Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 02:20 PM

447 posts, read 321,850 times

Advertisements

Today I took the fifth time of the test and still the result is 'no'. I still need more practice according to the examiner. On one stop sign I stopped first time for the law, but it is curvy and I had to move a bit forward to view the whole street so I need to stop for the second time and then a car is passing by so I stopped the third time, which in her eyes are 'unnecessary'.

I do miss the test I had in another country where they do it in a computer way. Human beings are moody and subjective. Sometimes I do get the feeling that they are making effort to fail you instead of passing you. Whether you can pass deeply depends on who you meet and if he/she is happy at that time.

The driving limit is 30 and I drove at 24-26, and if the driving limit is 35 I will drive at 30 and 35 for the limit of 40, which in her eyes is 'too slow'. I do it because it is a test and I need to control not to drive over the limit.

The most silly part of the TX driving rule is , if you fail the third time you need to take the written exam again.

And the staff even do not know their job. They made a big mistake which costs me another 30 minutes. The whole experience really makes me speechless! You can never find another unhelpful public sector service as this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 02:36 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,407,747 times
I would side with your examiner. Stopping 3 separate times at a stop sign is a good way to get rear ended around here. same goes for the speed. drive the posted limit during the test and you can drive slower in the far right lane as much as you want after you pass the test.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
I would side with your examiner. Stopping 3 separate times at a stop sign is a good way to get rear ended around here. same goes for the speed. drive the posted limit during the test and you can drive slower in the far right lane as much as you want after you pass the test.
This. Meek drivers who aren't confident/assertive can be very aggravating in traffic, and they can create dangerous obstructions as people try desperately to get around them.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:07 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,804,442 times
Driving 24 in a 30 or driving 30 in a 40 will definitely cause you to get into accidents. The number 1 cause of accidents is sloe drivers. People think it's fast drivers, but it's actually slow drivers not driving with the flow of traffic and accidents are caused with people trying to get around them, but they drive unpredictably, and BAM!

You are not driving with confidence, and I wouldn't want you on the streets either. Practice, A LOT, and take the test again. And just remember, 16 year olds are passing this test on the first try. How old are you?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Stop the first time for the law and the second time to view the street is what I got from someone who failed the test by not doing so!

I would not drive so slow during daily life but during the test I have to give myself enough time to obey the examiner's order. I normally drive to the speed limit BUT never OVER IT.

I do feel driving in TX is horrible as people over speed too much.

when I was doing the written test there was a question. If the traffic's speed is 60 while the speed limit is 55, which one do you follow. The right answer is 55.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Driving 24 in a 30 or driving 30 in a 40 will definitely cause you to get into accidents. The number 1 cause of accidents is sloe drivers. People think it's fast drivers, but it's actually slow drivers not driving with the flow of traffic and accidents are caused with people trying to get around them, but they drive unpredictably, and BAM!

You are not driving with confidence, and I wouldn't want you on the streets either. Practice, A LOT, and take the test again. And just remember, 16 year olds are passing this test on the first try. How old are you?
Your last sentence is so aggressive. Have you ever been educated how to communicate with people decently when you were 16?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post
Stop the first time for the law and the second time to view the street is what I got from someone who failed the test by not doing so!

I would not drive so slow during daily life but during the test I have to give myself enough time to obey the examiner's order. I normally drive to the speed limit BUT never OVER IT.

I do feel driving in TX is horrible as people over speed too much.

when I was doing the written test there was a question. If the traffic's speed is 60 while the speed limit is 55, which one do you follow. The right answer is 55.
That is all good and fine but to be honest if someone was to stop and go 3 times at a stop sign in front of me, it would be extremely aggravating. Some people are good at certain things and not so good at others. Maybe driving is something you struggle with. No reason to give up, I think you're learning some valuable info on the failed test that may help you in real world situations.

For your actual test, try as hard as you can to go with the flow of traffic. I hardly even pay attention to speed limit signs anymore unless I'm all by myself. I usually just go with the flow.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
That is all good and fine but to be honest if someone was to stop and go 3 times at a stop sign in front of me, it would be extremely aggravating. Some people are good at certain things and not so good at others. Maybe driving is something you struggle with. No reason to give up, I think you're learning some valuable info on the failed test that may help you in real world situations.

For your actual test, try as hard as you can to go with the flow of traffic. I hardly even pay attention to speed limit signs anymore unless I'm all by myself. I usually just go with the flow.
Thanks for the kind reply. I still think it is too subjective. I had a friend who stopped in the middle of the road for a yellow light and touched the curve but she passed.

I do have the feeling that it has a lot to do with whom you are with during the test and if she is happy at the moment.

I might need to try another office. I have been driving with a driving school instructor for 40 hours. He just could not figure out what is wrong.

I failed two times because of over speeding by 1 mile. That is why this time I drive slowly enough. My husband got into wrong lane( due to his UK driving habit) but he is a good talker and the examiner laughed but passed him.

The most unreasonable part is you need to take written test again if you fail the third time.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:41 AM

504 posts, read 800,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post
Thanks for the kind reply. I still think it is too subjective. I had a friend who stopped in the middle of the road for a yellow light and touched the curve but she passed.

I do have the feeling that it has a lot to do with whom you are with during the test and if she is happy at the moment.

I might need to try another office. I have been driving with a driving school instructor for 40 hours. He just could not figure out what is wrong.

I failed two times because of over speeding by 1 mile. That is why this time I drive slowly enough. My husband got into wrong lane( due to his UK driving habit) but he is a good talker and the examiner laughed but passed him.

The most unreasonable part is you need to take written test again if you fail the third time.
There is no reason to get defensive. You just need more practice, that's all. BTW Texas driving test is a breeze as compared to some other states or some European countries. They don't make you parallel park, do 3 point turns, reverse park etc. etc.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:57 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
I think you are being entirely too defensive. You 'feel' that you should have passed. Five instructors didn't think you should. That tells you something. While you were being cautious at the stop sign, there is such a thing as overly cautious which can cause accidents. Just keep practicing with your permit. You will get your license before you know it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: