U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,724 times

Advertisements

Looking to a buy a used home and the SQ footage according to the listing is 300 sq feet more than the sq footage in the county website. The listing agent mentioned the additional sq footage is from the the add on rooms (media and an extra bedroom) which were not reported to the county by the builder when the house was closed. I don't want to go into contract and find out that the area is indeed what the county website says, in which case I will loose the earnest money.

Is there an easy way to approach this??/

Thanks
Randy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 07:39 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,927,747 times
An appraiser can measure the house quickly- so they might let you do pre-execution of the contract. Alternatively, just write it in the contract- if the house does not measure the correct square footage that all earnest money will be returned.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:43 AM

3,927 posts, read 5,070,220 times
What happens is that the appraisal district will use the base plan and often never measure the new home. If the home has a change, adds a bonus room, etc, often not picked up. But at the same time, it is not unusual for builders to show stairwells, etc in living area that an appraiser does not include-not living area.

I agree with the poster above. Now, you will get some variance between the two. The variance should be less than 100 SF on a large home between builder plan and appraiser.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:13 AM

35,455 posts, read 38,856,338 times
The agent should have some Proof of the footage they are using in the MLS. Get him to provide you that documentation.

A sellers word is not good enough and very dangerous for us to use.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:25 PM

4,153 posts, read 13,737,218 times
The seller should have a sketch from when he purchased the home prepaid by the appraiser with the measurements. Just ask for that.

Naima

Old 06-06-2014, 07:49 PM

2,676 posts, read 3,841,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC1 View Post
Looking to a buy a used home and the SQ footage according to the listing is 300 sq feet more than the sq footage in the county website. The listing agent mentioned the additional sq footage is from the the add on rooms (media and an extra bedroom) which were not reported to the county by the builder when the house was closed. I don't want to go into contract and find out that the area is indeed what the county website says, in which case I will loose the earnest money.

Is there an easy way to approach this??/

Thanks
Randy
Does it really matter? If you liked the house well enough to put an offer in does 300 sq ft make a difference?

Many times county plans go off blueprints or proposed plans- so chimneys, mudrooms and other things may actually not be present but listed by the county.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:53 AM

31,722 posts, read 49,206,582 times
Just be aware that the Appraisal District has info to new closings now so it will be aware of the increase sq ft and your purchase price--
like have a tax increase over what the current seller is paying next year

It wouldn't surprise me if the builder did enclose that space w/o declaring it on to city planning
what you need to watch out for is someone NOT the builder doing that same work so the electrical and other items might not be to code...that is dangerous

Old 06-09-2014, 01:13 AM

45 posts, read 58,005 times
This happens from time to time. They either used the builder's plan and didn't realize optional rooms were added, or the work was done after closing. There are builders that will purposely leave unfinished rooms so that the buyer has the option have them finished out and not pay taxes on the full square footage.

If you like the house, have your appraisal done during the option period, or go in with your agent for a longer showing an take the time to measure each room before making your offer (if it's not in one of the areas where it will be gone tomorrow!). That way you can still terminate if the square footage difference is really enough to make you not want to buy the house. Most people aren't buying strictly for the square feet, but many other factors- layout, location, features, etc. Like another said, if you like the house that much, does the difference in recorded square feet matter to you? Would you still want the home if it were 300 less?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,927,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyToFrisco View Post
Like another said, if you like the house that much, does the difference in recorded square feet matter to you? Would you still want the home if it were 300 less?
If the price is $150.00 to $200.00 per foot, 300 square feet can make a financial difference when you try to sell your house. At my last house I turned a screened in porch about this size into another bedroom. The project probably cost $30,000 (we added a bathroom too), but at $250.00 a foot it make good financial sense.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:09 PM

2,676 posts, read 3,841,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
If the price is $150.00 to $200.00 per foot, 300 square feet can make a financial difference when you try to sell your house. At my last house I turned a screened in porch about this size into another bedroom. The project probably cost $30,000 (we added a bathroom too), but at $250.00 a foot it make good financial sense.
I think an extra bedroom and bath would make more of a difference than 300 feet of space that's hard to pin down. I'm all with you if the missing 300 sq ft of space belongs to a powder room or some other feature (like planned but not built walk-in closet) that's not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or