U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:03 PM

24,576 posts, read 34,290,563 times

Advertisements

Don't leave the dog outdoors. If your kid is "messing with" the dog and you're leaving it outside while you're at work, find another home for it where it will be properly loved and cared for.

No offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 3,031 times
Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Thanks all. I felt the water with a different flavor compared to CO as well. May be that could be a reason. I will try giving him filtered water. Also its not the dog but the kid that abuses him.
I volunteer for a pet rescue and the kindest thing would be to find a loving home for your dog. It's hard with a baby and a toddler (my two kids were 15 mos apart) but a toddler needs to be taught that it is never OK to abuse a dog or treat another living thing badly . As much as we hate to see dogs surrendered, taking advantage of the good nature of a dog like that is not good. I think this pup has bigger concerns than the flavor of his drinking water.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:07 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,703,310 times
I agree with the above poster. We have a Dalmatian that is definitely "my dog". She is sweet towards everyone, but she is always connected to me and not as social as most other breeds. We also have a 2 year old and a 6 month old. It has been a struggle with the toddler, as the dog would often run and some times moan/growl(no teeth showing, just hey get off of me) at the 2 year, but we have worked very hard with both of them and they are both learning to love each other. The dog has realized that she sometimes gets table food from him(lol) and he is always willing to give her attention, while the 2 year old is learning to be sweet to the dog and how to feed and fill her water bowl. It can really take a long time to get them accustomed to each other(especially with an older established dog), but everyone will be happier in the long run.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 AM

31,722 posts, read 49,222,313 times
If I remember correctly--when a dog becomes overheated and dehydrated, they WILL sometimes refuse water...
not saying that is your dog's problem because when it happens it is progressive and dog usually gets very ill quickly...

Are you using the same water bowl as before?
does your dog have a collar with tags that clink on the bowl?
sometimes that can throw a dog off its drinking or eating...

Our dog is min-schnauzer who is skittish--afraid of storms and can sense one coming sometimes a day before--at times we have to give her tranqs to calm her down and easy anxiety...traveling does same thing--no car sick but just nervous--
when she is apprehensive she will slow down her eating and water intake--

have you found a vet here? Is it possible your dog is still stressed from the move--
especially if it was not used to being outside as much as now?

Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Mvc

173 posts, read 150,823 times
You should gate off the kid or the dog (inside) until your child learns to be gentle with the dog. It is inhumane to leave a dog outside in the Texas heat when they aren't drinking enough water, and could lead to death from dehydration.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:44 PM

5,650 posts, read 5,217,127 times
I have four dogs and watch my 2 year old granddaughter and 8 month old grandson. They have been taught not to do anything to the dogs that would hurt or tease them. It took some careful watching, and my immediate attention if I saw my grandkids doing anything to them that I didn't like.

Your 2 year old is capable (with assistance) of filling the dogs bowl with food, brushing him, and giving the dogs some treats. Make the dog his/her friend, not some creature who is not part of the family. The teasing should stop when the child can empathize with the dogs feelings.

It's a totally different summer down here than it is in Denver. Please don't leave the dog outside in this Texas heat.

As far as the water, I agree....try filtered. It's probably the new and different taste and smell of the tap water that is making the dog reluctant to drink it.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 PM

11,579 posts, read 10,238,653 times
Back in Louisiana where I grew up, everyone, I mean everyone had outside dogs, and the heat is worse there with the extra humidity. Many of those dogs actually lived a lot longer than the dogs that live in AC do here. We had an outdoor dog that lived 16 years. But we also had a swimming pool for the dog to cool off in, and our dog loved the crawl space under our house in the heat. We gave him plenty of exercise and he did just fine.

We also had outdoor cats and they love the heat, I remember them suntanning themselves in 95 degree weather, but they are from the desert and from what I've read can withstand 120 degrees temps before they start to get uncomfortable. They would try to get inside in the winter, because they hated the cold, so we would put them in our glassed in porch with space heaters on those cold nights. That particular outdoor cat lasted 20 years.

So, I always find it funny that there are so many people on here, many who grew up in cold climates or west coast maritime climates, that believe that animals cannot adapt to the heat. It runs contrary to everything that I have seen growing up in the Gulf South. I do agree that some breeds of dogs, for instance pugs, cannot adapt to heat, but labs are usually pretty resilient.

Dogs can do fine outside, but you must take precautions. Freeze the water bowl the night before. Have a hose dripping near the patio, buy some misters. There are solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas