U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:56 AM

24,577 posts, read 34,243,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
78 while home would be like sitting around in a sauna, and 76 at night is certainly way to hot.

72 while home. Less at night varying with outside temps.
You'd hate my house; I keep it at 80F when the AC's on. Right now, it's not even on. I ran the whole house fan earlier, then cut it off when the outside temps went over 80F. Right now I'm on the couch with the patio door wide open and the screen door shut. It's a little humid in here but it doesn't bother me.

I do this because I don't want $300-$400 electric bills every month, which is what they'd be if I tried to run my older, too-small system at 76F all the time. I think I'd be lucky to get off at $400, honestly. Several years ago I had a live-in BF who kept turning the AC down to 76F and my electric bills were about $375 in summer. That used to really **** me off. I was too cold AND paying big bills for it.

Right now I'm looking at maybe having a new system put in...not because I'm hot, but because mine is struggling to keep the house at 80F on some days, it leaks freon (like a LOT of systems do), it's too small for the house (should have another half ton to a ton), and parts of the system are over 15 years old. So, it's time to start looking at changing it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 10:07 AM

714 posts, read 663,751 times
Thanks for all the responses guys. For some reason, anything below 71 makes me sweat especially with the humidity in Dallas. I woke up several nights sweating and found the thermostat was set at 73F. I know its ridiculous to cool down the entire house for just 1 person, is there an alternative like a portable/mobile cooler unit which could be moved around? I know some Asian countries have it.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:13 AM

4,183 posts, read 4,348,001 times
Quote:
is there an alternative like a portable/mobile cooler unit which could be moved around?
Absolutely. For such a large house, I'd have about 3 different systems. First and at the least, one A/C for each level. So you don't cool the upper level if you are not up there, and you don't cool the lower level at night if your bedroom is upstairs.

3rdly, I'd have a single ductless AC for your bedroom (and another for an office or any other room you spend a lot of time in during the day), and that's the one I'd set to keep your bedroom extra cold while you are sleeping or office extra cold while you are working. that way you can adjust your main a/cs to be a bit higher but your room you occupy will be freezing.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:37 AM

24,577 posts, read 34,243,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys. For some reason, anything below 71 makes me sweat especially with the humidity in Dallas. I woke up several nights sweating and found the thermostat was set at 73F. I know its ridiculous to cool down the entire house for just 1 person, is there an alternative like a portable/mobile cooler unit which could be moved around? I know some Asian countries have it.
Um...I know it's none of my business, but...

Is Your Sweating Excessive?

Old 06-08-2014, 04:09 PM

117 posts, read 149,994 times
Get a ceiling fan for your BR.

I have a ductless system in our 2nd living room over the garage and it's awesome. Saves me from having to separate ducted systems and i only run it when we're in there.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:05 PM

954 posts, read 1,533,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
78 while home would be like sitting around in a sauna, and 76 at night is certainly way to hot.

72 while home. Less at night varying with outside temps.
I don't know about your home but ours is very comfortable at that temp. It is a 2013 build so probably the insulation is new so protects well from outside weather. The dehumidifier keeps the humidity under 50% all the time...

Old 06-08-2014, 06:26 PM

714 posts, read 663,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Absolutely. For such a large house, I'd have about 3 different systems. First and at the least, one A/C for each level. So you don't cool the upper level if you are not up there, and you don't cool the lower level at night if your bedroom is upstairs.

3rdly, I'd have a single ductless AC for your bedroom (and another for an office or any other room you spend a lot of time in during the day), and that's the one I'd set to keep your bedroom extra cold while you are sleeping or office extra cold while you are working. that way you can adjust your main a/cs to be a bit higher but your room you occupy will be freezing.
Thanks TheOverdog. I was thinking something like this. So I don't have to worry about redesigning anything in the house.
LG Electronics 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Function with Remote Control (48 Pints/Day)-LP0814WNR at The Home Depot

Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 PM

35,333 posts, read 38,769,849 times
Also, get your AC Serviced. It may be low on Freon and not matter how low your set it.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:26 PM

153 posts, read 182,619 times
Clearly, the OP is talking about a house located in, uh, that is, located in, um, uh... yeah.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:10 AM

11 posts, read 6,188 times
I think the cost of av bill for 4600 sq.ft. will be $300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or