Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 PM

91 posts, read 150,970 times

Advertisements

Plastic plants and mulch are part of Plano woman's water-saving plan | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
I like it. Tons of money up front though.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:07 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,439,200 times
Default Water woes-an answer: go artificial

Woman in Plano decided to eliminate most of her live landscaping. She removed her grass, installed mulch. Front yard has some live bushes, artificial flowers. Rear yard is AstroTurf. No more lawn watering. But I don't think she has a dog.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:23 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
One house on our street has these. IMHO, it's tacky.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Woman in Plano decided to eliminate most of her live landscaping. She removed her grass, installed mulch. Front yard has some live bushes, artificial flowers. Rear yard is AstroTurf. No more lawn watering. But I don't think she has a dog.
Astroturf sound great until it gets hot outside. That stuff is miserable in the heat.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:33 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times
I got used to rock/xeriscaping yards in NM, and you couldn't pay me any amount of money to go back to a full-sized typical lawn like I had in Midland--mow, water, fertilize, et al........

Since Midland is now apparently on stage 4 water restrictions, it only makes sense to find some other alternative.

I didn't realize that the DFW area was having many of the same problems. There are other options besides plastic flowers, LOL!

Old 06-05-2014, 08:34 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Wonder what that will do to the foundation requiring a certain amount of moisture.

Plano soils + No water = Foundation problems ?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Wonder what that will do to the foundation requiring a certain amount of moisture.

Plano soils + No water = Foundation problems ?
That is what I was thinking/wondering. The foundation is important.

That being said, because of the rain/snow we've had, I have not turned my sprinklers on since November.
In November, we were told we could only water every other week. Well, my sprinkler system does not have a setting for that. So I just turned it off.

My grass is insanely green and lush right now and all my plants are blooming.

Looks like we are in for another storm on Sunday, so I'll keep them off for now.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:38 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,398,312 times
Instead of doing something tacky with plastic plants and astroturf, go down to the Plano Community Garden and the Texas A&M Agrilife center, and get some info and assistance with native Texas plants. We have excellent nearby resources to deal with the water problems.

Also possibly a little offtopic and I accept this is my rant, but if you don't like any plants at all and want your yard to be artificial, why buy a suburban single family home at all? The lawn is the point. They make detacted condos, patio homes, and highrise apartments and such where you don't have to maintain a lawn.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,297,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Instead of doing something tacky with plastic plants and astroturf, go down to the Plano Community Garden and the Texas A&M Agrilife center, and get some info and assistance with native Texas plants. We have excellent nearby resources to deal with the water problems.

Also possibly a little offtopic and I accept this is my rant, but if you don't like any plants at all and want your yard to be artificial, why buy a suburban single family home at all? The lawn is the point. They make detacted condos, patio homes, and highrise apartments and such where you don't have to maintain a lawn.
There are certain areas that artificial grass may make sense. For example, if you have a side yard that does not get enough light for grass, you may want to put in artificial grass (the high end stuff). it might not be as pretty as real grass, but it beats dirt and helps keep the mosquitos away. Downtown Fort Worth has little sections of fake grass. People use it for the their pets, but it actually looks nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas