hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 09:56 AM

8 posts, read 20,502 times
Greetings, I am a native of Dallas. I would suggest moving to Terrell, Kaufman and Crandall I have family there and these are small cities but have basic and a few national chain stores, quiet and such but Kaufman and Terrell has been growing because alot of people commute to and from Dallas. I know 175 highway is no where near the congestion you will face once you arrive in Dallas on a daily trip. I will tell you this your job location is off of Spring Valley Road you will have to take the toll road and during rush hours it is horrible, although there are other ways you can get to work but during certain times of the day you still will run into traffic. Honestly North side of Dallas traffic sucks so bad.
I would have to admit when I saw your post and you state South Dallas I chuckled because South Dallas in terms here is the poverty stricken area and I will leave at that. I hope that helps.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 AM

12,195 posts, read 23,105,871 times
It is going to be easier for both of you if you live in Dallas and your husband commutes about an hour to Kemp. Your office and your husband's office are probably 1.5-2 hours apart during rush hour. What is your budget - and are you buying or renting?

Honestly, you should look for another job because your commute is going to be awful. I would look no further north/ west of Dowtown or Uptown Dallas for employment. Then you could live in Sunnyvale / Heath / Rockwall and both have about a 45 minute commute.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:39 PM

10,112 posts, read 21,338,084 times
I agree with TC80 that your commute from Kemp to north Dallas will be about 2 hours in rush hour traffic, AND you should look for another job. That's just too long of a drive to be feasible on a daily basis.

Kemp is located on US 175, so you will want to look at living in a community with easy access to that highway: Mesquite, Forney, and Crandall. Avoid Seagoville, Balch Springs, and anything on the southeast side of Dallas that is within the 635/I20 loop, as those areas are very high crime and have horrible schools. Living in Sunnyvale or Rockwall will mean the majority of your husband's commute will be on 2-lane roads. It's do-able, but it will take forever due to the amount of cars on those roads, and getting stuck behind school buses making stops! Also, Sunnyvale and Rockwall can be very expensive places to live. The areas I mentioned are much more affordable.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:53 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,895,281 times
I head north from Oak Cliff around 4-5 p.m. on Fridays. Going that way on I-35 and then the DNT is not good but the traffic I see going the other way is god-awful. Get a new job.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:14 AM

164 posts, read 197,106 times
The advice you've gotten thus far is good. Mesquite, Forney, and Crandall would be good bets for affordability, safety, and schools. Agree completely to avoid Seagoville, Balch Springs, or SE Dallas (Pleasant Grove, Kleburg).

If you work at Copart currently and want to stay in that business, there is an IAA located on Mars Rd right off I-45 in Wilmer. It would be about a thousand times easier on your commute than North Dallas if you end up in one of the recommended towns. Failing that, there's also a Copart and an IAA in Grand Prairie which would probably be a little bit easier than the Tollway.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the information! I've gathered that "South Dallas" isn't the best term. We've been looking at Crandall, and it looks like I'd be taking 635 all the way to N Dallas. How's the commuter traffic on that as opposed to 175?

I'm also looking at a job in central Dallas, 1618 Main St. Dallas, TX 75201. Is the traffic better to that area or to the North?

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2014, 10:40 AM

10,112 posts, read 21,338,084 times
Traffic on 635 is much heavier than traffic on 175. If you took a job in downtown Dallas, you would be very smart to take 175 into downtown, and you would also be smart to take the job in downtown instead of in North Dallas. Traffic to downtown is heavy, but it is nothing compared with traffic to north Dallas. Plus, 635 is undergoing a total reconstruction right now, and it is a complete mess. IIRC, that won't be done for another 2 years...

Old 06-07-2014, 10:43 AM

12,195 posts, read 23,105,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb2013 View Post
Thanks for the information! I've gathered that "South Dallas" isn't the best term. We've been looking at Crandall, and it looks like I'd be taking 635 all the way to N Dallas. How's the commuter traffic on that as opposed to 175?

I'm also looking at a job in central Dallas, 1618 Main St. Dallas, TX 75201. Is the traffic better to that area or to the North?

Thanks!
Downtown (central Dallas) is a MUCH better commute than to the north Dallas office. From Crandall to the Dallas Galleria area (off the Tollroad), you'd take 635 which is THE WORST highway in Dallas. It's currently in the middle of a 5-year construction project to make it double decker between 75 and 35. The first 25 miles of a commute from Crandall would probably take 30 minutes. The last 8 miles would take another 30+ minutes because they are in the construction & back-up zone.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:56 PM

Would it be better to live in the Lancaster/ferris area then and commute to downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or