U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 11:55 AM

390 posts, read 611,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Go eat at an IHOP in Dallas or in Lakewood and then go the IHOP at 121/Preston.

Frisco/Plano has just about any area beat in terms of diversity.
We don't eat at IHOP. We eat at Gold Rush and Taco Joint for breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 7,017 times
The only parts of Dallas that are "diverse" are South Dallas, South Oak Cliff, Pleasant Grove or Five Points. I doubt it if you'd want to live in those neighborhoods. For a suburb, I agree with Richardson. And what type of diversity are we speaking of? Not all "diversity" is welcome in certain areas unless you're East or South Asian.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:52 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,174,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina_Sol View Post
The only parts of Dallas that are "diverse" are South Dallas, South Oak Cliff, Pleasant Grove or Five Points. I doubt it if you'd want to live in those neighborhoods. For a suburb, I agree with Richardson. And what type of diversity are we speaking of? Not all "diversity" is welcome in certain areas unless you're East or South Asian.
Many of the whites in this city would prefer to avoid living amongst lower income Latinos and especially blacks. The tricky part is that Dallas doesn't appear to have a large working class white population (unlike most rural areas and large Northeast cities) for a more accurate comparison. It's hard to say if it's all "race" or if it's tied mostly to class and economics.

Based on the conversations in this forum, I'd say the concern for schools outweighs housing. The desire for their kids to have (Asian) diversity but still go to a school where they're the majority. A school that is regarded highly even if the students are just above average with lots of polish.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:05 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,932,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina_Sol View Post
I think you may be confusing Diverse with black. Statistically, the most diverse areas of Dallas are Northeast Dallas (near Greenville and Forrest), Northwest Dallas (between 35 and Marsh), North Oak Cliff, and Old East Dallas.

However, there are some super diverse suburbs. Garland, Arlington, Euless, Irving, Richardson, Carrollton, and Central/East Plano are diverse by any standard.

Bottom line is that "Dallas" is super diverse, but most of the true diversity is not in the city of Dallas.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:34 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,086,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I think you may be confusing Diverse with black. Statistically, the most diverse areas of Dallas are Northeast Dallas (near Greenville and Forrest), Northwest Dallas (between 35 and Marsh), North Oak Cliff, and Old East Dallas.

However, there are some super diverse suburbs. Garland, Arlington, Euless, Irving, Richardson, Carrollton, and Central/East Plano are diverse by any standard.

Bottom line is that "Dallas" is super diverse, but most of the true diversity is not in the city of Dallas.
Accurate, per usual.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:22 AM

37 posts, read 56,620 times
Huskies, you're attitude disgusts me. I don't have kids, but if I did, I wouldn't subject them to modern American "diversity" engineering. If I had kids, I would teach them practical skills, how to behave and learn properly, and to take pride in who they are...their own family and ethnic background.

And you hate people like me because we are starting to speak out now, we are not just sitting back and taking it.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:04 AM

993 posts, read 2,009,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolph09 View Post
Huskies, you're attitude disgusts me. I don't have kids, but if I did, I wouldn't subject them to modern American "diversity" engineering. If I had kids, I would teach them practical skills, how to behave and learn properly, and to take pride in who they are...their own family and ethnic background.

And you hate people like me because we are starting to speak out now, we are not just sitting back and taking it.

In America you have to live and work with a variety of people. Some people think having their children in such an environment is a good thing. Don't know how that is engineering. Don't know what you are taking and what that has to do with taking pride in their own family and ethnic background.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:36 AM

140 posts, read 195,964 times
We live in the predominantly white suburbs, but my kids have friends who are black, Hindu, Muslim, Catholic, Protestant, Hispanic, immigrants and non-immigrants. Plenty of people live in "diverse" areas, and yet all of their kids' friends are white, because these "diverse" areas tend to have a lot of self-segregation, unlike the predominantly white suburbs,which are highly integrated. So if you actually want your kid to be inside the houses of people from different cultures and religions, to eat dinner with them and play with them outside of school, a moderately diverse area may be more conducive to this goal than a highly diverse area. Also, moderately diverse suburbs tend to have high quality schools.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 AM

21,533 posts, read 12,208,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyks View Post
We live in the predominantly white suburbs, but my kids have friends who are black, Hindu, Muslim, Catholic, Protestant, Hispanic, immigrants and non-immigrants. Plenty of people live in "diverse" areas, and yet all of their kids' friends are white, because these "diverse" areas tend to have a lot of self-segregation, unlike the predominantly white suburbs,which are highly integrated. So if you actually want your kid to be inside the houses of people from different cultures and religions, to eat dinner with them and play with them outside of school, a moderately diverse area may be more conducive to this goal than a highly diverse area. Also, moderately diverse suburbs tend to have high quality schools.
What that means--and I speak from experience--is that the non-White-Anglo-Saxon-Protestant parent who decides to live in a predominantly WASP area provides the surrounding WASPs with the benefit of their children enjoying a "diverse" experience, at the cost of depriving his own children of experiencing growing up within and around their own culture.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 AM

140 posts, read 195,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What that means--and I speak from experience--is that the non-White-Anglo-Saxon-Protestant parent who decides to live in a predominantly WASP area provides the surrounding WASPs with the benefit of their children enjoying a "diverse" experience, at the cost of depriving his own children of experiencing growing up within and around their own culture.

Obviously parents who make this choice see other benefits for their children besides merely providing other children with a diverse experience, benefits that they apparently judge outweigh the costs. And typically they give their children a chance to experience their culture through family, friends, mosque (or temple or church), cultural community groups, supplemental religious or cultural or language schooling, etc. When we lived in a predominantly non-Protestant neighborhood, my kids still experienced Protestant culture because I took them to church and church-related activities.

At any rate, I was only addressing the poster who said he wanted to give his own kids a "diverse" experience and noting that mere numerical diversity on paper may not be as sure a way to do that as living in an area that is non-self-segregating.

It sometimes seems to me that the people who talk the most and loudest about how much they value "diversity" are the ones least likely to have actual, close friends of different races and religions. Maybe that's because when you approach someone as a feather to stick in your "look how diverse I am" cap, they are less inclined to want to be friends with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas