Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,627 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for advice on how best to continue directing my son who has rated highly in PISD elementary. I wouldn't personally say he's gifted, but would rather say he can do better. I follow the philosophy that one's measure should be themselves, and not others, since invariably there is someone better in some way. He currently has just finished 3rd grade.

In terms of academics, his report card is greater than 95 in all respects; he's a CogAT 1%'er (99/99/99/9A); he qualified for Math Rocks; he's been in PACE since he joined PISD; he receives random certificates and medals from school. I have him in a Chinese after school program, as much for cultural and language immersion and socializing, as for academics. We are Chinese by descent, but not recent immigrants - English is our mother tongue. We leave weekends for a mixture of family, sports, fun and academics.

We honestly never thought him to be gifted, since our benchmark was just ourselves. Others said "your child is smart, you should enter him in a math content". Sure enough, he didn't do well initially. But he showed interest in succeeding, so I gave him some problems from the internet over the course of the year. The next year he placed in the top 3 at 2 contests. He recently expressed interest in financial markets, algebra and calculus. He's enrolled in online IXL and Beestar math programs, as well as some he continues from school (Big Brainz I think). And he is playing with Scratch programming. The majority of this is natural than forced. We constantly tell him that if he loses interest, then he doesn't have to do anything beyond school work. We allowed him to drop extra curricular Art for example because of this lack of interest, and never pursued Music with him.

On the one hand, his results tells me that he may have a chance at a top position at PWSH if his progress continues. But for all I know, there are a 100 other students just like him, and standardized testing is more for educators showing they can make the grade than showing exceptional talent of students.

I'd appreciate thoughts on what programs and activities within and outside of PISD that others would think are beneficial, and how I can continue offering him opportunities and challenges. Our end goal is for him to be happy without entitlement, and academically attend the college and major of his choice.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,897,188 times
Probably too late for this summer, but you should definitely have him enroll in the PACE summer school program, at least through the end of elementary school.

--

UTD is running a laundry list of computer-related summer camps:

Summer - K12 - The University of Texas at Dallas

--

Looking down the line to middle school/high school, several tippy-top math kids in PISD take part in this seminar:

Metroplex Math Circle | Mathematical Problem Solving in North Texas

--

My kid did a half-dozen of the CTY Online courses over the years. Highly recommended.

Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth - A World Leader in Gifted Education

---

Aside from the academics, you might want to brainstorm an activity or two (Scouts, a sporting activity, etc.) that involves group socialization in the general population. I've seen a few kids whose entire childhood universe has been set in "China world" or "India world" - all they do is ethnic activities, such as Chinese school, DAAYO, Hindu/Muslim/Buddhist activities, etc. IMO, that doesn't end well when high school rolls around - those kids are completely out of the loop.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 7,627 times
Thank you for the recommendations. The UTD program I didn't know about. I do have him enrolled in SIGS (PISD summer program).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas