U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,159 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been hired by a school district in the Spring, but gets a job at a better school district over the summer and teaches at the better school district instead?

Would there be repercussions with the first school district if I turn down their teaching position before the school year begins?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 04:55 PM

12,216 posts, read 23,164,360 times
1. Did you sign a contract with district #1? If so, read it to find the answer. Did you teach there last spring or get hired in the spring to start in August?

2. If you're free and clear from any contractual obligations, the only negative of resigning (before you start) and going to the other district is burning bridges. I don't know how often principals or administrators move from district to district, but in my industry it happens a lot. We hired someone once who showed up for two days, then resigned because a competitor offered him a vp job. That was almost 7 years ago and I STILL remember his full name and the company he joined. Yes, it was just really bad timing that his interview process for both companies made him end up in that position, but it was also just really unprofessional of him the way the situation was handled. Point being, you'll have to judge yourself (or lean on other teaching professionals) to decide how risky burning bridges is for you.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:59 PM

910 posts, read 1,007,843 times
I will warn you that the memories of ISDs in TX are long indeed. As the PP mentioned, burn those bridges with extreme caution.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:41 AM

112 posts, read 155,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
1. Did you sign a contract with district #1? If so, read it to find the answer. Did you teach there last spring or get hired in the spring to start in August?

2. If you're free and clear from any contractual obligations, the only negative of resigning (before you start) and going to the other district is burning bridges. I don't know how often principals or administrators move from district to district, but in my industry it happens a lot. We hired someone once who showed up for two days, then resigned because a competitor offered him a vp job. That was almost 7 years ago and I STILL remember his full name and the company he joined. Yes, it was just really bad timing that his interview process for both companies made him end up in that position, but it was also just really unprofessional of him the way the situation was handled. Point being, you'll have to judge yourself (or lean on other teaching professionals) to decide how risky burning bridges is for you.
Teachers can back out of contracts 45 days before the start of fall classes. This years cut off date is July 11. After that the only way to back out of a contract without taking a hit to teaching career is if the school district agrees to let you out(this is how midyear district/school changes happen). Backing out of a contract outside of the cutoff window without good cause(and the school district won't voluntarily allow you to back out) is grounds for suspension of certification.

If you jump ship now, don't even plan on going back to the school district that originally offered you the job.

Also, if you are doing Alt Cert and an internship, or you are on probationary certification, I would NOT back out of the first job offer.

Last edited by Wrecked; 06-15-2014 at 04:52 AM..

Old 06-15-2014, 09:33 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,720,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
Teachers can back out of contracts 45 days before the start of fall classes. This years cut off date is July 11. After that the only way to back out of a contract without taking a hit to teaching career is if the school district agrees to let you out(this is how midyear district/school changes happen). Backing out of a contract outside of the cutoff window without good cause(and the school district won't voluntarily allow you to back out) is grounds for suspension of certification.

If you jump ship now, don't even plan on going back to the school district that originally offered you the job.

Also, if you are doing Alt Cert and an internship, or you are on probationary certification, I would NOT back out of the first job offer.
This is EXACTLY correct! I taught in several districts in Austin and Houston and this is standard across the state. And yeah you really won't be welcome back at that district if you apply again. I turned down an offer from the Los Angeles school district back in 04 and when I got hired out here in 2012 and went in for my contract signing, they had a note in my file from way back when. I had a REALLY cool HR counselor and she shared that with me, but luckily I have hard to find certifications in Autism and am bilingual (Spanish) so they hired me anyways.

And that district you have a contract with can hold your certification (in Texas) for the length of the contract (new hires are one year).

Side note: We had a district level supervisor when I worked in Houston who was simultaneously supervising for a neighboring school district and collecting two large salaries. She was shuttling back and forth all day and hiding where she was at. That lasted 6 months before she got caught and now she is pretty much out of a career. They went after her certificate for it. I'm not sure how TEA didn't catch it in the first place or TRS when two district would have had claims on her. She was actually darn good at her job too! It was a shame to see her go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or