U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-06-2014, 05:55 PM
 
5 posts, read 4,708 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello everyone!! I am at a complete loss as to where would be the best place for myself to relocate...so i was hoping if I spoke of what I wanted in a community..maybe someone can help me with the decision...I want to relocate to Houston or Dallas Texas within the year....and have done alot of research on this subject...I am not wanting to get the Dallas Houston war started..I know they eavh have their goods and bads..I just need to know which is good for me...

My first priority is safety...thus I would be looking for homes around Friendswood, Katy or Plano and then commuting to work in/near metro area. I will be working in my degree earned area of a paralegal (if this helps)*
I want to live in a good community thats safe..and am willing to pay alittle extra for that and have a longer commute, but still want a place where i can get most for my money. I am looking to spend around $900-$975 for an apartment..
I would like an area clean, that I can feel comfortable in...
I also have two small dogs that will be movin with me so a community maybe mear or has some dog parks??*
As I mentioned Ive done the reswarch and know both Dallas and Hiuston have their goods and bads..I read that Dallas is more materialistoc..but nicer?? And that Houston is more laid back..but has multiple businesses etc jammed in one small place (no zoning) can someone please advise me that lives there or has lived there on what area is safer for a single woman...cleanest area...and a place where I can start putting my roots..Also I should mention I am in no way into the clubbing scene...going for walks with dogs...watchin a movie at home etc are my ideas of fun

PS someone recently told me that either city...I should plan on getting mugged !!!! WHAT!*

All help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2014, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Dallas
2,132 posts, read 2,682,440 times
Reputation: 3512
Land a job before moving here. I don't know how you'd qualify for a lease without one anyway. After that, you can focus in on apartments and which neighborhood to live in. Houston and Dallas are way to big to zero in on certain areas. Plus, I would assume most legal jobs would be in downtown, since thats where all the courthouses and big law firms are in both cities.

Most of the regular posters will advise you to pick a short commute. Long commutes in both cities are expensive, often involve expensive tolls, dangerous (your way more likely to get hit by a car, than getting mugged), and extremely stressful.
__________________
MODERATOR FOR AUSTIN, DALLAS, FORT LAUDERDALE, & TEXAS
Terms of Service/FAQ/Information for Realtors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 07:00 AM
 
1,190 posts, read 2,199,216 times
Reputation: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpm View Post
And that Houston is more laid back..

PS someone recently told me that either city...I should plan on getting mugged !!!! WHAT!*

All help is appreciated!
I agree with Ronnie. Find a job first and then decide where to live. I am originally from Houston and can tell you that Friendswood and Katy are not central at all. If you ended up working downtown, you would have a very long commute from either city. (45 minutes plus)

As far as Houston being more laid back, I was always told that when we considered our move to Dallas. Both cities are laid back, depending on where you live. As far as people go, everyone is very similar between the two metropolitan areas. I thought I would hate Dallas, but I love living here.

Regarding getting mugged - you can be mugged anywhere. Just keep your eyes open, don't put yourself in a dangerous place intentionally and you should be fine. (no dark alleys in the middle of the night / travel in groups, etc)

Good luck with your decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 07:31 AM
 
9,273 posts, read 9,906,396 times
Reputation: 8029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpm View Post
Hello everyone!! I am at a complete loss as to where would be the best place for myself to relocate...so i was hoping if I spoke of what I wanted in a community..maybe someone can help me with the decision...I want to relocate to Houston or Dallas Texas within the year....and have done alot of research on this subject...I am not wanting to get the Dallas Houston war started..I know they eavh have their goods and bads..I just need to know which is good for me...

My first priority is safety...thus I would be looking for homes around Friendswood, Katy or Plano and then commuting to work in/near metro area. I will be working in my degree earned area of a paralegal (if this helps)*
I want to live in a good community thats safe..and am willing to pay alittle extra for that and have a longer commute, but still want a place where i can get most for my money. I am looking to spend around $900-$975 for an apartment..
I would like an area clean, that I can feel comfortable in...
I also have two small dogs that will be movin with me so a community maybe mear or has some dog parks??*
As I mentioned Ive done the reswarch and know both Dallas and Hiuston have their goods and bads..I read that Dallas is more materialistoc..but nicer?? And that Houston is more laid back..but has multiple businesses etc jammed in one small place (no zoning) can someone please advise me that lives there or has lived there on what area is safer for a single woman...cleanest area...and a place where I can start putting my roots..Also I should mention I am in no way into the clubbing scene...going for walks with dogs...watchin a movie at home etc are my ideas of fun

PS someone recently told me that either city...I should plan on getting mugged !!!! WHAT!*

All help is appreciated!
I can't append a link right now but DFW's metro-wide violent crime rate is significantly lower than metro-Houston's. I'd also quickly add that Friendswood and Katy are both safe cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 07:47 AM
 
5 posts, read 4,708 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you! Yes I want to obtain a job before moving...just want to know where to focus my search at..Dallas or Houston....it is very likely that I will need to relocate to an area based on where I will be working..thus maybe I should look at overall crime statistics etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 10:25 AM
 
12,199 posts, read 23,119,026 times
Reputation: 11182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpm View Post
Thank you! Yes I want to obtain a job before moving...just want to know where to focus my search at..Dallas or Houston....it is very likely that I will need to relocate to an area based on where I will be working..thus maybe I should look at overall crime statistics etc...
Start sending out resumes and networking and see where you get job lead bites. If both cities, visit both. If only one, visit that one.

I could be perfectly happy living either city; Houston's only big negative in my book is that because it's 4 hours south of Dallas and right on the coast, it's much more humid and gets less of the four seasons than Dallas does.

You have picked some suburbs that are very far out from both cities and more family-oriented than professional adult oriented. From what I know of Dallas and Houston, it seems the majority of law firms are in or close to the downtown area. Katy to downtown Houston is about a 1 hour drive each direction in rush hour and there are plenty of safe neighborhoods suitable for a single professional woman between there and downtown. Plano is about a 40 minute drive to downtown, and on an expensive Tollroad if you live on the west side of Plano. Again, plenty of safe neighborhoods closer to work.

You don't need to focus on a city's overall crime rate, focus on the neighborhoods where you'll live and work. I can tell you one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Dallas is less than 3-4 miles from the most expensive and lowest crime neighborhood. Despite being close in proximity, the crime in the bad neighborhood is fairly insulated (mostly drug related). Also keep in mind an astounding amount of murders & assaults are NOT random; they are domestic violence or people who know each other killing each other. Just from watching the local Dallas news, it's very rare that someone is attacked by a stranger. Almost always an angry ex-boyfriend or jealous classmates or rival gang member....and usually in the low income parts of town.

All that to say, Dallas' overall crime rate doesn't bother me. My neighborhood's crime rate is what I care about and it's very very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 PM
 
111 posts, read 188,669 times
Reputation: 80
I am from Plano and just recently moved to Friendswood. Both cities are great. Your best bet for a job will be downtown. From Friendswood during rush hour you are looking at an hour. Katy will be longer. It is growing so much that way and the traffic just gets worse everyday. Several people from my husbands company live there and it takes them 1 1/2 hrs each way. We looked at katy but I just didn't care for the city myself.

Traffic will of course be worse in Houston along with humidity. You are closer to the beach in Friendswood. Only takes us 30 min. Friendswood has a small town feeling. Overall Houston is a larger city so could be a plus for your job search.

Shopping is much better in Dallas and I think the people are friendlier. I also feel it is more laid back.

You really can't go wrong with any of your choices. I have never worried about getting mugged in either city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Katy,TX.
3,616 posts, read 7,294,003 times
Reputation: 3361
All things equal, I would go with Plano hands down. Katy/Friendwood area have MUD taxes with no zoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 09:07 AM
 
111 posts, read 188,669 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
All things equal, I would go with Plano hands down. Katy/Friendwood area have MUD taxes with no zoning.
Only a few areas in Friendswood have MUD taxes. We don't and we live there now. Also Friendswood is very picky on the businesses they allow to come in. You will not find any large chain restaurants or stores. They won't allow them. They want the town to retain the small town feel. You won't find an apartment in Friendswood. The cost of living is high for this town. So that is something to consider. Also the town is predominantly white, like 90+%. So there is very little diversity. The police patrol like crazy here and that is why it is one of the safest towns.

Plano will offer you more choices on apartments and a variety of housing prices. We are biased to North Dallas since we grew up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top