U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:52 PM

248 posts, read 1,421,410 times

Advertisements

Hi looking to take my 7 and 2yr old boys and wifey to San Antonio for a mini vacation next week. Was planning on stopping at schillerbaun water park for a day. Then pass by seaworld for a day or 2. Plus pass by the river walk as well. Just looking to see if anyone has any good tips before we head out that way next week that May be helpful. I'd also like to know where I can find the best discount on tickets for those 2 parks? Hotels I think Priceline would be the way to go. Any other tips or suggestions would be great thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 03:24 PM

609 posts, read 838,234 times
Sea World ran a promotion where you could get a free season pass for kids under 5, but you had to register by the end of May. I highly recommend getting their 1 year season if you're going for more than a day. It's good for a full year from the time of purchase, not just until the end of the season like most theme parks. If you plan right, you can use it for another trip next year. Plus, that pass includes free parking and great discounts on food and drinks. If you haven't been before, you might not realize the sheer size of the park. It is massive, so pace yourself. You can take in a small soft side cooler with bottle water and I couldn't imagine not doing that. If you purchase a souvenier cup from any of their gift shops or food stands, you can have it refilled for 99 cents. We buy drinks in that and share them throughout the day. For food in the park, we like to eat at their Italian buffet. For 2 adults and 1 child, it was under $30 with the season pass discount for a buffet that I would say is better quality than your average CiCi's - all you can stand salad, pizza, pasta, desserts and drinks.

For hotels in San Antonio, the ones near Sea World and others downtown are more expensive and tend to fill up early. We've stayed out on 410 and 1604 for pretty reasonable prices around 100 a night.

For the drive down, avoid I-35 traffic in Austin by using the 130/45 toll road or take 281 through Hico, Lampassas, Marble Falls, etc.

I don't know of any good discounts for Sea World, but I'm sure there's some out there. Same for Schlitterbahn. I've never been, but I always hear it's a great park. I've always heard that you should avoid it on weekends because of the crowds and it can often be very busy during the week.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:39 PM

277 posts, read 554,378 times
Discounted Schiltterbahn tickets are sold at Kroger in the gift card section. They have 1 and 2 day passes. For Schiltterbahn, its really a 2-day type of visit because of the big 2 parks they have. Not sure on what your schedule is like, but I would rather spend the 2 days at Sea World as they have a water park and the main theme part. The only thing is its 2 separate prices. Six Flags San Antonio has the water park and amusement park for one price, so that's a better deal.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:54 PM

24,577 posts, read 34,238,838 times
I'd skip Sea World and just go to Schlitterbahn and Fiesta Texas (the Six Flags park). If you want to see ocean creatures, visit Corpus Christi or the Dallas World Aquarium.

Home - Dallas World Aquarium : Dallas World Aquarium

Blackfish Official Film Site

Sea World = Evil Incarnate.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:22 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,655,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'd skip Sea World and just go to Schlitterbahn and Fiesta Texas (the Six Flags park). If you want to see ocean creatures, visit Corpus Christi or the Dallas World Aquarium.

Home - Dallas World Aquarium : Dallas World Aquarium

Blackfish Official Film Site

Sea World = Evil Incarnate.
Blackfish= propaganda disguised as documentary created to emotionally manipulate weak minded people.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Blackfish= propaganda disguised as documentary created to emotionally manipulate weak minded people.
Opinions.

To the OP: I've been to San Antonio's Sea World. It's lame. You'll love the amusement park.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:44 AM

31,669 posts, read 49,139,249 times
I too don't recommend anyone to go to Sea World--
we did it 30 yrs ago in FL when our kids were young and saw it in SA after it opened--
Have come to see that it type of "park" is very cruel to the inmates used to entertain people to enrich Sea World...

The movie might be "manipulative" because the makers have an opinion and do a very effective job in convincing viewers that opinion is valid...
Sea World does lot of manipulation with its advertising and selling of cute stuffed toys and other memorabelia to convince customers the company isn't abusing orcas and other creatures...

Watch the movie -- google some of the claims made -- and judge for yourself...
Just knowing the sizes of the pens the orcas are kept in most of the time was crushing to me...
Guantanamo in the water...

You can have fun in SA w/o going to SW--lots to do in addition to the amusement park--
the zoo gets high marks (although I have problems how some zoos are designed)
the Alamo is also a must-see
you can do Natural Bridge Caverns--not as great as Carlsbad but still interesting

Old 06-07-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I too don't recommend anyone to go to Sea World--
we did it 30 yrs ago in FL when our kids were young and saw it in SA after it opened--
Have come to see that it type of "park" is very cruel to the inmates used to entertain people to enrich Sea World...

The movie might be "manipulative" because the makers have an opinion and do a very effective job in convincing viewers that opinion is valid...
Sea World does lot of manipulation with its advertising and selling of cute stuffed toys and other memorabelia to convince customers the company isn't abusing orcas and other creatures...

Watch the movie -- google some of the claims made -- and judge for yourself...
Just knowing the sizes of the pens the orcas are kept in most of the time was crushing to me...
Guantanamo in the water...

You can have fun in SA w/o going to SW--lots to do in addition to the amusement park--
the zoo gets high marks (although I have problems how some zoos are designed)
the Alamo is also a must-see
you can do Natural Bridge Caverns--not as great as Carlsbad but still interesting
All terrific suggestions!

Natural Bridge Caverns is fantastic, I went as a kid. It's amazing.

The Riverwalk is a tourist trap but it's still a lot of fun.

San Antonio Activities | Texas Cities | TravelTex - It's like a WHOLE OTHER COUNTRY

Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 PM

910 posts, read 1,004,889 times
We took our boys to Sea World last summer, not sure why, and both my husband and I regretted it almost instantly. It is truly a depressing place. It's bad enough for the animals- and that alone is cause enough to not visit- but I felt the rides were unsafe. My tall, then 7-year old seriously, no exaggeration, almost slid out of the Steel Eel. The restraints are not safe and my husband and I both upset and talked to a park official who noted that my healthy boy was just "too skinny." Um, no. We got home and started talking to friends and evidently many others have noticed the same thing. My husband and I agreed that after doing Disneyworld, anything else is second rate. The same weekend we were there the lady fell out of the roller coaster at Six Flags in Arlington, so I will admit I was a bit freaked at the timing. Then Blackfish came out a couple of weeks later and I was so convicted and sad. Some might say it is "weak minded" to feel compassion but we make it a priority in our family to respect living things. I will add we haven't visited any type of zoo since then and have no plans to do so.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:25 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,085,267 times
Tourist trappy but we enjoyed an evening boat ride around the Riverwalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or