U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 AM

106 posts, read 190,020 times

Advertisements

East Dallas / Lakewood, Kessler Park / North Oak Cliff, north Oak Lawn, Richardson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:43 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,926,785 times
I would pick a school in the Richardson ISD. Very diverse, but still above average schools, especially for being close to Dallas proper (and Lake Highlands is in Dallas proper). I would stay away from DISD.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:59 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,140 times
This is the only drawback of the Park Cities...not as much diversity. There are Asians, Indians, African-Americans, Hispanics in the schools, just not in large numbers. I teach at a preschool in the Park Cities, and there are 5 minority teachers ...not too shabby!

I like to believe my family and I bring much needed color to our neck of the woods Have never had a problem because of it.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:07 AM

954 posts, read 1,533,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_DFW View Post
East Dallas / Lakewood, Kessler Park / North Oak Cliff, north Oak Lawn, Richardson.
I would not put Richardson in the same sentence as Lakewood. Richardson is amazingly diverse. Lakewood is mostly white and hispanic and you can see the segregated section where low income is high on hispanic and high income is high (very) on white....

Old 06-11-2014, 11:45 AM

244 posts, read 321,114 times
We are enjoying the diversity of North Oak Cliff, but schools are either good or terrible. If you choose Dallas, you will have to spend time and effort into researching schools and navigating the magnet or charter process after elementary school. That said, we've a lesbian couple with a kid who live across the street from a large Mexican family, next door to an Italian Family. Our streets are walkable and community oriented, etc etc.

If I had a second choice, Richardson would be it- diversity, good schools, affordable homes, large university.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,932,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
I would not put Richardson in the same sentence as Lakewood. Richardson is amazingly diverse. Lakewood is mostly white and hispanic and you can see the segregated section where low income is high on hispanic and high income is high (very) on white....
Indeed. Lakewood is nowhere near as diverse as Richardson. Not even close.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:13 PM

12,510 posts, read 23,734,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I hear Dallas proper is a liberal utopia of acceptance.
I hope you're being sarcastic (because its not).

Small pockets are, but not the city as a whole.

North Dallas & Park Cities are extremely conservative.

Oaklawn, Oak Cliff, & Old East Dallas are more left leaning.

I would classify Dallas as a socially moderate, politically liberal, fiscally conservative major city.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,235,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Somewhat true, however the schools are very diverse - plus in Lakewood you will also have a very wealthy economic level and very poor level. I don't see too many huge mansions on acreage in Richardson or shotgun shacks - yes we have one street of those by Juliette Fowler.

Interesting that you would use the word, "segregated". Woodrow Wilson/J. L. Long supporters intervened in the desegregation suit on the premise that we were naturally integrated and did not need court ordered cures nor busing. We were affirmed on every level, including the Supreme Court.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,082,316 times
Go eat at an IHOP in Dallas or in Lakewood and then go the IHOP at 121/Preston.

Frisco/Plano has just about any area beat in terms of diversity.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:15 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,173,559 times
Richardson!

Good mixture of east and south Asian, Latino, black and white. There's racial and economic diversity but the schools are high quality. RISD is representative of the world your child will live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas