Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times

Advertisements

The wife & I are attending a production at this venue one evening in August and would like to stay in a decent to nice hotel close by. We do have a parking pass and will most likely drive there, but want to be in the neighborhood so as to avoid any freeway/highway traffic. Also we want to avoid staying in any sketchy areas and be near some good eateries.

We have not stayed in downtown Dallas in 30 years, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:10 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
Also we want to avoid staying in any sketchy areas and be near some good eateries.
Sorry, I don't know of any hotels around the area, but my opinion:

The inside of the place is beautiful. Be in your seats a bit early to see the chandelier disappear into the ceiling. It's pretty cool.
The (cheap) seats I sat in are incredibly upright and uncomfortable.
The site lines and sound are great.
The food inside is terrible and overpriced, so dining before hand is a good idea. Putting the name "wolfgang puck" on a 7-11 chicken salad sandwich does not raise the price to $9.
The neighborhood around when I was there was very sketchy and empty. I think it has improved since I was last there a bit more than a year ago.

All that said, Winspear is amazing but Bass Hall in Ft Worth is even more amazing and the area around is much better. If you can trade your tickets for there (for many shows you can) and are making it a special evening, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
The Sheraton, The Fairmount, The Westin at the Plaza of the Americas,The omni. All the hotels in Downtown is walking distance to the Winspear.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:25 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Any of the downtown hotels would fit your needs. There are a lot more restaurants downtown than when you were last here.

Try the Adolphus for a more historic hotel, the Magnolia right down the street, or The Joule for something a bit more contemporary. The Winspear would be a very short drive or taxi ride away

Downtown Dallas Hotels- The Adolphus- Dallas Luxury Hotel, Texas, TX

Downtown Dallas Hotels | Magnolia Hotel Dallas | Boutique Hotels in Dallas Texas

Downtown Dallas, TX Hotels - The Joule Dallas Hotel

Or you could stay in Uptown at the boutique Hotel ZaZa, close to lots of restaurants/bars, and take the free trolley for the short ride into the Arts District from your hotel to the Winspear.

Texas Boutique Hotels | Hotel ZaZa | Art Hotels in Texas

The Crescent, Ritz-Carlton, and W Hotel are also nearby.

Uptown Dallas Hotels | Dallas Luxury Hotels | Rosewood Crescent

Old 06-11-2014, 10:37 AM

118 posts, read 252,944 times
The Crescent Hotel is down the street and is walkable.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:40 AM

122 posts, read 163,014 times
Stay at ZaZa. Use EFrogs to get around: Home | EFROGS

Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWtransplant189 View Post
The Crescent Hotel is down the street and is walkable.
This. If you have the budget. The absolute gold standard in Dallas.

If you want super walkable, the Sheraton is the closest hotel but it's so large and unpersonable.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:38 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The Sheraton, The Fairmount, The Westin at the Plaza of the Americas,The omni. All the hotels in Downtown is walking distance to the Winspear.
I would not consider the Omni in walking distance. It's about 1.5 miles away AND through the worst part of downtown, from a safety perspective. I woule NEVER recommend the Omni to anyone except someone coming in for a convention.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:20 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The wife & I are attending a production at this venue one evening in August and would like to stay in a decent to nice hotel close by. We do have a parking pass and will most likely drive there, but want to be in the neighborhood so as to avoid any freeway/highway traffic. Also we want to avoid staying in any sketchy areas and be near some good eateries.

We have not stayed in downtown Dallas in 30 years, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
The usual hotels listed are nice (Crescent, Ritz, ZaZa, etc.). However, they are going to be very large, and dare I say, not personal.

I would consider one other hotel that is right by the Crescent (within 2-3 miles of the venue), but only has 7 rooms and one of the best restaurants in Dallas. Moreover, if you don't want a fancy meal, because that is what they serve, you are within 2 miles of a dozen good places to eat.

See below:

Suite Seven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas