U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 03:11 PM

247 posts, read 304,437 times

Advertisements

There are several homes that I am interested in, however, I am worried because most of them have a large tree either hanging over or close enough to do damage if they or their branches fall. Whether its Ice weighing down branches and high winds, theres no doubt trees can do major damage and kill you if it lands on you.

I know everyone loves "mature" trees but i see danger, I wouldnt want to let a perfect house pass because of a stupid tree.

Does anyone know the policy of "trimming" or cutting down large trees if they are on your lot? Is there anyway i can get around this?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 03:26 PM

4,153 posts, read 8,185,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whj3773 View Post
There are several homes that I am interested in, however, I am worried because most of them have a large tree either hanging over or close enough to do damage if they or their branches fall. Whether its Ice weighing down branches and high winds, theres no doubt trees can do major damage and kill you if it lands on you.

I know everyone loves "mature" trees but i see danger, I wouldnt want to let a perfect house pass because of a stupid tree.

Does anyone know the policy of "trimming" or cutting down large trees if they are on your lot? Is there anyway i can get around this?

thanks
If it's your tree on your lot, have it cut back or removed. Our neighbor had two trees removed last year when the ice caused a large branch to break off and block most of the street. I don't know if you need a permit but I'm assuming the tree people will know and can help you. Personally, I would try cutting the tree back before removing it but thats just me...keep in mind, any branch larger than the diameter of your thumb shouldn't be removed until winter.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:31 PM

is their any city ordinance against cutting down large trees? also, why do you say to only cut it down in winter?

thanks

Old 06-06-2014, 03:43 PM

3,634 posts, read 7,448,249 times
What city are you in? I suspect most cities do not have ordinances about cutting down residential trees. Generally those ordinances address development and the replacement of trees. But you need to contact City Hall for whatever city you are looking in.

Additionally, if it's in a homeowner's association you may be required to have a certain # of caliper inches in your yard (front generally). So if you take out a 14" mature tree, and they require at least 9" you'll be required to add one or more trees to meet that requirement.

Winter is when the trees go dormant and is less damaging to the tree to trim branches then. You can cut a tree down any time of the year since you're killing it anyway.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:55 PM

12,196 posts, read 23,110,799 times
Let me get this straight....you're the poster who wants to live on a 2 acre wooded lot but you have a fear of trees falling on you & killing you? Ok.....

Old 06-06-2014, 04:08 PM

4,153 posts, read 8,185,468 times
Quote:
is their any city ordinance against cutting down large trees? also, why do you say to only cut it down in winter?

thanks
I was talking about trimming the trees or cutting them back vs removing. Trimming large branches before the tree goes dormant could hurt it is why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Let me get this straight....you're the poster who wants to live on a 2 acre wooded lot but you have a fear of trees falling on you & killing you? Ok.....
Even people living in wooded areas will clear large trees or branches away from their homes.

Here is an example of why: An EF-3 Tornado ran through the ranch several years ago missing us by about 1/4 mile. Anyhow, a lot of homes was spared by the tornado but suffered damaged because of near by large trees.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:37 PM

most of the homes ive looked at are in dallas and some parts of richardson,

TC not sure if that was directed at me, i dont remember saying i wanted a 2 acre wooded lot, may have me confused with someone else

Old 06-06-2014, 05:05 PM

212 posts, read 354,166 times
My 50+ year old American Elm made it through the past two years of storms, both wind and ice, just fine. A few branches up high came down in the ice storm; nothing larger than an inch or two in diameter.

It is necessary to keep an eye on it, and having it trimmed correctly wasn't cheap. In the early spring I had a deteriorating lower branch removed and the crown trimmed for top-heaviness. $750, using one of the more well-respected local tree companies.

As to removing trees, easiest way to find out if it is a problem is to call the city response line and ask.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:21 PM

during the last strong storm we had a couple months ago i saw some photos of GIANT trees uprooted and over, seems risky to me having these trees over houses.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:16 PM

24,577 posts, read 34,238,838 times
Quote:
during the last strong storm we had a couple months ago i saw some photos of GIANT trees uprooted and over, seems risky to me having these trees over houses.
Please.

Seriously.

Please.

I was born and raised here and have lived here most of my life. I have five...FIVE...huge mature trees in my front yard. I don't worry about tornados uprooting them.

It is much more likely that the tree will get sick and require removal ($$$). It's also much more likely that despite regular maintenance, a large branch will break off during an ice storm and cut off power. And huge mature trees like ours in this area drop a LOT of leaves in the fall. Unless you have a regular yard guy, you'll be raking until you absolutely hate life and will cheerfully hack at that stupid oak tree with that stupid spring-tined rake until your hands are raw and bloody and you're foaming at the mouth.

But tornados? Hell no, I don't worry about those. They're not worth worrying about. I worry about stuff that's way more likely to happen. I do what I can to prevent my trees from dropping giant limbs on my roof during storms through regular maintenance (i.e. trimming). I leave the rest up to G-d.

P.S. Richardson has no tree ordinances for homeowners that I'm aware of apart from keeping them trimmed so they do not obstruct roads/alleys. The city also requires homeowners to remove dead or very diseased trees because they are much more likely to fall over and damage property or injure people. But if you just wanted to hack trees down, no...no permit necessary. Though your neighbors might hate you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas